Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stones' ex-manager sets record straight (Read 1,040 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Stones' ex-manager sets record straight
Sep 30th, 2008 at 3:34pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Stones' ex-manager sets record straight
03:01 AEST Wed Oct 1 2008ago
By Steph Gardiner

When Sam Cutler reunited with the Rolling Stones four decades after he was dropped as their tour manager, he was warmly greeted by rock and roll standards.

"F**k me, Sam Cutler. Or should I say f**k you?," legendary guitarist Keith Richards said when he saw Cutler backstage at a 2003 Australian concert.

Cutler remembers the moment in his new book You Can't Always Get What You Want, a memoir about his time on the road with the Stones and the Grateful Dead.

He hadn't seen the band since a 1969, when a man was stabbed and killed by Hells Angels during the Rolling Stones' set at a free concert in the US.

His memoir describes how he was left behind to clear the air with Hells Angels members even after Mick Jagger told him to "split" in the wake of the now notorious Altamont gig.

Despite Cutler's history with the band, reuniting with the Stones in 2003 was a lot like seeing family, he says.

"It was nice, I enjoyed it. It's a bit like meeting your aunt after many years. They were very kind," Cutler told AAP from Brisbane.

"Nice to see that everyone had lived through the experience."

Cutler hopes to clear up any misconceptions about the Rolling Stones' role in the violent concert in his book.

Rock and roll legend has it that the band paid the Hells Angels $500 to act as security, which led to the stabbing death of Meredith Hunter, a concert-goer who was carrying a gun.

But Cutler writes that the band felt compelled to play the free concert and were told by Hells Angels members, "Nothing's gonna happen to your band, get `em to play and it'll all be cool."

"There's a lot of rubbish written about the Rolling Stones, especially the thing at Altamont, that we hired the Hells Angels ... and it was the Rolling Stone's free concert which it wasn't," Cutler says.

"It's kind of enter rock and roll mythology that we organised the concert, which we didn't.

"That we were responsible for what went down, which in part we were, but only in part.

"I wanted to write my version of the truth."

After the terrifying experience at Altamont - which he writes was "the worst violence I had ever seen" - he went on to work with the Grateful Dead.

He has happier memories managing that band, who he describes as "an extended hippy family".

"I still consider myself a member of the Grateful Dead family," he says.

"If you were around the Rolling Stones you were either a friend or a person in the band or Mick or Keith had hired you to work for the band.

"Mick was basically in control of it all.

"In the Grateful Dead it was all very much looser, who knows where half the people came from.

"The Grateful Dead directly kept about 40 people, whereas the Rolling Stones would never dream of doing that."

Cutler considers his stories of rock and roll debauchery - he writes about smoking a joint with Jimi Hendrix and hanging out with Janis Joplin - his own part in contemporary history.

But these days his rock star lifestyle has been replaced with time spent "writing and daydreaming" in Australia, away from the stresses of the music industry.

"A tour manager is a combination of many things from a psychologist to a friend to an employee a confidant," he said.

"We have to wear multiple hats - a tour manager is the person who handles all the stress."

He jokes his next book will be about "Sex for the over-80s".

As for the Rolling Stones, Cutler predicts they won't stop rocking until they're dead - and even then they may still be playing in heaven.

"Eventually, I think they'll die on the job which is great," he says.

"They can't do anything else other than be musicians, that's what they are.

"So they've embraced that totally and there's no reason you should stop until they're dead.

"And who knows, maybe they'll get a job playing harp for God."

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Re: Stones' ex-manager sets record straight
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 3:51pm
quite honestly, i would rather hear it from the stones that  they can't do this anymore, and call it quits, rather than this die on stage thing/idea.

Are you fucking serious?
« Last Edit: Sep 30th, 2008 at 5:05pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #2 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:09pm
" Eventually, I think they'll die on the job which is great," he says.

"They can't do anything else other than be musicians, that's what they are.

"So they've embraced that totally and there's no reason you should stop until they're dead. "

Amen . Beautiful .

Hopefully they will still be gigging when they are in their nineties .

Frig ....why not ?!

'kins

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #3 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 4:34pm
"FOR THE FIRST TIME IN THREE YEARS,THE GREATEST ROCK N ROLL BAND IN THE WORLD,THE ROLLING STONES!"

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Sep 30th, 2008 at 11:35pm

Sam and Mick in Detroit

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Keefj200
Rocks Off Regular

Ain't I tough enough?

Pensacola, Florida
Reply #5 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 7:26am
Cutler's voice in the opening strains of Get Your Ya Yas Out sets the tone for the entire album.  That intro was and is magic.   Wow!

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #6 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 9:49am
Keefj200 wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 7:26am:
Cutler's voice in the opening strains of Get Your Ya Yas Out sets the tone for the entire album.  That intro was and is magic.   Wow!

Yes was just going to post the same thing!..Detroit says its hellos....The fantastic 5.....man pure magic!

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:51pm
Quote:
quite honestly, i would rather hear it from the stones that  they can't do this anymore, and call it quits, rather than this die on stage thing/idea.

Are you fucking serious?

That WAS a quote of what KEEF & MICK have said, at the 05 Press Conference in NYC. Press asked "Will this be the last tour?' MICK said there will never be a last tour, they will continue to tour until one of them dies, and KEEF added he would die playing guitar, right on the stage. I wonder if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's a great way to go! As in the lyrics to IORR ~ suicide right on the stage ~ a form of suicide ~ pushing the envelope for any one of the 64+ year old Rolling Stones!  I love their dedication!

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 6:01pm
Bitch wrote on Oct 1st, 2008 at 1:51pm:
Quote:

Are you fucking serious?

That WAS a quote of what KEEF & MICK have said, at the 05 Press Conference in NYC. Press asked "Will this be the last tour?' MICK said there will never be a last tour, they will continue to tour until one of them dies, and KEEF added he would die playing guitar, right on the stage. I wonder if it's a self-fulfilling prophecy, but it's a great way to go! As in the lyrics to IORR ~ suicide right on the stage ~ a form of suicide ~ pushing the envelope for any one of the 64+ year old Rolling Stones!  I love their dedication!

there's probably no other band that can die on stage as a group other than the stones.  them saying that was a few years ago now.  i hope they have come to their senses.  i am one of their biggest fans.  i would rather not see them go like that.........literally.  at this point in time,  if i can get one more [brand new song cd] from them and 1-3 more concerts out of them i will die a happy man, if you know what i mean.

die on stage..........what nonsense.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2008 at 6:15pm
It's a metaphor, man.  They're not talking about literally dying on the stage.  

Moliere, however, did die on stage.  But he lived a long time ago.  In 17th century France. And was much younger.  And acting, not singing or playing the guitar.  But he wrote the play he was acting in when he died.  On stage.  It was about a hypochondriac.  Now that's ironic.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)