Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"Let it Bleed" with Dwayne Dopsie! JazzFest, New Orleans, La - May 2, 2024 © Chris Granger, The Times-Picayune

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Annie Leibovitz: Life Through A Lens (Read 799 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Annie Leibovitz: Life Through A Lens
Aug 8th, 2008 at 6:25pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Movie Review - Annie Leibovitz: Life Through A Lens

Sharp focus on life behind a lens 
August 8, 2008
By Diane de Beer
Director: Barbara Leibovitz
Classification: 10M

Running time: 99 minutes
Rating: ****

It's probably coincidence - but gloriously so - that this film, which deals with one of the world's most fascinating photographers, is released in time for Women's Day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEjho8I8XBY

Annie Leibovitz's hard work saw her rise to the top, but what also had a huge impact on her career was her partnership with one of the most interesting minds of our time, Susan Sontag, who brought a different dynamic to the photographer's work.

You might never have heard the name Annie Leibovitz, but without knowing it, you've probably seen some of her iconic pictures.

She first worked for Rolling Stone magazine as a young gonzo-type photographer and now she's become THE photographer to the stars.

When Annie calls, they're there.

Think Miley Cyrus and the recent brouhaha about the too- sexy pictures in Vanity Fair, that was Leibovitz. If you've seen the photo of Yoko Ono and John Lennon lying in a fetal position or the one of Whoopi Goldberg in a bath of milk or perhaps the nude pregnancy shots of Demi Moore - all of them Ms Leibovitz 

She's always had the eye and knows how to capture images of famous people and events that will make the world stop and take notice.

In the earlier Rolling Stones magazine days, many could argue that her work had more of an edge. These days, with her legendary Vanity Fair covers, it does have a staged feel, but that goes with both the time and the territory. The choice is the viewers'.

In this celebrity-struck world we live in, Annie's story is a mesmerising one as she has any celeb at her beck and call. She wants a picture, she'll get it. What more could any girl want?

That's the thing, though. The woman in question, Annie Leibovitz, seems pretty unfazed by it all. The documentary, which is shot by her younger sister, is done with care, yet seems to deal with all the controversy as well.

When Leibovitz, as a young journo, was invited on a Rolling Stones tour, she was warned about the drugs - didn't take it seriously - got her pictures, but also got hooked. It's dealt with and like in life, they move on as Leibovitz simply keeps snapping away.

The real story is the way she looks at the world and always has. If she has to deal with any emotion, she does it through a lens. From the death of her father, her partner, the lives of her children, her childhood memories and then all those faces recognised around the world, the way she looks at all of that, is to catch them in the moment.

If you liked … Almost Famous … you will love this.

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: Annie Leibovitz: Life Through A Lens
Reply #1 - Aug 9th, 2008 at 10:26pm
Annie---the quentessential photographer. I'm sure this is a very interesting movie!

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 12:37pm
she takes amazing photos.  she is a very talented photographer.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

TomL
Rocks Off Regular

Change the Fucking sets

Sweet Virginia
Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2008 at 5:24pm
Here Here.

...Her love is ecstasy When her arms enfold me I hear her tender rhapsody But in reality, she doesn't Fucking know me...JMI once again..... running away with me...........

IP Logged

caro
Rocks Off Regular

France
Reply #4 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 11:21am
Here are some excerpts from Annie's book -- sorry if this was already posted !

http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2008/10/annie_excerpt200810

I love the part about Arnold Schwarzenegger.
"We were shooting on the beach, and he said he had a horse, and I said, Well, bring it along, not thinking much about it. I couldn’t believe it when the horse showed up. It looked like Arnold."

Invisible Avatar Posting

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 10:53pm
Caro!!!

I'm back from a very short exile and find you back in action! (I saw your previous messages too one in April to give us a warm welcome)

Bienvenu de retour mon ami
« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2008 at 8:38am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 1:51pm
She used to be Susan Sontag's lesbian lover!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)