Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Stu would have been 80 today (Read 1,549 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Stu would have been 80 today
Jul 18th, 2018 at 4:28pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Great piece on Stu by Paul Trynka from a few years ago

http://trynka.net/2014/11/one-more-under-the-bus-ian-stewart/

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Stu would have been 80 today
Reply #1 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 4:29pm

Interview by Alexis Korner, 'The Rolling Stones Story', BBC Radio 1, 1973

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 7:28pm
happy birthday!!

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 7:33pm
Stu was the happiest of the Stones!

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #4 - Jul 18th, 2018 at 8:51pm
Stu had a defiant unibrow!  Anathema to Oldham.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 3:43am
You would think the Stones would have something on their various public platforms. I haven't seen anything yet. Would be nice.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 7:41am
The Wick wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 3:43am:
You would think the Stones would have something on their various public platforms. I haven't seen anything yet. Would be nice.

According to Andrew Loog Oldham the stones fired him. I asked him why he fired Stu back in June 2001 and this is what he answered me

“Gerardo, I did not fire Stu, that was not within my power to do. I just told the Stones that I did not think the English public, because that's all we were dealing with at the time, were capable of being sold an image factor that contained six people. If the band had said, "Andrew, you can't do that" then Stu would have stayed in the band. This would have made a great difference as to what their future would have been and raises the question of whether you'd have been writing me a letter today on any issue on the Stones, had Stu stayed.

"I don't know but I was right at the time. How do I feel as a man in his mid-fifties with knowledge now about decisions that cause pain to others? Obviously different, but we were teenagers or in our early twenties, well, all except Bill, and at that age youth is invincible and does not know the meaning of hurt, except in matters of the teenage heart. It remains a good decision. If you saw a member of Supertramp or Los Lobos down on the corner I doubt you'd recognise more than one or two members. Life's got a short attention span when you work from nine to five and need to be entertained. Pop music is not a memory test, it's an escape and an entertainment. Over the years the Stones have got away with "Andrew fired Stu" - life is not as simple as they'd like that statement to be."

Andrew Loog Oldham June 2001

More here http://www.rocksoff.org/ian-stuontheroad.htm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #7 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 7:43am
As an additional read, this a Lisa Robinson interview (Creem Magazine 1976) as I posted here in Rocks Off in 2004

http://www.rocksoff.org/Archives/12-24-2004/206121-1.html

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 9:58am
A huge part of their success on every level.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #9 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:39am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 7:41am:
The Wick wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 3:43am:

According to Andrew Loog Oldham the stones fired him. I asked him why he fired Stu back in June 2001 and this is what he answered me

“Gerardo, I did not fire Stu, that was not within my power to do. I just told the Stones that I did not think the English public, because that's all we were dealing with at the time, were capable of being sold an image factor that contained six people. If the band had said, "Andrew, you can't do that" then Stu would have stayed in the band. This would have made a great difference as to what their future would have been and raises the question of whether you'd have been writing me a letter today on any issue on the Stones, had Stu stayed.

"I don't know but I was right at the time. How do I feel as a man in his mid-fifties with knowledge now about decisions that cause pain to others? Obviously different, but we were teenagers or in our early twenties, well, all except Bill, and at that age youth is invincible and does not know the meaning of hurt, except in matters of the teenage heart. It remains a good decision. If you saw a member of Supertramp or Los Lobos down on the corner I doubt you'd recognise more than one or two members. Life's got a short attention span when you work from nine to five and need to be entertained. Pop music is not a memory test, it's an escape and an entertainment. Over the years the Stones have got away with "Andrew fired Stu" - life is not as simple as they'd like that statement to be."

Andrew Loog Oldham June 2001

More here http://www.rocksoff.org/ian-stuontheroad.htm

Wow, thanks Voodoo. This info is why this is the best Stones site.

I should rephrase: "Why would the Stones say anything on their various public platforms."

Andrew Oldham does seem to be throwing it onto the Stones there and he should take some responsibility. It just sounds he feels a little guilty about it. I seriously doubt that a 6th member, in light of the times and the powerhouse songwriting of Mick and Keith, would have made a lick of difference in terms of their popularity. I mean if that was the case, then the argument about the Stones compared to the Beatles would be the same and what would they propose, get rid of Bill?

There is no doubt that the Stones loved Stu, regardless of how they asked him to step aside, it would just be nice for them to publicly recognize him on occasions like this instead of the daily rubbish they often post on twitter.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #10 - Jul 19th, 2018 at 12:22pm
I like that ending to Live in Texas '78 where the camera focuses on Stu before fading to black.

I'm pretty sure that's Stu I'm talking about. Might just watch it again this weekend.
  stu watching how stupid we are LOL

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 3:38pm
The Wick wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 10:39am:
Wow, thanks Voodoo. This info is why this is the best Stones site.

I'm flattered, you rock!!!

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jul 21st, 2018 at 4:44pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jul 19th, 2018 at 7:43am:
As an additional read, this a Lisa Robinson interview (Creem Magazine 1976) as I posted here in Rocks Off in 2004

http://www.rocksoff.org/Archives/12-24-2004/206121-1.html

Lisa Robinson was the QUEEN of the NYC Rock Scene...Met her one time at Danceteria and it was amazing...Thanks for the read

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #13 - Jul 22nd, 2018 at 2:16am
STU!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)