Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Blogger Arrested For Leaking G N' R Tracks (nsc) (Read 923 times)
left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Blogger Arrested For Leaking G N' R Tracks (nsc)
Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:27pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

A 27-year-old man from Culver City, Los Angeles, was arrested Wednesday by federal police on suspicion of violating federal copyright law after posting online nine previously unreleased songs from 1990s rock icon Guns N’ Roses.

Kevin Cogill, 27, seems to have taken his admiration for Guns N’ Roses one step too far by posting nine previously unreleased tracks on a website, inviting fellow Guns N’ Roses fans and anyone else interested to listen to the rare audio gift.

The nine tracks appear on the band’s upcoming new album, “Chinese Democracy,” and mysteriously made their way into Cogill’s hands.

Ever the generous blogger, Cogill put them online on www.antiquiet.com in June. His move was a success, from one point of view, as the site soon crashed.

According to court papers, Cogill eventually removed the tracks from the site, when the band intervened. Larry Solters, a spokesman for Guns N’ Roses, said the band “had been made aware of the arrest and are leaving the matter to the authorities.”

Cogill appeared in court on Wednesday and was released on $10,000 bail. He faces a maximum of three years in prison if convicted, and five years if he is found to have had a financial gain from his action.

Cogill is due to appear in court again on 17 September. Prosecutors said the leak could lead to “significant” financial loss for Guns N’ Roses.

The arrest was welcomed by the Recording Industry Association of America, the main trade group fighting the proliferation of music online.

"The arrest of Kevin Cogill is great for the recording industry related to our online investigations. We are very pleased with the FBI's interest and the US attorney's office's aggressiveness in pursuing this investigation," said Kathy Leodler, the RIAA's director of investigations. "We think we'll see more and more of these pre- release cases."

The rock band gained momentum in 1987 with the release of “Appetite for Destruction” and was greatly successful in the following years. Its last album to be released is 1993’s “The Spaghetti Incident?”.

Guns N’ Roses have been working on “Chinese Democracy,” which has no official release date yet, for a decade.

A new song from “Chinese Democracy,” titled “Shackler’s Revenge,” will be available for legal listening starting with September, when Harmonix and MTV Games release Rock Band 2.

from eFluxMedia

IP Logged

steeldrivinghammer
Ex Member

Re: Blogger Arrested For Leaking G N' R Tracks (ns
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:39pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:27pm:
Guns N’ Roses have been working on “Chinese Democracy,” which has no official release date yet, for a decade.

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:41pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 7:50pm
He should be arrested for bad taste Ouch!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2008 at 8:21pm
the new album is super!  Axl should get over it and release it as most real fans have owned 8-10 tracks of it for some years now....we'll still buy it when it comes out....

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #4 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 1:47am
They should be giving the guy free backstage passes for life and hand him over the management, not suing or arresting him.
Someone's got to make the decision to finally release the thing, *hint, hint Axl*

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2008 at 6:28am
Glad I only posted "30 seconds" (LOL) samples of A Bigger Bang. "Thirty seconds over winterland" was the name of the thread, I can't imagine the Stones management against us,

you made a grown man cry

That was the reason I posted in low rate conversion, at different speed and just a tate. Don't have any remorse, as I'm sure all of you who listened bought the CD the first day or week, in fact I'm sure we promoted the album

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #6 - Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:33pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 29th, 2008 at 6:28am:
Glad I only posted "30 seconds" (LOL) samples of A Bigger Bang. "Thirty seconds over winterland" was the name of the thread, I can't imagine the Stones management against us,

you made a grown man cry

That was the reason I posted in low rate conversion, at different speed and just a tate. Don't have any remorse, as I'm sure all of you who listened bought the CD the first day or week, in fact I'm sure we promoted the album

I think the way you handled it was beautiful. I still have no idea how in the world or where you got them and guess what .... I won't ask Wink .

Regardless, the way you did it was like giving us a sneak peak at lower quality audio samples which in no way even came close to letting the whole thing out of the bag. It was done quite tastefully. I was impressed.

**Although I CERTAINLY agree that Chinese Democracy is completely a different story. Fans have been told so many times the record was coming out and it hasn't. There is STILL no release date. It has been ten years and still there is no official word (even if there was you have to ask yourself ..would anyone take it seriously?). I say, in this scenario it is perfectly fine. As far as Chinese Democracy goes I have little to no interest. I lost patience with this years ago. They cannot do it so someone has to do it for them. In actuality it serves them right.

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2008 at 10:35pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #7 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 12:13am
Anyone interested had the album (or most of it) years ago anyway.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #8 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:45am
lotsajizz wrote on Aug 31st, 2008 at 12:13am:
Anyone interested had the album (or most of it) years ago anyway.

Well so they say. Not a single thing any official statement that was released came to light or panned out so I don't know how anyone can go on the assumption that tracks that are "supposed" to be on there will be. Heck anything is possible (or impossible..) when it comes to the material and this album. Maybe some other material we weren't aware of would show up as well? I am sure some things we'd know but who knows exactly what would be released if it ever actually DID happen.

Then again, ...who cares Wink

Ian
« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2008 at 1:51am by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #9 - Aug 31st, 2008 at 9:50pm
do you know what the fuck you're saying even 10% of the time?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)