Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Hear Steven Tyler’s Rollicking ‘Brown Sugar’ Cover For All-Star ‘Muscle Shoals’ Comp (Read 993 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Hear Steven Tyler’s Rollicking ‘Brown Sugar’ Cover For All-Star ‘Muscle Shoals’ Comp
Aug 31st, 2018 at 7:59am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hear Steven Tyler’s Rollicking ‘Brown Sugar’ Cover For All-Star ‘Muscle Shoals’ Comp

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hear-steven-tylers-rollicking-brow...

‘Muscle Shoals…Small Town, Big Sound’ honors FAME Studios’ 60th anniversary with covers of Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, Etta James and more

Last April, Steven Tyler took a brief respite from his solo tour to cut a track at the historic Florence Alabama Music Enterprises (FAME) Studios in Muscle Shoals, Alabama. For a new compilation called Muscle Shoals…Small Town, Big Sound, Tyler put his own bedraggled spin on one of the studio’s most famous exports: “Brown Sugar.”

The Rolling Stones originally recorded the song at Muscle Shoals Sound Studio at the end of 1969, the height of the prolific town’s golden age, for the 1971 album Sticky Fingers. Tyler replaced Mick Jagger’s taut, jumping-jack yelps with his own dirtier, languorous tone. His onetime-soul army consisted of Extreme guitarist Nuno Bettencourt, a gospel trio and the warm blast of brass and piano by FAME studio regulars. According to a recent interview with Joe Rogan, it all went down, fittingly, in the same room Tyler’s most obvious vocal inspiration – Little Richard – once occupied. The song is available for instant download by pre-ordering the full album tomorrow.

“We knew we wanted to respect and pay homage to the original version, but we also dared ourselves to make it our own,” Tyler tells Rolling Stone. “I had no idea the vibes I would feel being in those rooms at FAME Studios in Muscle Shoals. So much more than an era was created there. These songs are the soundtrack of people’s lives. A world that could never be lived again.”

Muscle Shoals…Small Town, Big Sound honors the studio’s 60th birthday and the legacy of its late co-founder Rick Hall – “The Father of the Muscle Shoals Sound” – who died in January. Hall’s son, Rodney Hall, produced and curated the album with acclaimed producer and Dreamlined Entertainment Founder Keith Stegall.

The album also boasts Jamey Johnson, Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton and Lee Ann Womack teaming up on Bob Dylan’s “Gotta Serve Somebody,” Michael McDonald singing Etta James’ “Cry Like A Rainy Day” and Shinedown’s Brently Smith on “Mustang Sally.” Like Tyler, all of the artists on the album made the pilgrimage to FAME Studios to record their vocals in person.
The album is available digitally on September 28th. A portion of the album’s proceeds will benefit the Grammy Foundation and other charitable foundations that support Muscle Shoals’ musical history.

Muscle Shoals…Small Town, Big Sound Track List

1. Keb’ Mo’ – “The Road Of Love,”
2. Grace Potter – “I’d Rather Go Blind”
3.  Steven Tyler & Nuno Bettencourt – “Brown Sugar”
4. Jamey Johnson, Willie Nelson, Chris Stapleton & Lee Ann Womack – “Gotta Serve Somebody”
5. Eli “Paperboy” Reed – “Steal Away”
6. Kid Rock – “Snatching It Back”
7. Aloe Blacc – “I’ll Take You There”
8. Michael McDonald – “Cry Like A Rainy Day”
9. Vince Gill & Wendy Moten – “True Love”
10. Alison Krauss – “Come And Go Blues”
11. Mike Farris with The Blind Boys of Alabama – “Respect Yourself”
12. Alan Jackson – “Wild Horses”
13. Brently Stephen Smith of Shinedown – “Mustang Sally”
14. Chord Overstreet – “We’ve Got Tonight”
15. Tom Johnston & Delbert McClinton – “Giving It Up For Your Love”
16. Candi Staton with Jason Isbell & John Paul White – “I Ain’t Easy To Love”

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Hear Steven Tyler’s Rollicking ‘Brown Sugar’ Cover For All-Star ‘Muscle Shoals’ Comp
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2018 at 8:04pm
Thanks moy!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Hear Steven Tyler’s Rollicking ‘Brown Sugar’ Cover For All-Star ‘Muscle Shoals’ Comp
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2018 at 6:33pm
same ol song and dance

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Sep 2nd, 2018 at 1:30pm
Sounds bloated...adding too much to an already "busy" song...but, hey! Better than I could ever do...seriously...

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2018 at 7:47am
He took our song.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2018 at 10:03am
Thanks SpainStone from our message board in Spanish

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)