Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
dont get too excited about "eight miles high" (Read 708 times)
macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

dont get too excited about "eight miles high"
Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:41am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
btwn this and "stoned," i am not sure which is worse...

the woman playing uschi is quite attractive, however...

Quote:
"Eight Miles High," based on the memoirs of Uschi Obermaier -- German-born model, commune-member, actress, political rabble-rouser, vagabond adventurer and affiliate to the rock 'n' roll jet-set -- wants to be both a tangy piece of Eurosleaze and an overview of one woman's transformations from the heady days of the 1960s onward.

That's a lot to take on, and the film stumbles on both counts, failing to fulfill the fun trash quotient while also never getting at what makes Obermaier tick.

As portrayed in the film, Obermaier (played with a tussled allure by Natalia Avelon) seems to be a participant of her times but never definitive of her time in the same influential, ongoing way as an Edie Sedgwick or Anita Pallenberg. The character just feels like a wisp in the wind, blowing from here to there without will or purpose.

During the film's closing credits, a series of photos run along the side of the screen, apparently Obermaier's own personal snapshots. That they seem to tell the same story more convincingly than the movie that precedes them says what a missed opportunity "Eight Miles High" might really be. Any film that uses the Stooges' drone-y song "We Will Fall" to underscore a drug-love scene can't be all bad, but they, as apparently does Uschi, deserve better than this.

--

Mark Olsen

"Eight Miles High." Unrated. Running time: 1 hour, 54 minutes. In German with English subtitles.

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2008 at 8:42am by macdaddy »  

IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Re: dont get too excited about "eight miles high"
Reply #1 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 9:07am
It had good potential and I liked the direction but the screenplay suffered a little... With such a character they could have made a much stronger film. And Keith comes across as such a stereotypical junkie he looks like a caricature  Interesting stuff Ronnie!

However, it's one of the movies that even though they're not good, I enjoy watching them  really? Not perfect, but way better than the BJ film.

P.S. Macdaddy, where're you from? This is the Greek poster for the film!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #2 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 10:58am
Can Jeep peel away that banner across her..Before I make my final decision regarding the artistic merits.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

open-g
Rocks Off Regular

Silence is golden, Duct
tape is silver

Berlin
Reply #3 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 11:26am
"Mick" and "Keith" visit "Uschi"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BW0HdEfCBUs

and here's some titty flashing for you, gimmekeef

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LubXlA_TVZ4 you made a grown man cry

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

IP Logged

macdaddy
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #4 - Jul 25th, 2008 at 12:25pm
i reside in california. the review is from today's latimes. the pic was the first one that came up via google...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)