Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Lick to watch "Dead Flowers!
Camping World Stadium ORLANDO, FL June 3, 2024 © ronnie-woody

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
RIP Bo Did => LISTEN LIVE A TRIBUTE B/NASTY HABITS (Read 18,990 times)
Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Re: RIP Bo Did => LISTEN LIVE A TRIBUTE B/NASTY HA
Reply #100 - Jun 5th, 2008 at 11:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
tookthatname wrote on Jun 5th, 2008 at 9:45pm:
took me a few days to get it together enough to post.

I used to run a college radio station and met quite a few rock and roll people. The one that I really learned to respect as a person, was BO.

He was playing a bar in Cleveland, and I knew the band he was playing with, actually more a couple old members of the band and the sister of the 2 brothers in the band, but knew them well enough that we always talked when we saw each other. BO was having a drink with them and I was shooting the breeze with them too.

The band went upstairs, and I was talking to BO when someone else came up and said he knew where BO got the beat. from mockingbird, BO told him no, it ain't even the same and gently but firmly argued with the guy. when the guy left he turned to me and said "one thing you learn is you always gotta tell the fans the thruth, even if it's not what they wanna hear. This guy will remember this conversation 20 years from now and I won't, but he'll start it again like we had it a minute ago. ALWAYS tell them the truth.

I told him a bit about the band, used to be The Choir that did "It's Cold Outside" and that this was the half of the band that didn't team up with Eric Carmen for The Raspberries. Told him they were a good solid bar band that he wouldn't lose, but really nothing special. But I also told him if he kept his ears open, one of them would hit a killer riff sometime that night and to play with it and he's get one or two minutes of really good stuff from them. Thats about what they had in them.

If you've ever seen BO you know he does a call and response bit with whatever guitarist he's playing with and after a minute or two makes his guitar say "FUCK YOU!" I have never seen a guitarist who could answer back to that. This one couldn't either. BO gave him a little grin and a chuckle like "gotcha".

Next thing you know the bass player (standing behind BO)starts a little rumble and hits BO with "EAT SHIT" played on the bass. BO nearly jumped outta his shoes! BO turns around and played the perfect physical comedian - chest thrown out, I'm gonna kill this Mother, oops he's 6'3" 300 pounds, better just slink away. He was all smiles for the rest of the song.

When the song was over BO looked over at the table I was at pointed at me quick and shoot a grin and a wink.

Yeah I'll miss BO as a musician, but even more as a person.

That is SOME story! lol Very cool.... Cool I remember the Choir--have a CD. Thanks for that story! Smiley

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #101 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 7:34am
Here's the links to the show - can't download, only stream . . . I'll try to put up downloadable versions sometime today . . .

hour #1:  show doesn't start until 5:30 and the music that comes immediately before it is DREADFUL - sorry - it's always a tough segue with the show before me.  I don't know how your systems work, but if I stream with Itunes I can't fast forward through the junk but if I stream w/realplayer I can skip around.  So there's that. 

http://archive.wpvm.org/filthstream.m3u

hours #2 & 3

http://archive.wpvm.org/replacestream.m3u

Thanks VooDoo, for the header and the sticky and the kudos and the link to YOUR radio show - understand it or not it's good to hear your voice!

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #102 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 8:04am
Thanks again, Mr. Filth!! 

I am sure to listen to it again and will download as soon as you make it available! Wink Cool Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Nasty Habits
Rocks Off Regular

God Rolls His Own!!

The Land of the Blue Sky
Reply #103 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 12:12pm
All right.  The downloads for the show are up.  Cheesy

Just right click/option click/download them before playing them so we don't overload my server.

http://www.whizzkid1.com/botrib1.mp3
http://www.whizzkid1.com/botrib2.mp3
http://www.whizzkid1.com/botrib3.mp3

IP Logged

axl79
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Stockholm, Sweden
Reply #104 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 12:57pm
Sad news  Sad , will hit all of us some sunny day!
Thanks Bo for all the music .

R.I.P

Stoned in Sweden

IP Logged

Ade
Rocks Off Regular

What's Occuring?

London, U.K
Reply #105 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:00pm
many thanks - i'll burn these to cdr, and will look forward to playing them over the weekend.  Let's go get drunk

...&&...&&&&...&&
IP Logged

GotToRollMe
Rocks Off Regular

'soft and freaky'

Reply #106 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 1:27pm
Thanks, Nasty! This will make great driving music!  Cool

"She delivers right on time,&&I can't resist a corny line, &&But take the shine right off your shoes"&&&&"When I die I want to be burned and blown up Gazza's ass. Is he up for that? Is he a true stones fan. I know Voodoo would do it." - TomL '07&&...        ...        ...          ...          ...&&..'til the wheels come off...

IP Logged

PartyDoll MEG
Rocks Off Regular

Just one drink from your
lovin' cup

Reply #107 - Jun 6th, 2008 at 2:01pm
Thanks so much, Nasty!!  You shall now be added into my rotation of car music... Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

tookthatname
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #108 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 10:10am
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/ap_en_mu/diddley_funeral

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Bo Diddley's funeral rocked and rolled Saturday with as much energy as his music.
PUBLICIDAD

For four hours, friends and relatives sang, danced and celebrated the life of the man who helped give birth to rock and roll with a signature beat that influenced Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones and many others.

As family members passed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's casket, a gospel band played his namesake song. Within moments, the crowd of several hundred began clapping in time and shouting, "Hey, Bo Diddley!"

Diddley, 79, died of heart failure Monday at his home in nearby Archer.

"In 1955 he used to keep the crowds rocking and rolling way before Elvis Presley," Diddley's grandson, Garry Mitchell, said before kicking his legs sideways, high up in the air, the way Diddley did onstage. Mourners cheered.

"I'm just telling it the way it is," Mitchell said.

Diddley, who was born Ellas Bates and became Ellas McDaniel when he took the last name of a cousin who raised him, was remembered for much more than his songs. Friends recounted his generosity, manifested in concerts for the homeless and work with youth groups and other charities; and the way he loved to talk to just about anybody he met.

Gainesville Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan referred to one of his most famous hits as she told the crowd, "When the question is asked, 'Who do you love?', it's you, Bo."

The funeral was followed by a tribute concert featuring his touring band and other musicians.

Eric Burdon, leader of the rock group The Animals, attended the service, and flowers were sent from musicians including Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom Petty, George Thorogood and others.

Burdon, also a member of the Rock Hall, called Diddley a big influence.

"I've been a fan of his since 16, 17 years of age. Probably one of the first records I ever owned," Burdon said, recalling that his attention was immediately grabbed when he saw an album cover with Diddley sitting on a scooter with a square guitar.

Burdon said he saw Diddley play last year at a concert in Australia, and even though he could tell his health wasn't great, Diddley put tremendous energy into the show. He was known for his stage moves, which some presume influenced Presley.

"He's always been jumping around and very aggressive; if he was onstage with the Stones, he was obviously putting Keith Richards in his place," Burdon said. In describing the "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm Diddley made famous, Burdon said, "I call it bone music, because it goes to your bone."

But stories of another side of Diddley were told repeatedly at the funeral. A man who loved God and his family, who would always stop to talk in the grocery store and was always smiling.

His brother, the Rev. Kenneth Haynes of Biloxi, Miss., said Diddley always asked how he could help and what he could give.

"There was one thing he wouldn't give me. That's his hat," Haynes said, referring to the black hat the musician was also known for.

But Haynes said his brother grew weary of life on the road.

"'But this is what God gave me to feed my family,'" Haynes recalled Diddley saying. "'I have to keep doing it until God says it's enough.'"

Diddley was born in McComb, Miss. He moved to rural Archer in the early 1980s and had a recording studio on his 76 acres. Mitchell joked that Diddley got up so early, he would tap the roosters on the shoulder to wake them up. And he always sang at breakfast.

Diddley's friend Roosevelt Hutchinson described how the musician would wrap meat in several layers of tin foil, bury it and light a fire on top to cook it. Once the fire was lit, he would grab his guitar.

"He just enjoyed playing that thing under those trees," Hutchinson said.

But he enjoyed his family even more, friends said. He had four children, 15 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren.

"Please know this, because I know Diddley," the guitarist's business manager, Faith Fusillo, told his family. "As much as you loved him, he loved you more."

IP Logged

Sioux
Rocks Off Regular

Brian Jones---Foundation
Stone--Golden Stone

Virginia, U.S.A.
Reply #109 - Jun 8th, 2008 at 3:58pm
Thanks for that report of the funeral. That was great...cool that Eric Burdon was there.

"When you change with every new day, still I'm going to miss you, Brian"

IP Logged

jeff
Rocks Off Regular

atlanta, ga
Reply #110 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:32am
tookthatname wrote on Jun 8th, 2008 at 10:10am:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080608/ap_en_mu/diddley_funeral

GAINESVILLE, Fla. - Bo Diddley's funeral rocked and rolled Saturday with as much energy as his music.
PUBLICIDAD

For four hours, friends and relatives sang, danced and celebrated the life of the man who helped give birth to rock and roll with a signature beat that influenced Buddy Holly, Elvis Presley, the Rolling Stones and many others.

As family members passed by the Rock and Roll Hall of Famer's casket, a gospel band played his namesake song. Within moments, the crowd of several hundred began clapping in time and shouting, "Hey, Bo Diddley!"

Diddley, 79, died of heart failure Monday at his home in nearby Archer.

"In 1955 he used to keep the crowds rocking and rolling way before Elvis Presley," Diddley's grandson, Garry Mitchell, said before kicking his legs sideways, high up in the air, the way Diddley did onstage. Mourners cheered.

"I'm just telling it the way it is," Mitchell said.

Diddley, who was born Ellas Bates and became Ellas McDaniel when he took the last name of a cousin who raised him, was remembered for much more than his songs. Friends recounted his generosity, manifested in concerts for the homeless and work with youth groups and other charities; and the way he loved to talk to just about anybody he met.

Gainesville Mayor Pegeen Hanrahan referred to one of his most famous hits as she told the crowd, "When the question is asked, 'Who do you love?', it's you, Bo."

The funeral was followed by a tribute concert featuring his touring band and other musicians.

Eric Burdon, leader of the rock group The Animals, attended the service, and flowers were sent from musicians including Jerry Lee Lewis, Tom Petty, George Thorogood and others.

Burdon, also a member of the Rock Hall, called Diddley a big influence.

"I've been a fan of his since 16, 17 years of age. Probably one of the first records I ever owned," Burdon said, recalling that his attention was immediately grabbed when he saw an album cover with Diddley sitting on a scooter with a square guitar.

Burdon said he saw Diddley play last year at a concert in Australia, and even though he could tell his health wasn't great, Diddley put tremendous energy into the show. He was known for his stage moves, which some presume influenced Presley.

"He's always been jumping around and very aggressive; if he was onstage with the Stones, he was obviously putting Keith Richards in his place," Burdon said. In describing the "shave and a haircut, two bits" rhythm Diddley made famous, Burdon said, "I call it bone music, because it goes to your bone."

But stories of another side of Diddley were told repeatedly at the funeral. A man who loved God and his family, who would always stop to talk in the grocery store and was always smiling.

His brother, the Rev. Kenneth Haynes of Biloxi, Miss., said Diddley always asked how he could help and what he could give.

"There was one thing he wouldn't give me. That's his hat," Haynes said, referring to the black hat the musician was also known for.

But Haynes said his brother grew weary of life on the road.

"'But this is what God gave me to feed my family,'" Haynes recalled Diddley saying. "'I have to keep doing it until God says it's enough.'"

Diddley was born in McComb, Miss. He moved to rural Archer in the early 1980s and had a recording studio on his 76 acres. Mitchell joked that Diddley got up so early, he would tap the roosters on the shoulder to wake them up. And he always sang at breakfast.

Diddley's friend Roosevelt Hutchinson described how the musician would wrap meat in several layers of tin foil, bury it and light a fire on top to cook it. Once the fire was lit, he would grab his guitar.

"He just enjoyed playing that thing under those trees," Hutchinson said.

But he enjoyed his family even more, friends said. He had four children, 15 grandchildren, 15 great-grandchildren and four great-great-grandchildren.

"Please know this, because I know Diddley," the guitarist's business manager, Faith Fusillo, told his family. "As much as you loved him, he loved you more."

IP Logged

jeff
Rocks Off Regular

atlanta, ga
Reply #111 - Jun 9th, 2008 at 11:34am
"... he always sang at breakfast."
what a way to start the day!
we love you Bo

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)