Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question about Osaka 2003 (Read 598 times)
FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Question about Osaka 2003
Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:19am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
So, I was reading "What Would Keith Richards Do?" and it mentions this:

March 2003 – Keith has a tantrum onstage in Osaka, Japan, and charges at Mick twice in a full rage in what looks like an attempt to push him off the stage.

Now, I had no recollection of this and I couldn't find this particular part on the only video of Osaka I found online. Any info/memories of this?

« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 9:20am by FotiniD »  
FotiniD  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Question about Osaka 2003
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 10:56am
Peter Pan simply flew over Keef, suffering only a slight burn to his crotch from Riffhard's cigarette as it was extended upward during mid-jump.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #2 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:00pm
They did two shows. March 20 &  21.  The video posted is from the Yokohama show a few days earlier.

this happened on night 2 according to Dean Goodman's review on IORR :

War? What war? For the second night, no mention of the Iraq War -- what did you expect? -- but Keith threw a tantrum, which was almost as exciting as watching the 7th Cavalry speed through the desert.
The drama took place during "Monkey Man," the seventh song of the night. Chuck counted in and the song began, but I'm guessing Keith wasn't ready, because he charged over to Chuck angrily yelling at him and everyone else and making neck-slashing gestures with his hand. Mick was transfixed by the display and missed his cue. Keith continued stalking the stage like a deranged old man. As Mick stood center-stage singing, Keith came over and barged him, not once but twice, just like the video for "One Hit (To the Body)." The crowd cheered, maybe thinking it was an act. But Keith was beside himself. A little later, it looked as if he was going to ram Mick again, but Mick stepped out of the way. Poor Mick, I don't think he had anything to do with it, but maybe he makes a good punching bag. Keith did not let up on Chuck, who just grinned nervously, and I almost felt sorry for him.

But Keith had cooled down by the end of the song, and during "Midnight Rambler," he sidled up to Mick during the first harmonica solo, and seemed at one with his old buddy. During the intros Ronnie, who was uninvolved in the "Monkey Man" soap opera, seemed to mimic Keith, marching back and forth across the stage with a faux-angry look on his face.

During his own set, I'm pretty sure Keith said, "Hello Tokyo," but I'll have to wait for confirmation from a bootleg. Apparently a little contrite after his earlier outburst, he acknowledged his colleagues by saying, "Give 'em a hand. They're a great band, y'know."

The show, which clocked in at a little over 2 hours, began at the obscenely early time of 6:20 p.m. because Friday was a religious holiday here.
« Last Edit: Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:10pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Nov 8th, 2018 at 6:09pm
I dont think Keith says 'Hello Tokyo' as its a bit off-mike, but listening to the recording of the show, 'Monkey Man' really is a trainwreck , especially in the first half.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

FotiniD
Rocks Off Regular

ROCC & RO..ll...

Athens, Greece
Reply #4 - Nov 9th, 2018 at 4:10am
Thanks a lot G, very interesting, pity there's not a video around!

FotiniD  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)