Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Marianne Faithful claim? (Read 881 times)
Dominic_90
I'm new!!

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Marianne Faithful claim?
Jul 2nd, 2018 at 8:01pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I came across a magazine interview of Marianne from 2011 where she seems to hint she had a hand in those 2 songs. However I dug up other interviews and excerpts from her book where she mentions only co writing sister morphine and nothing else. And claims you can't always was merely written by mick partially about her. Anyone know anything more/have thoughts? I know Marianne has made some questionable claims before.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Marianne Faithful claim?
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2018 at 6:03pm
Welcome!

What two songs do you mean?

Do you mean 'You Cant Always Get What You Want' ?

Never heard of her partly writing that one..

You Can't Always Get What You Want was basically all Mick. I remember him coming into the studio and saying, I've got this song. I said, you got any verses? And he said, I have, but how is it going to sound? Because he'd written it on guitar, it was like a folk song at the time. I had to come up with a rhythm, an idea...
- Keith Richards, Life
(2010)

You Can't Always Get What You Want was something I just played on the acoustic guitar - one of those bedroom songs. It proved to be quite difficult to record because Charlie couldn't play the groove and so Jimmy Miller had to play the drums. I'd also had this idea of having a choir, probably a gospel choir, on the track, but there wasn't one around at that point. Jack Nitzsche, or somebody, said that we could get the London Bach Choir and we said, That will be a laugh.
- Mick Jagger, 2003

Jimmy Miller sat down at the drums and remained there playing on the take. Charlie was not happy but was graceful about it. Mick and Keith played acoustic guitars, I played piano, Bill was on bass and Brian lay on his stomach in the corner reading an article on botany throughout the proceedings. I then overdubbed the organ.
- Al Kooper

Jimmy Miller played drums on a couple of tracks on Let It Bleed, including You Can't Always Get What You Want, which I subsequently copied. That's how good Jimmy was at hearing songs. He wasn't a great drummer, but he was great at playing drums on records, which is a completely different thing. You Can't Always Get What You Want is a great drum track. Jimmy actually made me stop and think again about the way I played drums in the studio and I became a much better drummer in the studio thanks to him.
- Charlie Watts, 2003

I liked the way the Beatles did that with Hey Jude. The orchestra was not just to cover everything up - it was something extra. We may do something like that on the next album.
- Mick Jagger, March 1969

It's a good song, even if I say so myself. (It's popular bec)ause it's got a very sing-along chorus. And people can identify with it: No one gets what they always want. It's got a very good melody. It's got very good orchestral touches that Jack Nitzsche helped with. So it's got all the ingredients.
- Mick Jagger, 1995

(Mick is told that before he used to sing "I can't get no satisfaction", and that now he sings "You can't always get what you want".) Now YOU also can't get what YOU want. The same goes for me. I'm saying the same thing as when I said, I can't get no satisfaction, only articulated differently. It's all a question of personal orientation. As one gets older and has read more, as one knows more, one is hit with a variety of influences, one naturally writes different texts.
- Mick Jagger, c. 1969

source : http://www.timeisonourside.com/SOYouCantAlways.html

She did co-write Sister Morphine. She was (belatedly) given a writing credit for it. Her own version was released a couple of years before the Stones' one

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Dominic_90
I'm new!!

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 1:44am
Edit: I forgot to mention the other song was Dear Doctor

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 3:12pm
Cheers, never heard that 'Dear Doctor' story before.

Rumour has it we might be getting an expanded 50th anniversary deluxe reissue of Beggars Banquet before the end of the year, so maybe we'll get more insight into it then!

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #4 - Jul 4th, 2018 at 4:32pm
Great quotes by Charlie! Ever such the gentleman even in the face of possible I don't know what

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)