Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
 
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)


Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
From our own vaults: The story behind the first two Mick Jagger solo albums, the one withdrawn and the one unreleased. (Read 595 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin
*****
Online


The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Posts: 11,357
Wonderland
Gender: male
From our own vaults: The story behind the first two Mick Jagger solo albums, the one withdrawn and the one unreleased.
Apr 29th, 2019 at 12:35pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
It’s a very long story but to make it short here we go: In 1984 Mick Jagger released the album “Sticky Buns”, as soon as it was released CBS requested producers Mick Jagger, Bill Laswell, and Nile Rodgers to avoid the distribution, CBS apologized first as they didn’t listen to the tapes Nile sent them but they insisted to avoid the distribution but it was late, some copies were already available on some record stores, so the album was immediately withdraw, no one knows for sure how many records have survived but most estimate the number to be between two and four copies, placing it among the rarest pieces of Rolling Stones memorabilia. The problem was that the album review by Huntley Pembrooke was already in Rolling Stone Magazine, CBS asked Jann Wenner to do something but Jann told CBS, “Fuck you CBS, will ya? The magazine is already all over the world, 80% of our sales are subscriptions, and for the other 20% the magazine sells faster than hot bread, so it’s late you bastards!”

Here’s the review from Rolling Stone Magazine

...

Later Mick decided to ban some of the worst tracks to be released later in Dirty Work and combined the best tracks of Sticky Buns that was only one track with new material recorded with Bruce Springsteen and released the album “He’s the boss” but wait a minute boy, something happened when Jerry Hall was informed, we don’t know the details but the album title was changed to “She’s the boss”, all the tracks with Bruce Springsteen were not used, and all the tapes were burned to avoid bootleggers doing some illegal money and damaging Mick’s reputation.

Here’s the intended cover and Rolling Stone Magazine (in two sizes to avoid “licking to enlarge”) and the Rolling Stone review of the album

...

...

...

Here are the rankings in All Music if they had been released according to Voo Dude Boy

...

Back to top
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 1:25pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged
 
mojoman
Rocks Off Regular
*****
Offline


HMERLS

Posts: 6,218
joyzee
Gender: male
Re: From our own vaults: The story behind the first two Mick Jagger solo albums, the one withdrawn and the one unreleased.
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 2:46pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
goddess in doorway is almost twenty years olde? and three stars?
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
Some Guy
Agent Provocateur
*****
Offline



Posts: 14,172
Atlanta
Gender: male
Re: From our own vaults: The story behind the first two Mick Jagger solo albums, the one withdrawn and the one unreleased.
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 3:59pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Chicks in New York are paying top dollar for this garbage.
Back to top
 
 
IP Logged
 
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular
*****
Offline


Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Posts: 1,252
Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Gender: male
Re: From our own vaults: The story behind the first two Mick Jagger solo albums, the one withdrawn and the one unreleased.
Reply #3 - Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:24pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So that's where "Winning Ugly" and "Back to Zero " were hatched...

Don Knotts may be the policeman figure in "Memo From Turner" and "Schoolboy Blues" as well.

I actually liked some of the Alfie soundtrack material better than Goddess in the Doorway.
Back to top
« Last Edit: Apr 29th, 2019 at 6:28pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!
 
IP Logged
 
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)