Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moves like Jagger - Pilot Tribune article (Read 630 times)
moy
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Mars
Moves like Jagger - Pilot Tribune article
Jul 12th, 2018 at 7:54am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.stormlakepilottribune.com/story/2536856.html

Moves like Jagger

Wednesday, July 11, 2018
By Mick Polich

Mick Jagger turns 75, later this month? Wait... what?! Oh well, I shouldn't be that surprised, but when I saw the special Rolling Stone tribute issue to Sir Mick at Walmart today, I said to myself, well, well, well, bay-bee. It's been a long, strange trip for Mr. Jagger, and the boys in the Stones -- one founding member died (Brian Jones), another retired (Bill Wyman), and another one had just enough to know, that he had enough (Mick Taylor). Countless studio musicians, and side persons have helped the Stones out over the years, not to mention guest stars on various projects, like jazz sax giant Sonny Rollins, rock legend Eric Clapton, guitar genius Jeff Beck, Tina Turner (who needs no introduction), Billy Preston, and the woman who sent chills down my spine (and was literally woken up, and driven to the studio, to record her part on this iconic song), on "Gimme Shelter," Merry Clayton.

But mention one word -- Jagger -- and all sorts of imagery gets conjured up: skinny British singer, more attitude than voice, strutting around the stage like a cock rooster, outlandish costumes and behavior (on, and off -stage), some say the greatest rock band front person ever. To the kids today, Mick Jagger is the old guy, still doing what he was born to do, but really, why do we need to hear about him? With my generation, it's another story, and the story becomes the lion in winter, as one of the voices of a generation keeps heading down the road, taking this thing called rock and roll into another time, space, and place.

There's always been a bit of self-deprecating humor with Mick, to offset the sometimes business-like, some say stand-offish way, he can be. But hey, if you've been the front dude for the self-proclaimed world's greatest rock band for over 50 years, I guess you would assume a persona yourself, right? I don't know if I would like my life to be as public as his has been, but that's the trade-off for fame (which he has publicly recognized). The Stones songs speak for themselves, as hits, social commentary, and just plain wallowing in decadence. Legendary rock star stories? Oh yes, more than a few with Mick, and the boys. A very public, polarizing sometimes relationship, with band/soulmate Keith Richards? Yep, all the dirty laundry that you could air out, over the course of a generation. But Mick remains a bit of a mystery, and I believe he likes to keep it that way. At least one wife (Bianca Jagger), one long-time girlfriend (Jerry Hall), several kids, and grandkids now (Mick has a one-year-old son, Deveraux, with 31-year old girlfriend Melanie Hamrick) -- the seemingly ageless Stone is pretty prolific, from the looks of things. Yet, in spite of himself, or because of it, he has helped in keeping a band as a brand, business empire, and status symbol, for some decades now.

What interests me at this point, is referring back to a comment Keith Richards made years ago, about taking the concept of rock and roll, and making it 'grow up' -- seeing what happens, as the music ages along with it's participants. First, how can you reconcile playing music that you created back in your twenties? Obviously, it won't have the same meaning, or will it, to a degree? Yeah, there could be a small part of you, that thinks along those same lines (if there isn't, then the entire industry for 'nostalgic' bands, and music, falls flat -- folks want to hear the stuff that they heard when they were growing up, and they want to see if their heroes, and heroines, can do it). But the Stones have always been beyond something else -- sure, they will no longer play in concert the now cringe-worthy, misogynist "Under My Thumb," and hits like "Brown Sugar," now gives some pause with it's subject matter. But you could take a song like "Gimme Shelter," and the deep cut, "Doom And Gloom," from their last greatest hits compilation, and those songs fit right in with our current state of affairs. Sharp, intelligent, and smarter than what people give them credit for, those Stones boys could slice-and-dice their way through any political commentary (while making mincemeat of a lot of so-called world leaders). Music styles morph, change, come and go, but if you're lucky enough, people will still be listening to your creations, when the other generations come into the fold. Yeah, I think Mick and the Stones are lucky enough.

So, sure, I will always cherish listening to "Beggar's Banquet," and "Let It Bleed" (two favorite classics), and "Some Girls" (how can you get that many hits on one album, plus get a song to chart on BOTH the country, and rock charts, of the time?) and now I get to read a little deeper into the mind of Mick Jagger, with the tribute book.

Economics major, a business-sense that knows when to take a left turn to keep the band flush in revenue streams, Mick Jagger still remains a bit of a shadow, and that's okay with me, because I'll keep listening to the music, and figuring out the clues as I go along. Only rock and roll? Maybe, but I like it, and it works for me. Happy birthday, Sir Mick, and keep on going down that moonlight mile.
* Reach the columnist at [email protected]

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Moves like Jagger - Pilot Tribune article
Reply #1 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 11:03am
But the Stones have always been beyond something else -- sure, they will no longer play in concert the now cringe-worthy, misogynist "Under My Thumb," and hits like "Brown Sugar," now gives some pause with it's subject matter. But you could take a song like "Gimme Shelter," and the deep cut, "Doom And Gloom," from their last greatest hits compilation, and those songs fit right in with our current state of affairs.

Is this idiot on fucking drugs?!?

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Moves like Jagger - Pilot Tribune article
Reply #2 - Jul 13th, 2018 at 7:30pm
Not on drugsm probably Steely's adultered wine!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)