Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Beggars Banquet ABKCO reissue November 16, 2018 (prepare to be underwhelmed) (Read 1,666 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Beggars Banquet ABKCO reissue November 16, 2018 (prepare to be underwhelmed)
Oct 3rd, 2018 at 4:56pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The bonus material is actually a drawing of a bog wall and an old Japanese radio interview with Mick (hopefully not with a simultaneous translation voice over - that would be REALLY disappointing). Roll Eyes

I kid you not.

ABKCO RECORDS will release the Rolling Stones 'Beggars Banquet' (50th Anniversary Edition) on LP and CD this November 16th (LP format only will be released in NZ, CD format will be available from store.digitalstores.co.uk.) Recorded between March and July of 1968 at Olympic Sound Studios in London, mixed at Sunset Sound in Los Angeles, 'Beggars Banquet' was the first Stones album produced by Jimmy Miller, and marks the start of what is considered their most prolific album era. Beggars Banquet has a special place in the history of the band, as it is the final album completed with the original line up of Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Brian Jones, Bill Wyman and Charlie Watts.

The limited edition vinyl package will come in gatefold jacket, with a bonus 12” of their hit single “Sympathy For the Devil” in Mono cut at 45rpm, backed with an etching of the original ‘toilet’ cover. Also included is a replica of the rare Japanese bonus flexi disc containing a phone interview with Mick Jagger from 1968, and a download code for the album plus interview. The landmark album has been newly mastered by Grammy Award® winning engineer Bob Ludwig, lacquers cut at Abbey Road and pressed on 180g vinyl.

In the August 10, 1968 issue of Rolling Stone, magazine founder and editor Jann Wenner previewed the album for his readers noting, “The Rolling Stones have returned, and they are bringing back rock and roll with them. They have finished their next album — titled Beggars’ Banquet — and it is the best record they have yet done. In all aspects it is a great album; great Rolling Stones’ material and performance; a great rock and roll album, without pretense, an achievement of significance in both lyrics and music.” Wenner also put Mick on the cover of that issue, with a boastful headline, “The Stones Make the Great Comeback of Their Career.”

Long after its original release, legendary rock journalist and author Ben Fong-Torres heralded Beggars Banquet as “an album flush with masterful and growling instant classics” that “responds more to the chaos of ’68 and to themselves than to any fellow artists . . . the mood is one of dissolution and resignation, in the guise of a voice of ambivalent authority.”

As Fong-Torres refers to, “Street Fighting Man,” the most politically charged Stones song of all time, was partially inspired by Mick Jagger’s first-hand experience at an anti-war rally at the U.S. embassy in London where he saw activist Tariq Ali speak. Simultaneously, student protests in Paris were taking place, leading to a massive uprising that May in which almost a quarter of the nation participated in strikes and demonstrations.  Jagger told Rolling Stone in 1997, “It was a very strange time in France. But not only in France but also in America, because of the Vietnam War and these endless disruptions . . . I thought it was a very good thing at the time. There was all this violence going on. I mean, they almost toppled the government in France . . .”

February 1969 marked the album’s second single, “Sympathy For the Devil” written mainly by Jagger after Marianne Faithfull gave him a copy of Mikhail Bulgakov’s novel The Master and Margarita. The story follows the devil as he visits Stalin-era Soviet Union. Originally intended to be played in a folk style, Richards suggested changing the tempo and adding percussion, turning the rhythm into a samba.

With the 1969 release of Beggars Banquet in Japan, the album included a 7" flexi disc capturing a telephone interview between Mick Jagger and a representative of the Stones’ Japanese label King Records. The rare artefact’s title translated to “’Hello, This Is Mick Jagger!’ LONDON to TOKYO April 17, 1968” has been restored and reissued on flexi disc with identical sleeve art. A limited run will be included in the 50th Anniversary Limited Edition Vinyl package, worldwide, making it available for the first time outside Japan. A cunning moment in the exchange captured over the telephone, halfway around the world, while the band was busy recording the yet-unnamed album Beggars Banquet in Olympic Sound Studios, Jagger was asked “What do you think is the future direction of your music?” And with no hesitation, he responded “Sideways.”

The original intended album cover art for 'Beggars Banquet' was initially rejected both by London Records, their U.S. label as well as Decca, their UK label. The Michael Vosse photograph of a vandalized restroom wall (Jagger and Richards provided the graffiti, the restroom was inside a Porsche dealership) was deemed offensive, possibly because the top of an open toilet is captured in the shot. The replacement cover was simply the band name and album title written in the style of a wedding invitation and remained that way for several years before the intended bathroom photo art was no longer perceived as offensive, and finally gained its rightful place on the cover. 'Beggars Banquet' (50th Anniversary Edition) pays tribute to both, as the package will be housed with the Vosse image, with an overwrap of the “inoffensive” wedding invitation art.

Beggars Banquet (50th Anniversary Edition) CD/Digital Track List
1)     Sympathy for the Devil
2)     No Expectations
3)     Dear Doctor
4)     Parachute Woman
5)     Jigsaw Puzzle
6)     Street Fighting Man
7)     Prodigal Son
8)     Stray Cat Blues
9)     Factory Girl
10)  Salt of the Earth

https://www.hauraki.co.nz/music/music-news/the-rolling-stones-to-release-beggars...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Beggars Banquet ABKCO reissue November 16, 2018 (prepare to be underwhelmed)
Reply #1 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:01pm
Oh, well.......

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Beggars Banquet ABKCO reissue November 16, 2018 (prepare to be underwhelmed)
Reply #2 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:36pm
Huge opportunity missed. Beggars is one of the few Stones albums where you could genuinely add a bonus disc of material that wouldnt need sugar coating.

No doubt they're holding out for the centenary reissue which will be curated by that kid that Mick fathered last year by which time we'll all have snuffed it.

Meanwhile in the same month and in another galaxy, those other two great Sixties icons are putting out 6-CD boxed sets covering a pair of their greatest ever albums.

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 5:45pm
'One Plus One' gets a re-release this week also. With 'Rock n Roll Circus' to follow in 2019.

Looks like we cant expect any unreleased performances on the 'Rock n Roll Circus' reissue either.

'Variety' article here :

https://variety.com/2018/music/news/rolling-stones-beggars-banquet-rock-roll-cir
cus-deluxe-reissues-exclusive-1202966209/

“Sympathy for the Devil” (a.k.a. “One Plus One”): Oct. 5
Legendary director Jean-Luc Godard filmed the group over five days in the studio, during which they just happened to be recording “Sympathy for the Devil,” one of their most iconic and menacing songs. The film — which has been carefully restored in 4K and will be available as a BluRay, DVD and download in North America — intercuts that footage with seemingly unrelated crypto-revolutionary scenes from the era, but it provides a fascinating record of the song’s evolution and the group’s creative process, as it moves from a rough acoustic version to a slow rock take to the percussion-filled, samba-fied final arrangement.

“The Rock and Roll Circus”: TBD 2019
Planned as a BBC special, the December 1968 all-star performance was headlined by the Stones and featured John Lennon and Yoko Ono (with Eric Clapton), The Who, Marianne Faithfull, Jethro Tull and others. The Stones were unhappy with their six-song performance at the time and shelved the footage (although The Who’s performance was released a decade later in “The Kids Are Alright” documentary) until finally, in 1996, Abkco released the complete show — which, no matter what the Stones thought, features many tight performances and is a fascinating artifact of the era. This new reissue features:
– a DVD/ Blu-Ray of the performances in wide-screen Dolby Vision, with audio in Dolby Atmos;
– a full-color booklet;
– audio CDs or vinyl editions — including several previously unreleased tracks, most excitingly a brief but previously unreleased rehearsals of the Beatles’ “Revolution” and “Yer Blues” performed by John Lennon with Yoko Ono, Eric Clapton on guitar, Keith Richards on bass and Jimi Hendrix Experience drummer Mitch Mitchell. Sadly, there is no new material from the Stones: While they played other songs during the taping — “Route 66” and “Confessin’ the Blues,” as well as a couple of solo acoustic blues numbers from Jagger — no recordings have emerged and it seems likely they were not recorded.
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:16pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:43pm
Add a milestone marker and make a quick buck...really a shame...

I'd be interested in info for actual units moved on this...

This is my other fave Stones...GHS being the other...depending on my mood

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:59pm
ABKCO sucks (the big one) I'm sure they don't own the outtakes tapes that's the reason

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 7:03pm
and BTW the sessions are excellent, love "still a fool"

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #7 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:44pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #8 - Oct 3rd, 2018 at 8:45pm
To commemorate 50 years since its initial release, the album that brought us ‘Sympathy For The Devil’, ‘Street Fighting Man’, ‘No Expectations’, ‘Stray Cat Blues’ and more comes presented in a deluxe limited-edition box set edition, on 180 gram vinyl with remastered audio. The gatefold sleeve features the originally banned “graffiti” artwork, which is contained inside an outer case depicting the “invitation” sleeve. Also included in the package are a one-sided mono 12” of ‘Sympathy For The Devil’ with a graffiti-art etched B-side and a replica of the rare Japanese bonus flexi disc, containing a phone interview with Mick Jagger

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #9 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 2:42am
Wonderful

So I can throw away my SACD yes?

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #10 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:27pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 3rd, 2018 at 6:59pm:
ABKCO sucks (the big one) I'm sure they don't own the outtakes tapes that's the reason

Yeah, the Stones own those.

However, it hasnt stopped both parties collaborating in the past.

Both parties to blame I guess.

Unless the Stones are planning some multi-disc outtakes compilation (which I seriously doubt - certainly not in the short term), this is a real missed opportunity.

Beggars Banquet is realistically the only remaining classic (*) Stones album that could get a decent expanded release without them having to add on latter day overdubs.

Maybe they could end up doing some kind of 68-69 sessions compilation to include Let It Bleed era material as the two albums sort of run into each other.  I wont hold my breath, though.

(* Emotional Rescue isnt a 'classic' - sorry -  and an expanded reissue would probably sell about 14 copies)

... ... ...
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Oct 4th, 2018 at 6:58pm
Gazza wrote on Oct 4th, 2018 at 5:27pm:
(* Emotional Rescue isnt a 'classic' - sorry -  and an expanded reissue would probably sell about 14 copies)

Well...15...if I can spoil your Christmas gift surprise...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #12 - Oct 14th, 2018 at 1:18pm
The best thing is that finally we will (probably) have The Rock and Roll Circus in vinyl!

I have a vinyl bootleg but of real bad quality, so if released I will buy it for sure

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)