Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
EXCLUSIVE: Keith Richards talks Mick's health, tour, Dr. John's death (Toronto Sun) (Read 852 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
EXCLUSIVE: Keith Richards talks Mick's health, tour, Dr. John's death (Toronto Sun)
Jun 7th, 2019 at 6:40pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Time, it appears, really is on The Rolling Stones’ side.

The British rock veterans — Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ronnie Wood and Charlie Watts — might all be in their early to late ‘70s but despite Jagger’s recent heart surgery, it appears there’s still no end in sight.

“Oh that one,” said Richards, 75, of the often-asked retirement question, down the line from the Stones’ London rehearsals before they resume their No Filter tour later this month in North America.

“I’d be the last one to know darling,” continued Richards in a Canadian print exclusive with the Toronto Sun. “We’re feeling good. And we love what we do. There’s no reason to stop really. I love it. I’m really looking forward to it.”

In other words, this won’t be the last time — as far as Keith is concerned.

But, naturally, such questions about any possible Stones retirement will be asked (again) given the No Filter trek, which first played in Europe from 2017 to 2019, had to delay its North American start from April to June to accommodate Jagger’s surgery and recovery.

The tour will resume in Chicago with two shows at Soldier Field on June 21 and 25 before landing at its second stop on June 29 at Burl’s Creek in Oro-Medonte, Ont. — about 60 to 90 minutes from Toronto depending on traffic — on which is the only Canadian date.

But Richards says no one needs to worry about his longtime songwriting partner. (Check out Jagger’s Instagram post of him dancing in a studio if you don’t believe him.)

“He went through it very easily,” said Richards. “He’s in great shape — rocking. As I say, it seemed to be no problem at all really.”

And, no, it wasn’t a wake-up call for the rest of the Stones to get checkups, said Richards.

“I don’t think so,” he says slowly, laughing. “It was just, ‘Oh, Mick will be better.’ We’ll just wait around because there was no doubt that we’d soon pick it up. It just had to be done. So we did it.”

Richards, however, was saddened to hear for the first time about the passing of New Orleans music legend Dr. John at the age of 77 from a heart attack on Thursday night.

“I’m so sad — Mac Rebennack,” said Richards, using Dr. John’s real name.

“We often played together a few times, many years ago now. We always had a great time. He liked to have a great time and so do I.”

Still, the delay in the Stones coming to North America “was a bit of a jolt to start with” says Richards, but then they went back to recording the new album they’ve been working on since February.

Richards also saw his 1988 solo album, Talk is Cheap, partially recorded in Le Studio in Morin Heights,  Que., get a 30th-anniversary re-release earlier this year.

“That was great because that was mostly a Canadian piece of work,” he said. “I never expected to sort of see a 30-year-old record come out again. And they did a great job on it so I was very, very happy about it.”

Richards said that solo disc definitely made him value Jagger’s role as frontman with the Stones.

“Doing my time with the (backing band X-Pensive) Winos, yeah, it made me appreciate a lot more what Mick has to do and what a frontman has to do,” said Richards.

“So yeah, you live and learn, you know.”

In the meantime, Richards says the Stones tour rehearsals are going great with some changes from the No Filter set list in Europe for the North American leg.

“We’re rehearsing, going through it all, we’re doing maintenance,” he says with a laugh.

“It’s coming along very well. It’s cool yeah. We’re making a few changes. We’re trying to come up with some lesser known favourites, Stones things, so that’s been interesting. Some of them I haven’t heard in 20 years.”

https://torontosun.com/entertainment/music/exclusive-micks-rocking-says-keith-ri
chards-who-also-talks-tour-dr-johns-death?fbclid=IwAR0Oxsgm32AWAcjB2TR5QmSbjAbQe
Eo-MiIksKhQSnEuhk454BPqnwhvq4o

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: EXCLUSIVE: Keith Richards talks Mick's health, tour, Dr. John's death (Toronto Sun)
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2019 at 7:46pm
No clear news yet of the tone and tightness of the trousers they'll be wearing when Soldiering on.

But happy days.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: EXCLUSIVE: Keith Richards talks Mick's health, tour, Dr. John's death (Toronto Sun)
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:28pm
There's an interview out there (taken before the announcement of Mick's health problem) where Keith speculates this might be the last U.S. tour.

Wish I would have saved that.  Oh no! not you again

EDIT: I think this is the one: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/keith-richards-rolling-stones-...
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2019 at 3:40pm by Edith Grove »  

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)