Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Metamorphosis (Read 1,134 times)
Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

The Artist Formerly Known
as Daethgod

Ocean Grove Australia Earth
Metamorphosis
Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:48am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
what a CD
had this on vinyl for years and scored the CD in a second hand CD shop today.

great to hear the boys almost sounding innocent in a lot of tracks.

The 'tough ballads' start with stuff like 'Id Much Rather Be With the Boys'

and the sleazy rock strut of 'Jiving Sister Fanny' is tops.

fark i love 'rediscovering' my fave band

we are lucky to love a band that has so much stuff to get jiggy with.

:howefun

RO old skool : Posts: 1170 | Registered: Nov 2002

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

as Daethgod

Re: Metamorphosis
Reply #1 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:57am
from Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metamorphosis_(Rolling_Stones_album)

Metamorphosis is the third compilation album of Rolling Stones music released by former manager Allen Klein's ABKCO Records (who usurped control of the band's Decca/London material in 1970) after the band's departure from Decca and Klein. Released in 1975, Metamorphosis centers on outtakes and alternate versions of well-known songs recorded from 1964 to 1970.

After the release of Hot Rocks 1964-1971 in 1971, an album entitled Necrophilia was compiled for release as the follow-up, featuring many previously unheard tunes. While that project failed to materialize - with More Hot Rocks (Big Hits & Fazed Cookies) being released in its place - most of the unreleased songs were held over for a future project. In 1974, in order to give it an air of authority, Bill Wyman involved himself in compiling an album he entitled Black Box. However, Allen Klein wanted more Mick Jagger/Keith Richard songs in the project for monetary reasons, and Wyman's version remained unreleased. Metamorphosis was issued in its place.

Most tracks that appear on side one of the vinyl album (thus all tracks up until "Try a Little Harder") are mainly demo songs, written by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards for other artists to perform. They were mostly recorded by session musicians like Big Jim Sullivan on guitar, Clem Cattini on drums, and Jimmy Page on guitar. On most of these tracks the only Rolling Stones member that appears is Mick Jagger. While "Out Of Time" and "Heart Of Stone" were already well-known, they appear here in drastically different renditions, alongside several other obscure recordings created up until the Sticky Fingers sessions of 1970.

Released in June 1975, Metamorphosis came out the same day as the band's authorized hits collection Made in the Shade and was also seen to be cashing in on The Rolling Stones' summer Tour of the Americas. While the critical reaction was lukewarm (many felt some of the songs were best left unreleased), Metamorphosis still managed to reach #8 in the US, though it only made #45 in the UK. Two singles, "Out Of Time" and a cover of Stevie Wonder's "I Don't Know Why" briefly made the singles charts.

Upon its initial release, Metamorphosis was released with 16 songs in the UK, while the American edition had only 13 - omitting tracks 3, 7, and 8.

In August 2002, the full UK edition of Metamorphosis was issued - for the first time - in a new remastered CD and SACD digipak by ABKCO Records.

The album's cover art alludes to Franz Kafka's novel: The Metamorphosis.

All songs by Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, except where noted.

1. "Out of Time" – 3:22
         * The demo - with Mick Jagger on lead vocal - for Chris Farlowe's hit single version, recorded 27-30 April 1966
   2. "Don't Lie to Me" (Chuck Berry) – 2:00
         * Recorded on 12 May 1964
         * Incorrectly credited to Mick Jagger and Keith Richards on the album
         * Line Up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Brian Jones (guitar), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Ian Stewart (piano)
   3. "Some Things Just Stick in Your Mind" – 2:25
         * Recorded on 13 February 1964
         * The first version of this song to be released (in early 1965) was by the American duo Dick and Dee Dee, followed closely by the Vashti Bunyan recording.
   4. "Each and Everyday of the Year" – 2:48
         * Recorded in early September 1964
         * Bobby Jameson's version of this song features the same backing track as this recording. It was also covered by a group that went by the name of "Thee," both in 1965
   5. "Heart of Stone" – 3:47
         * Recorded 21 - 23 July 1964 with Jimmy Page on guitar and Clem Cattini on drums
   6. "I'd Much Rather Be With the Boys" – 2:11 (Andrew Loog Oldham/Richards)
         * Recorded in February 1965
         * Originally released by The Toggery 5 in 1965.
   7. "(Walkin' Thru The) Sleepy City" – 2:51
         * Originally released by The Mighty Avengers in 1965
   8. "We're Wastin' Time" – 2:42
         * Originally released by Jimmy Tarbuck in 1965
   9. "Try a Little Harder" – 2:17
         * Recorded on 13 February 1964
  10. "I Don't Know Why" (Stevie Wonder/Paul Riser/Don Hunter/Lula Hardaway) – 3:01
         * Recorded on 3 July 1969, the same night that Brian Jones died. The music after the stop was spliced in at a later stage. The second slide guitar solo by Mick Taylor is a copy of the first solo
         * Incorrectly credited to Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Mick Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were corrected with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version
  11. "If You Let Me" – 3:17
         * An Aftermath outtake, recorded 3 - 6 March 1966
         * Line Up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Brian Jones (guitar), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Ian Stewart (piano)
  12. "Jiving Sister Fanny" – 2:45
         * Recorded in June 1969, Mick Taylor on lead guitar
  13. "Downtown Suzie" (Bill Wyman) – 3:52
         * Recorded on 23 April 1969 under the original title "Sweet Lyle Lucie". It features Ry Cooder on open G tuned guitar, and is in fact the very first Rolling Stones track recorded in open G-tuning
  14. "Family" – 4:05
         * Recorded on 28 June 1968
         * Line Up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitars), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Nicky Hopkins (piano), Jimmy Miller (percussion)
  15. "Memo From Turner" – 2:45
         * Recorded on 17 November 1968
         * Line Up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Wyman (bass), Al Kooper (guitar)
  16. "I'm Going Down" – 2:52
         * Recorded 14 - 15 July 1970 as a Sticky Fingers outtake
         * Credited to Mick Jagger, Keith Richards and Mick Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were changed to 'Jagger/Richards' with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version Although often thought of as a "Keith Richard" riff, The guitar part was actually written by Mick Taylor. Richards does not perform on the song.
         * Line Up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Mick Taylor (guitars), Stephen Stills (guitars) Charlie Watts (drums), Bill Plummer (bass), Bobby Keys (sax), Rocky Dijon (percussion)

IP Logged

corgi37
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Aussie land
Reply #2 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:37am
I quite like this album. "I'm going down" is pure raunch and would be fitted on Sticky very well. Cant go past the bongos!

But isnt there a track called "Ana"? I thought it was track 1.

I only have the U.S. vinyl. Got it around 81-82 i guess.

I aint no peace freak

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

as Daethgod

Reply #3 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:45am
track 1 on mine is Out of Time

mine is a 2002 ABKO Records release
DSD REMASTERED

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #4 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:00am
a total mess as far as a mish mosh of songs, but some real gems on it. Most songs stand well alone, this album just suffered from too many songs with no flow between them. I'm Going Down is worth buying the DSD remaster alone. Great tune, even though it is called a SF era song, it always sounded more Exile to me... any thoughts on that?

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 4:02pm
i used to have this record back when it came out and i lent it to a friend to listen to and i never got it back.  one of the biggest mistakes of my life.
some great oldie songs on this.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

glencar
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 5:33pm
The latter songs are clearly superior. And yes, the DSD or whatever they released as Licks started is an excellent choice!

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 6:17pm
i disagree glencar the early stuff  is a great  .the faux spector sound is in fact not a bad knock off . As Deathgod says Much Rather be with the Boys shows the roots of the tough guy ballad  but also early signs of the sexual ambiguity (i.e. - gayness) that  jagger not to mention bowie and a legion of imitators ( for good or ill) would amplify and make more pronounced later on. I'd give Oldham a lot of "credit" for that. This release also shows  that his role in the stones rise should never be underestimated.

also they show that as writers m & K were  doing 1st rate stuff from the start  - Heart of Stone (1964!!) is as fully realized  a song, in terms of  writing and production, as as any of their originals up to BB and can still sit comfortabley with much after  - so too OOT, a great piece of original Brit - Pop.

We're Wasting Time and Heart of Stone also demonstrate the band weren't exactly waiting around for Gram Parsons to show up so they could discover country music

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Deathgod
Rocks Off Regular

as Daethgod

Reply #8 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:19pm
Pdog wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:00am:
a total mess as far as a mish mosh of songs, but some real gems on it. Most songs stand well alone, this album just suffered from too many songs with no flow between them. I'm Going Down is worth buying the DSD remaster alone. Great tune, even though it is called a SF era song, it always sounded more Exile to me... any thoughts on that?

def
the horns, the riffs.

can even hear the beginnings of stuff like Brown Sugar and even Too Tough.

the 'feel' is coming.

tho i was surprised to read that Keef doesnt play on it, cos that riff sounds like a Keef one to me.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #9 - Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:51pm
Deathgod wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 7:19pm:
Pdog wrote on Jul 27th, 2008 at 9:00am:

def
the horns, the riffs.

can even hear the beginnings of stuff like Brown Sugar and even Too Tough.

the 'feel' is coming.

tho i was surprised to read that Keef doesnt play on it, cos that riff sounds like a Keef one to me.

Mick can do Keef riffs, and Keef can do Jagger like ballads, like Almost Hear You Sigh.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)