Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83 (Read 4,012 times)
Martha
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

The Blues
Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83
Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:21am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83
2 minutes ago

WESTPORT, Conn. - Paul Newman, the Academy-Award winning superstar who personified cool as an activist, race car driver, popcorn impresario and the anti-hero of such films as "Hud," "Cool Hand Luke" and "The Color of Money," has died. He was 83.

Newman died Friday after a long battle with cancer at his farmhouse near Westport, publicist Jeff Sanderson said. He was surrounded by his family and close friends.

In May, Newman he had dropped plans to direct a fall production of "Of Mice and Men," citing unspecified health issues.

He got his start in theater and on television during the 1950s, and went on to become one of the world's most enduring and popular film stars, a legend held in awe by his peers. He was nominated for Oscars 10 times, winning one regular award and two honorary ones, and had major roles in more than 50 motion pictures, including "Exodus," "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," "The Verdict," "The Sting" and "Absence of Malice."

Newman worked with some of the greatest directors of the past half century, from Alfred Hitchcock and John Huston to Robert Altman, Martin Scorsese and the Coen brothers. His co-stars included Elizabeth Taylor, Lauren Bacall, Tom Cruise, Tom Hanks and, most famously, Robert Redford, his sidekick in "Butch Cassidy" and "The Sting."

He sometimes teamed with his wife and fellow Oscar winner, Joanne Woodward, with whom he had one of Hollywood's rare long-term marriages. "I have steak at home, why go out for hamburger?" Newman told Playboy magazine when asked if he was tempted to stray. They wed in 1958, around the same time they both appeared in "The Long Hot Summer," and Newman directed her in several films, including "Rachel, Rachel" and "The Glass Menagerie."

With his strong, classically handsome face and piercing blue eyes, Newman was a heartthrob just as likely to play against his looks, becoming a favorite with critics for his convincing portrayals of rebels, tough guys and losers. "I was always a character actor," he once said. "I just looked like Little Red Riding Hood."

Newman had a soft spot for underdogs in real life, giving tens of millions to charities through his food company and setting up camps for severely ill children. Passionately opposed to the Vietnam War, and in favor of civil rights, he was so famously liberal that he ended up on President Nixon's "enemies list," one of the actor's proudest achievements, he liked to say.

A screen legend by his mid-40s, he waited a long time for his first competitive Oscar, winning in 1987 for "The Color of Money," a reprise of the role of pool shark "Fast" Eddie Felson, whom Newman portrayed in the 1961 film "The Hustler."

Newman delivered a magnetic performance in "The Hustler," playing a smooth-talking, whiskey-chugging pool shark who takes on Minnesota Fats — played by Jackie Gleason — and becomes entangled with a gambler played by George C. Scott. In the sequel — directed by Scorsese — "Fast Eddie" is no longer the high-stakes hustler he once was, but rather an aging liquor salesman who takes a young pool player (Cruise) under his wing before making a comeback.

He won an honorary Oscar in 1986 "in recognition of his many and memorable compelling screen performances and for his personal integrity and dedication to his craft." In 1994, he won a third Oscar, the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award, for his charitable work.

His most recent academy nod was a supporting actor nomination for the 2002 film "Road to Perdition." One of Newman's nominations was as a producer; the other nine were in acting categories. (Jack Nicholson holds the record among actors for Oscar nominations, with 12; actress Meryl Streep has had 14.)

As he passed his 80th birthday, he remained in demand, winning an Emmy and a Golden Globe for the 2005 HBO drama "Empire Falls" and providing the voice of a crusty 1951 car in the 2006 Disney-Pixar hit, "Cars."

But in May 2007, he told ABC's "Good Morning America" he had given up acting, though he intended to remain active in charity projects. "I'm not able to work anymore as an actor at the level I would want to," he said. "You start to lose your memory, your confidence, your invention. So that's pretty much a closed book for me."

He received his first Oscar nomination for playing a bitter, alcoholic former star athlete in the 1958 film "Cat on a Hot Tin Roof." Elizabeth Taylor played his unhappy wife and Burl Ives his wealthy, domineering father in Tennessee Williams' harrowing drama, which was given an upbeat ending for the screen.

In "Cool Hand Luke," he was nominated for his gritty role as a rebellious inmate in a brutal Southern prison. The movie was one of the biggest hits of 1967 and included a tagline, delivered one time by Newman and one time by prison warden Strother Martin, that helped define the generation gap, "What we've got here is (a) failure to communicate."

Newman's hair was graying, but he was as gourgeous as ever and on the verge of his greatest popular success. In 1969, Newman teamed with Redford for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid," a comic Western about two outlaws running out of time. Newman paired with Redford again in 1973 in "The Sting," a comedy about two Depression-era con men. Both were multiple Oscar winners and huge hits, irreverent, unforgettable pairings of two of the best-looking actors of their time.

Newman also turned to producing and directing. In 1968, he directed "Rachel, Rachel," a film about a lonely spinster's rebirth. The movie received four Oscar nominations, including Newman, for producer of a best motion picture, and Woodward, for best actress. The film earned Newman the best director award from the New York Film Critics.

In the 1970s, Newman, admittedly bored with acting, became fascinated with auto racing, a sport he studied when he starred in the 1972 film, "Winning." After turning professional in 1977, Newman and his driving team made strong showings in several major races, including fifth place in Daytona in 1977 and second place in the Le Mans in 1979.

"Racing is the best way I know to get away from all the rubbish of Hollywood," he told People magazine in 1979.

Despite his love of race cars, Newman continued to make movies and continued to pile up Oscar nominations, his looks remarkably intact, his acting becoming more subtle, nothing like the mannered method performances of his early years, when he was sometimes dismissed as a Brando imitator. "It takes a long time for an actor to develop the assurance that the trim, silver-haired Paul Newman has acquired," Pauline Kael wrote of him in the early 1980s.

In 1982, he got his Oscar fifth nomination for his portrayal of an honest businessman persecuted by an irresponsible reporter in "Absence of Malice." The following year, he got his sixth for playing a down-and-out alcoholic attorney in "The Verdict."

In 1995, he was nominated for his slyest, most understated work yet, the town curmudgeon and deadbeat in "Nobody's Fool." New York Times critic Caryn James found his acting "without cheap sentiment and self-pity," and observed, "It says everything about Mr. Newman's performance, the single best of this year and among the finest he has ever given, that you never stop to wonder how a guy as good-looking as Paul Newman ended up this way."

Newman, who shunned Hollywood life, was reluctant to give interviews and usually refused to sign autographs because he found the majesty of the act offensive, according to one friend.

He also claimed that he never read reviews of his movies.

"If they're good you get a fat head and if they're bad you're depressed for three weeks," he said.

Off the screen, Newman had a taste for beer and was known for his practical jokes. He once had a Porsche installed in Redford's hallway — crushed and covered with ribbons.

"I think that my sense of humor is the only thing that keeps me sane," he told Newsweek magazine in a 1994 interview.

In 1982, Newman and his Westport neighbor, writer A.E. Hotchner, started a company to market Newman's original oil-and-vinegar dressing. Newman's Own, which began as a joke, grew into a multimillion-dollar business selling popcorn, salad dressing, spaghetti sauce and other foods. All of the company's profits are donated to charities. By 2007, the company had donated more than $175 million, according to its Web site.

In 1988, Newman founded a camp in northeastern Connecticut for children with cancer and other life-threatening diseases. He went on to establish similar camps in several other states and in Europe.

He and Woodward bought an 18th century farmhouse in Westport, where they raised their three daughters, Elinor "Nell," Melissa and Clea.

Newman had two daughters, Susan and Stephanie, and a son, Scott, from a previous marriage to Jacqueline Witte.

Scott died in 1978 of an accidental overdose of alcohol and Valium. After his only son's death, Newman established the Scott Newman Foundation to finance the production of anti-drug films for children.

Newman was born in Cleveland, Ohio, the second of two boys of Arthur S. Newman, a partner in a sporting goods store, and Theresa Fetzer Newman.

He was raised in the affluent suburb of Shaker Heights, where he was encouraged him to pursue his interest in the arts by his mother and his uncle Joseph Newman, a well-known Ohio poet and journalist.

Following World War II service in the Navy, he enrolled at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, where he got a degree in English and was active in student productions.

He later studied at Yale University's School of Drama, then headed to New York to work in theater and television, his classmates at the famed Actor's Studio including Brando, James Dean and Karl Malden. His breakthrough was enabled by tragedy: Dean, scheduled to star as the disfigured boxer in a television adaptation of Ernest Hemingway's "The Battler," died in a car crash in 1955. His role was taken by Newman, then a little-known performer.

Newman started in movies the year before, in "The Silver Chalice," a costume film he so despised that he took out an ad in Variety to apologize. By 1958, he had won the best actor award at the Cannes Film Festival for the shiftless Ben Quick in "The Long Hot Summer."

In December 1994, about a month before his 70th birthday, he told Newsweek magazine he had changed little with age.

"I'm not mellower, I'm not less angry, I'm not less self-critical, I'm not less tenacious," he said. "Maybe the best part is that your liver can't handle those beers at noon anymore," he said.

Newman is survived by his wife, five children, two grandsons and his older brother Arthur.

___

On the Net:

http://www.newmansown.com/

IP Logged

MaineMotels
Ex Member

Re: Legendary actor Paul Newman dies at age 83
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:26am
Goddam. I read where he was sick awhile back. But as much as one trys youre never really ready for it.
My condolences to his family.

IP Logged

Gimme Shelter
Rocks Off Regular

THE ROLLING STONES #1

Bend, OR
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:29am
RIP Paul

Music, to me, is the joy, right? I love my kids most of the time, and I love my wife most of the time. Music I love all the time. It's the only constant thing in my life. It's the one thing you can count on. :Keith Richards 1993

&&... &&...
https://www.facebook.com/MARKMMCCOLLUM  
IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #3 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:43am
I've been thinking about him all week, for some reason. And just yesterday I said to someone "He's going to die".  Sad One of my favorites of all time. He will be so greatly missed. My heart really goes out to Joanne and the rest of the family. Paul and Joanne were together for SO many years.... Sad

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #4 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:43am
One of my favorite actors as well. Really enjoyed watching him on screen. R.I.P. Paul.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #5 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:47am
RIP

Boy we are getting old!

One of my very favorite actors. What a wealth of great films he has left behind!

IP Logged

riffkeither
Rocks Off Regular

Gimme Some Neck !!

France Marseille
Reply #6 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 10:58am
Great man !

RIP Mister NEWMAN

I've dealt with my ghosts and I've faced all my demons...
I'm movin' on

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #7 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:01am
very sad.

great actor- great family man- great humanitarian.

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #8 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:40am
One of my favorites.
A great actor, a great humanitarian and one class act!
RIP Mr Newman.  Cry  Cry

LJ.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:06pm by LadyJane »  

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #9 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:52am
From www.newmansown.com

We celebrate the inspirational life of our founder Paul L. Newman and honor his legacy with our dedication to the continued success of Newman's Own.

For 25 years, we at Newman's Own have had a front row seat to watch Paul's entrepreneurial brilliance, humor, and compassion at work helping those in need. Our company motto, "Shameless Exploitation in Pursuit of the Common Good," was Paul's vision for Newman's Own and it is a philosophy we are proud to continue.

Paul occasionally referred to Newman's Own as the "joke that got out of control" and would express astonishment at its success. Despite this humorous approach, Paul was committed to the company's business and to providing top-notch quality – he brought all-natural food products to a wide audience long before it was fashionable. And he was one of the greatest recyclers, giving back to charity all the money he earned from the sale of Newman's Own products.

Newman's Own has grown into a powerful and lasting expression of Paul Newman's generosity. The Company has generated over $250 million in proceeds that have been donated by Paul Newman and the Newman's Own Foundation to thousands of charities worldwide. Particularly close to his heart were the Hole in the Wall Camps, now the leading global family of camps for children with life-threatening illnesses, which Paul started over 20 years ago.

Today, Newman’s Own is a thriving company with hundreds of millions of dollars in annual revenue. As always, all profits are donated to charity through Newman's Own Foundation. We will miss Paul, but we will honor his vision for the Common Good through dedicated stewardship of his company that will perpetuate his philanthropic legacy. Paul wouldn’t have it any other way.

IP Logged

Angie
Rocks Off Regular

I'm only in it for the
money

Lowlands, baby!!
Reply #10 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 11:58am
Paul meeting 'Kieth' Richards

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-96480

Just that demon life.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:08pm
Sad news. A true great and a fine human being. RIP Hud.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

JoneseygirlUK
Rocks Off Regular

Flossie Jones rules Dahlings!!

Coventry U.K
Reply #12 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:30pm
R.I.P to one helluva actor and a lovely man.

IP Logged

Holden
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Tampa Bay
Reply #13 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 12:40pm
R.I.P.

Not many people can eat fifty eggs.

mrhipfl  
IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

http://yayasout.blog
spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #14 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:10pm
This is a blast and sad notice for me, my wife infact is absolutely fan of Paul Leonard Newman, and during our living she's let me know all the movies and specially his way of life: a great gentleman in this shitty world.
Pratically: My  love  for the Stones is much exactly as her love for Paul...
So for me today is really SAD DAY.

I love you too,Paul,
last of the great classic idol true movie screen era.

I don't know if Keith had love that kind of "rebel" movies at that time, like "Somebody like me up" or "The Sting" or thousand others, but I know he was a fan of Marlon Brando...

http://www.ilgiornale.it/att_jpg.phpID=403079&X=800&Y=800

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #15 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 1:43pm
Not only an actor. RIP Paul.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #16 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 2:08pm
aaaaaaahhhhhhhh, thank ya Angie girl, you make us happy

My dream comes true!
they met! in 2002!
gold

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #17 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 2:54pm
RIP !!!!

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Fabio Hot Stuff
Rocks Off Regular

spot.it/

Roma Italy
Reply #18 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:13pm
ON THE PUBLIC
The best letter I've gotten in my whole life was from a lady who wrote: 'I wish you could do something about the neck of your salad dressing bottle. It pours too freely.'
She wrote: 'I am going with this guy and he is married. And we don't get a chance to see each other very often, except maybe every couple of weeks in a hotel. And when I'm pouring the salad dressing, it pours out so fast that it gets all over his chest. Couldn't you have a squeeze bottle or something?'
I read this thing and thought, 'My God, America has come to this?' 

ON GAMBLING
If you're playing a poker game and you look around the table and can't tell who the sucker is, it's you! 

ON DEATH
I'd like to be remembered as a guy who tried — tried to be part of his times, tried to help people communicate with one another, tried to find some decency in his own life, tried to extend himself as a human being. Someone who isn't complacent, who doesn't cop out. 
I picture my epitaph: 'Here lies Paul Newman, who died a failure because his eyes turned brown.' 

WinkI think that he did the same sense of humor of Keef... Wink

IP Logged

fireontheplatter
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 3:39pm
rip paul newman.

Are you fucking serious?

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #20 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 4:03pm
RIP as we lose another legend.Look up cool in the dictionary and his picture is there.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #21 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 5:58pm
Another legend lost. RIP Mr. Cool Hand Newman.
  Sad

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

left shoe shuffle
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #22 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 6:48pm

A great actor and a better man.

RIP.

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #23 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:02pm
One of my favorites.  

Slapshot is one of the best sports movies ever.

Reg Dunlop will be missed.
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:03pm by robpop »  

...&&&&...

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #24 - Sep 27th, 2008 at 9:21pm
yes its sad but he lived a great life

one of my favourite moments of his work:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=xYqwYrbwHeM

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)