Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lincoln Financial Field, Philadelphia, PA - June 11, 2024 © Jini Sachse (SweetVirginia)

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Chinese Democracy At Last?  (nsc) (Read 6,205 times)
Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Re: Chinese Democracy At Last?  (nsc)
Reply #25 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 3:03am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Pdog wrote on Apr 21st, 2008 at 5:11pm:
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 21st, 2008 at 4:46am:
Ian Billen wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 9:42pm:
Holden wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:15pm:
Does it even matter at this point? People are gonna be so underwhelmed it's not even funny.

Not to mention Axl has done nothing in the mean time but either hide-out playing Howard Hughes or fuck up. He has had his last hope at anything or any sort of redemption trounced a few years ago when Ticket Master finally pulled the plug on him for continuously canceling shows. Hell and it was supposed to come out then... and then again last year ...and nothing ever was completed.

At that point when Ticket Master cancelled the tour due to Axl, even the G&R die-hards said..... Axl....Fuck you, who cares. Ian

The ignorance out there is incredible.  Axl has had several tours now with the new GnR, probably some 200 shows altogether.  btw, Ticketmaster sells tickets, they don't 'cancel' tours---promoters do that.  Stick to what you know Billen--whatever that is.

Axl does cancel alot of shows... That's for sure!!! But Ian, you need to know what you're talking about before you go making coments like they are facts...
Even if the only G n' R show since the original break, was the one I saw At The Warfield in Sf, that show was really good. The band was tight, Axl sounded great.
Axl is batshit crazy and the music industry is totally fucked up, that is what is wrong here!!!

Yeah, I know they are really good musicians. Axl can sing, play guitar and piano well. I know all that. They are not some lousy lower end group I realize.

My bitch is first, that the originals have not remained. I was a real G&R fan a long time ago. I was before really any of my friends or before Appetite even got big in the states. Seen them live with Aerosmith in 87 in Cleveland.

I just am truly tired of Axl. He has waisted what could of been an all time great band in my opinion.

BTW, why did Axl and Slash have their split? What caused all of this?

Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Rhode Island
Reply #26 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 3:37am
Slash quit.  He's a dickhead.  The new album is now in the hands of Geffen Records.  And, shit, besides--anyone really interested has owned 'Chinese Domcracy; for some years now.  I've had a pretty complete copy since 2003.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #27 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:58am
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:57pm:
Egon wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 1:19pm:
g&r nowadays is just Axel right?

No.  Bumblefoot and Finck on guitars, the awesome Tommy Stimson on bass, Brain on drums, Dizzy Reed on keys (as always)

It would have a bigger impact / splash if they called the band something else...Blah Blah Blah...Axl Rose's new band...blah blah blah

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #28 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 2:48pm
Bullshit...he owns the rights to the band's name.  He paid for it.  The others had a chance and quit instead.  Fuck 'em.  If you saw them, you'd realize the error of your position.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #29 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 2:48pm
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 11:49am:
- and are now in negations with Axl Rose over money and rights to the songs.

Don't mean to jinx it, but it ain't over till it's over, jizzy.  I smell more delays.  "Money" and "rights" are both kind of important.  Just sayin'.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:25pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 8:32pm:
Quote:
Pdog wrote on Apr 20th, 2008 at 5:50pm:
the new live band is better than the old version. Tighter, better musicians, not all high and fucking up to the point of lameness. We'll see how the album goes over, the new stuff I heard live was good, and could be great, but I'm on the fence with what i heard that has leaked... It's okay...

i like people when they're all fucked up and lame.............much more interesting.

Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

its a band called monicas kneepads and they all dress up funkadelic and stuff...colourful wigs and scarfs and bell bottoms and big orange sunglasses and they play funk till like 4am.  they are always a good time.

War horses couldn't drag me away

Just curious, as to what band you saw live, and when was it, fucked up and lame band and you enjoyed the show?

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:50pm
No.  Bumblefoot and Finck on guitars, the awesome Tommy Stinson on bass, Brain on drums, Dizzy Reed on keys (as always)

Scratch Robin Finck - www.livedaily.com/blog/1901.html

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #32 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:18pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:50pm:
No.  Bumblefoot and Finck on guitars, the awesome Tommy Stinson on bass, Brain on drums, Dizzy Reed on keys (as always)

gotta go with the steady work. Everybody needs a paycheck!

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:02pm
Pdog wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 7:18pm:
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 6:50pm:

gotta go with the steady work. Everybody needs a paycheck!

Maybe Tommy will make a coupla bucks on the 'mats re-issues while he's waiting...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #34 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:24pm
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 2:48pm:
Bullshit...he owns the rights to the band's name.  He paid for it.  The others had a chance and quit instead.  Fuck 'em.  If you saw them, you'd realize the error of your position.

I saw them twice in 2006. Once at the Warfield in San Francisco. Good show ecsept for the fact that they kept people waiting until 11:30 to come on. Next time a few monthes later I won tickets to see them at Oakland Coliseum. He pulled the same shit waiting until almost midnight to come on. Axl's voice was terrible,they sounded like shit,lthe crowd was drunk and rowdy. We walked out after 3 songs. Bottom line,Axl has the potential to put together a good band and play good hard rock. But being the dick he is,it won't happen. SO what,Chinese Democracy is coming out. What a coincidence. Right before the Summer Olymoics in China. Where the big controversy is what?...CHINESE DEMOCRACY. Fuck you Axl. I'm more intersested in who is going to be Velvet Revolver's new lead singer.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #35 - Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:31pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:24pm:
I'm more interested in who is going to be Velvet Revolver's new lead singer.

Ah, so you're the one!

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #36 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 8:13pm
left shoe shuffle wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:31pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Apr 22nd, 2008 at 9:24pm:
I'm more interested in who is going to be Velvet Revolver's new lead singer.

Ah, so you're the one!

New Guns N' Roses Single Hits Radio Tomorrow
Axl Rose
October 21, 2008 , 5:15 PM ET
Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.
The title track from Guns N' Roses' new album, "Chinese Democracy," will be available to download by U.S. radio outlets at 5 a.m. ET tomorrow morning (Oct. 22). Although some album tracks leaked this summer, this is the first authorized new music from the group in nine years.

As previously reported, "Chinese Democracy" the album is due Nov. 23 exclusively via Best Buy. The 14-track set includes only three songs that have not either been performed live or leaked online in recent years.

Guns N' Roses was last on Billboard's Mainstream Rock chart in 1999 with "Oh My God," its contribution to the "End of Days" soundtrack. The song peaked at No. 26. Prior to that, it hadn't appeared on the tally since 1994, when its cover of "Sympathy for the Devil" from the "Interview With a Vampire" soundtrack reached No. 10.

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #37 - Oct 21st, 2008 at 10:07pm
that track kicks major fucking ASS!!

IP Logged

twenty dollar me
Ex Member

Reply #38 - Oct 27th, 2008 at 4:07pm
the dj played the new single on the radio last night for the 1st time here in new paltz.   i like the sound of the music, but the lyrics will take a while to figure out.

everybody soy ow.

it rocks...its different.

Nolte - The Rocks Off patron saint

say owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #39 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:56am
Fuck GNR.  Garbage. Put them out Monday night so the trash men can pick them up Tuesday morning.  Garbage, they are, with maggots and stink.  Fuck them.  Almost as bad as Aerosmith.   Almost.  More GNR lies.  FUck.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #40 - Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:58am
OK now

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #41 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:41am
album of the year...nay, the century

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #42 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 8:44am
robpop wrote on Oct 31st, 2008 at 4:56am:
Fuck GNR.  Garbage. Put them out Monday night so the trash men can pick them up Tuesday morning.  Garbage, they are, with maggots and stink.  Fuck them.  Almost as bad as Aerosmith.   Almost.  More GNR lies.  FUck.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #43 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:35pm
The Rolling Stone review, by David Fricke

Let's get right to it: The first Guns n' Roses album of new, original songs since the first Bush administration is a great, audacious, unhinged and uncompromising hard-rock record. In other words, it sounds a lot like the Guns n' Roses you know. At times, it's the clenched-fist five that made 1987's perfect storm, Appetite for Destruction; more often, it's the one sprawled across the maxed-out CDs of 1991's Use Your Illusion I and II, but here compressed into a convulsive single disc of supershred guitars, orchestral fanfares, hip-hop electronics, metallic tabernacle choirs and Axl Rose's still-virile, rusted-siren singing.

If Rose ever had a moment's doubt or repentance over what Chinese Democracy has cost him in time (13 years), money (14 studios are listed in the credits) and body count — including the exit of every other founding member of the band — he left no room for it in these 14 songs. "I bet you think I'm doin' this all for my health," Rose cracks through the saturation-bombing guitars in "I.R.S.," one of several glancing references on the album to what he knows a lot of people think of him: that Rose, now 46, has spent the last third of his life running off the rails, in half-light. But when he snaps, "All things are possible/I am unstoppable," in the thumper "Scraped," that's not loony hubris — just a good old rock & roll "fuck you," the kind that made him and the old band hot and famous in the first place.

Something else Rose broadcasts over and over on Chinese Democracy: Restraint is for suckers. There is plenty of familiar guitar firepower — the stabbing-dagger lick that opens the first track, "Chinese Democracy," the sand-devil fuzz in "Riad N' the Bedouins" and the looping squeals over the grand anguish of "Street of Dreams." But what Slash and Izzy Stradlin used to do with two guitars now takes a wall of 'em. On some tracks, Rose has up to five guys — Robin Finck, Buckethead, Paul Tobias, Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal and Richard Fortus — riffing and soloing in broad, saw-toothed blurs. And that's no drag. I still think the wild, superstuffed "Oh My God" — the early Chinese Democracy track wasted on the 1999 End of Days soundtrack — beats everything on Guns n' Roses' 1993 covers album, The Spaghetti Incident?

Most of these songs also go through multiple U-turns in personality, as if Rose kept trying new approaches to a hook or a bridge and then decided, "What the hell, they're all cool." "Better" starts with what sounds like hip-hop voicemail — severely pinched guitar, drum machine and a near-falsetto Rose ("No one ever told me when/I was alone/They just thought I'd know better") — before blowing up into vintage Sunset Strip wallop. "If the World" has Buckethead plucking acoustic Spanish guitar over a blaxploitation-film groove, while Rose shows that he still holds a long-breath vowel — part torture victim, part screaming jet — like no other rock singer.

And there is so much going on in "There Was a Time" — strings and Mellotron, a full-strength choir and Rose's overdubbed sour-growl harmonies, wah-wah guitar and a false ending (more choir) — that it's easy to believe Rose spent most of the past decade on that arrangement alone. But it is never a mess, more like a loud mass of bad memories and hard lessons. In the first lines, Rose goes back to a beginning much like his own — "Broken glass and cigarettes/ Writin' on the wall/It was a bargain for the summer/An' I thought I had it all" — then piles on the wreckage along with the orchestra and guitars. By the end, it's one big melt of missing and kiss-off ("If I could go back in time . . . But I don't want to know it now"). If this is the Guns n' Roses that Rose kept hearing in his head all this time, it is obvious why two guitars, bass and drums were never going to be enough.

It is plain, too, that he thinks this Guns n' Roses is a band, as much as the one that recorded "Welcome to the Jungle," "Sweet Child O' Mine," "Used to Love Her" and "Civil War." The voluminous credits that come with Chinese Democracy certainly give detailed credit where it is due. My favorite: "Initial arrangement suggestions: Youth on 'Madagascar." Rose takes the big one — "Lyrics N' Melodies by Axl Rose" — but shares full-song bylines with other players on all but one track. Bassist Tommy Stinson plays on nearly every song, and keyboardist Dizzy Reed, the only survivor from the Illusion lineup, does the Elton John-style piano honors on "Street of Dreams."

But Rose still sings a lot about the power of sheer, solitary will even when he throws himself into a bigger fight, like "Chinese Democracy." In "Madagascar," which Rose has played live for several years now, he samples both Dr. Martin Luther King's "I have a dream" speech and dialogue from Cool Hand Luke. And at the end of the album, on the bluntly titled "Prostitute," Rose veers from an almost conversational tenor, over a ticking-bomb shuffle, to five-guitar barrage, orchestral lightning and righteous howl: "Ask yourself/Why I would choose/To prostitute myself/To live with fortune and shame." To him, the long march to Chinese Democracy was not about paranoia and control. It was about saying "I won't" when everyone else insisted, "You must." You may debate whether any rock record is worth that extreme self-indulgence. Actually, the most rock & roll thing about Chinese Democracy is he doesn't care if you do.

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #44 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:41pm
Guns N’ Roses Bring A Free Dr Pepper To All Americans: Here’s How To Get Yours!
Now that the November 23 release date for Guns N’ Roses’ oft-delayed, more-than-a-decade-in-the-making album, Chinese Democracy, seems to be a reality, Dr Pepper owes every American a can of soda.
Back in March, the beverage company said that it would give every man, woman, and a child in the U.S. a free can of Dr. Pepper should Guns N’ Roses release Chinese Democracy before the close of 2008. And now, the event no one — certainly not the folks at Dr Pepper — thought would happen is rapidly approaching.
“We never thought this day would come,” Tony Jacobs, vice president of marketing for Dr Pepper, said in a statement issued Wednesday. “But now that it’s here, all we can say is: The Dr Pepper’s on us.”
So, how does Dr Pepper plan on dispensing the free sodas? Well, on November 23 — and only on November 23 — thirsty Americans can log on to the official Dr Pepper Web site and register all of their vitals, so that the company can mail them a coupon for a free 20-ounce can of the drink. Once that coupon arrives in the mail, redeem it wherever Dr Pepper is sold. The last step in the process, according to the press release: “Drink your Dr Pepper slowly to experience all 23 flavors. Dr’s orders.”
As we said, registration for the free Dr Pepper coupons is available only for 24 hours, beginning at 12:01 a.m. ET on November 23, and the coupons will have an expiration date of February 28, 2009. Obviously, there is a coupon limit — one per person.

So get out your straws and chill those glasses, kids — the Dr will be in your fridge soon, all thanks to Mr. Axl Rose.

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #45 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:47pm
lotsajizz wrote on Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:41pm:
Guns N’ Roses Bring A Free Dr Pepper To All Americans: Here’s How To Get Yours!
Now that the November 23 release date for Guns N’ Roses’ oft-delayed, more-than-a-decade-in-the-making album, Chinese Democracy, seems to be a reality, Dr Pepper owes every American a can of soda.
Back in March, the beverage company said that it would give every man, woman, and a child in the U.S. a free can of Dr. Pepper should Guns N’ Roses release Chinese Democracy before the close of 2008. And now, the event no one — certainly not the folks at Dr Pepper — thought would happen is rapidly approaching.
“We never thought this day would come,” Tony Jacobs, vice president of marketing for Dr Pepper, said in a statement issued Wednesday. “But now that it’s here, all we can say is: The Dr Pepper’s on us.”
So, how does Dr Pepper plan on dispensing the free sodas? Well, on November 23 — and only on November 23 — thirsty Americans can log on to the official Dr Pepper Web site and register all of their vitals, so that the company can mail them a coupon for a free 20-ounce can of the drink. Once that coupon arrives in the mail, redeem it wherever Dr Pepper is sold. The last step in the process, according to the press release: “Drink your Dr Pepper slowly to experience all 23 flavors. Dr’s orders.”
As we said, registration for the free Dr Pepper coupons is available only for 24 hours, beginning at 12:01 a.m. ET on November 23, and the coupons will have an expiration date of February 28, 2009. Obviously, there is a coupon limit — one per person.

So get out your straws and chill those glasses, kids — the Dr will be in your fridge soon, all thanks to Mr. Axl Rose.

I hope millions take advantage of this... I hope Dr. Pepper goes broke and needs a bailout. I'm listening to the new album all day today... the mastering is top notch!

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #46 - Nov 20th, 2008 at 5:49pm
I'm tracking mine online--it's been in Springfield, just 100 miles from me since last night!  Maybe tomorrow......their myspace site is streaming it today, over two million streams sice this morning!

IP Logged

Mr. Sex Drugs Rock n Roll
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 12:33pm
Just heard the new album, I feel I'm owed another free Dr. Pepper just for listening to it through the end

IP Logged

Nellcote
Rocks Off Regular

So, what's your point?

Funifuti
Reply #48 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 12:48pm
Is there a list of tracks which are floating out there that did not make the finished product?

"slide your body, girl, right across the floor..do the Southside Shuffle..."Southside Shuffle-Mighty J Geils Band

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #49 - Nov 21st, 2008 at 3:09pm
Nellcote wrote on Nov 21st, 2008 at 12:48pm:
Is there a list of tracks which are floating out there that did not make the finished product?

If I find anything I'll point ya.. I was thinking one of the tracks, is renamed, that I heard on one of the leaked things I got years ago. i'm not as die hard or thorough, or maybe i just don't give a fuck!!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)