Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Soldier Field, Chicago 21 June 2019 - Setlist, Photos, Reports, etc (Read 10,623 times)
FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Re: Soldier Field, Chicago 21 June 2019 - Setlist, Photos, Reports, etc
Reply #50 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:18am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #51 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:49am
Nice to see some old faces back. Dont be strangers.

Great to see the Stones back and Mick looking as well as ever.

Some people reporting that Keith hardly moved all night, although he played great. Maybe hes feeling a little under the weather? 

The acoustic b-stage mini-set is a nice departure. Interesting that they had an 'alternate' setlist (which omitted that part of  the show) in case the weather was bad. Presumably they'll have similar plans for the rest of the tour.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #52 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:54am
Just I'm ready to smack a bitch!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #53 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:11am
parmeda wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:13am:
Good morning, y'all!
I just crawled in from the show.

One word:  Amazing

I sent LJ some pix - they aren't anywhere as good as Mr Mazur's - I'd post them now, but I'm too damn tired.  Need to rest up for round 2 on Tuesday...  Cool

Hope everyone's doing well and can get to one of these shows this time around.  I witnessed a fricken miracle -  Jagger still 'has it'.  Noticeably, a little slower, and used the guitar more often than before, but God Bless that man!

Totally forgot you were from Chicago area...so glad the dates didst mess with your plans...glad you enjoyed it!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #54 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:14am
Gazza wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:49am:
Interesting that they had an 'alternate' setlist (which omitted that part of  the show) in case the weather was bad. Presumably they'll have similar plans for the rest of the tour.

The B-Stage Plan-B...a needed tool for Monsoon Season...can  you imagine if these shows dropped to 15 or 16 songs for rain? Glad someone is thinking this rescheduling thing thru.

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #55 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:31am
parmeda wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:13am:
Good morning, y'all!
I just crawled in from the show.

One word:  Amazing

I sent LJ some pix - they aren't anywhere as good as Mr Mazur's - I'd post them now, but I'm too damn tired.  Need to rest up for round 2 on Tuesday...  Cool

Hope everyone's doing well and can get to one of these shows this time around.  I witnessed a fricken miracle -  Jagger still 'has it'.  Noticeably, a little slower, and used the guitar more often than before, but God Bless that man!

Thank you for the phone call Pam! There is nothing like hearing those 6 magic words "Ladies and Gentleman, The Rolling Stones". And SFM sounds great in spot 1 and was the perfect choice for last night's opening song.

When I saw the setlist, I was less than thrilled but the videos, reports and pics are definitely giving me the (((( TINGLE )))). This band is amazing and we remain the luckiest fans in rock n roll.

Nice to be back here too but where else would we all go. There's no place like home and Rocks Off will always be my favorite asylum.

IP Logged

Keefj200
Rocks Off Regular

Ain't I tough enough?

Pensacola, Florida
Reply #56 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:34am
Gazza - we'll miss you and the gang in Jacksonville and New Orleans!

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #57 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:40am
In this day and age of Internet access, I am so happy that people periscoped, youtubed and facebooked the live show, and I watched almost the entire night although the sound was not as good it still was great! So happy for MICK and the boys!

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #58 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 10:01am
https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment-and-culture/2019/6/22/18713098/rollin
g-stones-review-soldier-field-mick-jagger-in-top-form-greatest-hits?GFy0622

Mick Jagger in top form as Rolling Stones kick off tour at Soldier Field

Jagger was a whirling dervish on the expansive, no-gimmicks stage, getting in more miles than a marathoner as he took full advantage of an 80-foot-or-so runway leading to a smaller auxiliary stage.

By Jeff Johnson | For the Sun-Times  Jun 22, 2019, 6:48am CDT

Mick Jagger, Charlie Watts and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones perform as they resume their No Filter Tour North American Tour at Soldier Field on June 21, 2019 in Chicago. KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI/AFP/Getty Images

The signs looked ominous in April when the Rolling Stones postponed their North American tour. Front man Mick Jagger needed a new heart valve, and presumably he’s the healthier Glimmer Twin, with guitarist Keith Richards as famous for his excesses as his bone-crunching power chords.

And in an ironic bit of trivia, the sole sponsor of the band’s No Filter tour is the nonprofit Alliance for Lifetime Income, a retirement planning agency. The four principal band members have roamed the Earth for a combined 300 years, but their IRAs are presumably in good order and looking stronger with multimillion-dollar gates lined up for the current road trek.

When the 15-city, 17-date jaunt kicked off Friday night in Soldier Field, Jagger proclaimed, “We loved Chicago so much we decided to start the tour here instead of Miami.” Presumably Jagger’s comment will be forgotten by the time the curtain closes on Aug. 31 in Miami.

The band never missed a beat during their two-hour (exactly) greatest-hits set, which featured few surprises, no covers, no tunes from their most recent album, 2016’s “Blue & Lonesome” — no blues at all for sweet home Chicago.

But this was no mere walk down memory lane. Even the most iconic numbers sounded rejuvenated, with adventuresome new arrangements that drew on the talents not only of the four mainstays — Jagger, Richards, drummer Charlie Watts and guitarist Ron Wood — but also on the seven associate members. Although the band hadn’t worked together once in 2019, any ragged edges were barely noticeable.

Jagger was a whirling dervish on the expansive, no-gimmicks stage, getting in more miles than a marathoner as he took full advantage of an 80-foot-or-so runway leading to a smaller auxiliary stage. If the Guinness people were in the house, they’ll be erasing Cher’s name from the books for costume changes and replacing it with clotheshorse Mick.

Jagger made much of the fact that the Stones have played Chicago 38 times since 1964, including eight gigs at Soldier Field. The Bears’ home field will also host local concert No. 39 on Tuesday, giving Jagger a three-day hiatus to sample the city’s Italian beef for the first time. “How should I order it?” he asked the crowd. “Hot and wet” was the consensus.

Jagger reportedly had cardiologists on standby for opening night, but the health scare obviously didn’t cause him to dial down the energy. Perhaps he has some divine inspiration, which was on display when he ventured onto the runway during “Angie,” looking to the heavens and imploring, “When will these clouds all disappear?” An hourlong sprinkle appeared ready to devolve into a downpour, but the drizzle stopped for the rest of the show immediately after Jagger’s plea.

Jagger’s longtime running mate Richards was at his best as he tore into his guitar on hard rockers such as “Tumbling Dice,” “Start Me Up” and “Brown Sugar.” His gruff, grumbling lead vocals provided a change of pace with “You Got the Silver” and “Before They Make Me Run.”

Nobody says more with a single chord than Richards, but the guitar duties are more clearly delineated these days. Richards plays mostly rhythm, while “junior partner” Wood, a mere 72, harkens back to some of his finest pre-Stones fretwork with the Faces. Wood’s screaming slide guitar on “Tumbling Dice” offered a perfect counterpoint to Sasha Allen and Bernard Fowler’s backing vocals. Allen also carried the day with her high-intensity take on the vocal that Merry Clayton once perfected for “Gimme Shelter.”

On drums, Watts has always had a jazzman’s improvisational spirit, and with time he has cultivated that sensibility even more. But when the occasion calls for it, as with “Honky Tonk Women,” Watts is still capable of banging like, well, Charlie Watts. In virtuosic bassist Darryl Jones, a Chicago native, Watts has found a rhythmic partner capable of stretching the bottom line to the limit. And keyboardist Chuck Leavell is no longer just the Allman Brothers alum who tours with the band, but a vital contributor to the Stones’ sound.

For the No Filter road show, now in its third year, the Stones have it right. Other members may chafe at Jagger’s tight leash on the set list, offering far-flung suggestions that make it to the sound check before landing on the cutting-room floor. And the sellout streak would no doubt continue even if the band occasionally skipped over perennial encore “(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction” or the arena-rock staple “Start Me Up.” But maybe the Stones have it right in thinking fans attend their concerts with expectations of hearing certain songs, and their musicianship makes up for any lack of envelope pushing.

Opening act St. Paul and the Broken Bones gave the late-arriving crowd a ride on the blue-eyed soul train, with lead singer Paul Janeway finally connecting on the set closer, an emotive cover of Otis Redding’s “I’ve Been Loving You Too Long.” The Birmingham, Ala., octet has some catchy horn arrangements but a few too many filters.

Jeff Johnson is a local freelance writer.

The view from the auxiliary stage at Soldier Field as the Rolling Stones kick off their rescheduled No Filter tour at Chicago’s Soldier Field, June 21, 2019. Kate Scott/For the Sun-Times
SET LIST
Street Fighting Man

Let’s Spend the Night Together

Tumbling Dice

Sad Sad Sad

You Got Me Rocking (audience request)

6.You Can’t Always Get What You Want

ON SECONDARY STAGE
Angie

Dead Flowers

BACK ON BIG STAGE
Sympathy for the Devil

Honky Tonk Women

You Got the Silver

Before They Make Me Run

Miss You

Paint It Black

Midnight Rambler

Start Me Up

Jumpin’ Jack Flash

Brown Sugar

ENCORES
Gimme Shelter

(I Can’t Get No) Satisfaction

... ... ...
IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Reply #59 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:49am
OPening by Chrisjanus

The acoustic set by Kim ROberts

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #60 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:50am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #61 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:06pm

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #62 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:22pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:06pm:

Nothing made me happier than this. The start sounded a bit dodgy but the second half sounded good. I just hope that this doesn't die a quick death like many other recent efforts at the less played songs. Mick was a demon the rhythm though.

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #63 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:28pm

PHOTO: KAMIL KRZACZYNSKI/AFP

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #64 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:36pm

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #65 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:38pm
The same Gazza posted but in higher definition

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #66 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:43pm
Welcome home all!

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #67 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:46pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:14am:
Gazza wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 6:49am:
Interesting that they had an 'alternate' setlist (which omitted that part of  the show) in case the weather was bad. Presumably they'll have similar plans for the rest of the tour.

The B-Stage Plan-B...a needed tool for Monsoon Season...can  you imagine if these shows dropped to 15 or 16 songs for rain? Glad someone is thinking this rescheduling thing thru.

If they can handle a cold Chicago night like they did years ago. They can handle a little rain. Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #68 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:48pm
moy wrote on Jun 22nd, 2019 at 1:38pm:
The same Gazza posted but in higher definition

With that shirt, Mick looks like he should be riding at Royal Ascot. Grin Blank Frigging Stare

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #69 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 3:20pm
Photo by Rob Grabowski/Invision/AP

IP Logged

moy
Rocks Off Regular

Mars
Reply #70 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 4:21pm

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #71 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 9:26pm
Pix by Marcelo, my partner in our message board in Spanish

With "Roni" also from our message board in Spanish

Del concierto

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #72 - Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:15pm
Mick, don't ever wear that harlequin style again unless it's form-fitting, OK?

Otherwise, an A-minus opening night.  Work harder on that new easy-listening Sympathy version.

Your pal, always,
DAVE ANDREWS
« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2019 at 11:17pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

LadyJane
Rocks Off Regular

Stones Purist

Reply #73 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:09am
Nice review by Rob Sheffied, Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/rolling-stones-chicago-com...

This quote in particular almost makes me re-think my favorite bathroom break song

"But the surprise musical and emotional highlight of the night: “Miss You,” which the band stretched out into something longer, lonelier, more soulfully naked than ever before. Mick skipped up the catwalk and lingered there alone during the breakdown soliloquy, moaning the line “I wanna sing! I wanna sing!” over and over. You wouldn’t exactly say he seemed emotionally unguarded—this is Mick Jagger, after all. But he fleshed out all the grown-up divorce anguish in the song—an ode to middle-aged loneliness in the big city, a song Mick wrote in his mid-thirties, back when he figured that was as middle-aged as anyone could get. (He had no idea.) He didn’t back down from the emotion in the song, and didn’t make a camp joke out of it, either. He made it feel like a moment of doubt and pain—as vulnerable as he’s ever sounded."

Oh what the Hell. Here's Miss You from Chicago

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #74 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 9:26am
Sometime he wanna say.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)