Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Building the stage, Houston, TX - April 2024 © Alesia Turner with thanks to christijanus and Rogerriffin

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Twickenham Stadium, London 19 June - Setlist, Photos and pre-show into (Read 3,988 times)
Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: Twickenham Stadium, London 19 June - Setlist, Photos and pre-show into
Reply #25 - Jun 21st, 2018 at 6:42pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
If there is a higher being, may it keep the mighty mighty Rolling Stones rolling against all odds.

I love this band and they keep me going. They've given me so much joy, more so than just about anything else.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #26 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:05pm
Gazza wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 3:48pm:
The Cabbage Patch was a de facto mental institution for much of the day, actually

The whole day was one of the best ever, quite honestly. The only drawback with so many people being there is that its not possible to get quality time with absolutely everyone - but I enjoyed every minute of it. Some people I've known through Stones forums and social media for years but have never met, others I only get to see every few years or so - but it never disappoints. I had a couple of friends with me who were new to this kind of thing and they enjoyed it immensely as well.

As Ade said, bittersweet indeed, because with it being my last show of this tour, it may well be the last time I get to do all this. Here's hoping it wont be. I just wish everyone had been there.

To the gig itself and in all honesty the Stones are a better live band in their 70s than they were in their 60's. Its staggering. Having two guitarists who have both got their shit together helps immensely. I dont think that its a coincidence that the show is far less reliant on extra musicians or special effects than in previous years.  They're probably deliberately tailoring a show to a limited selection of songs that they feel they can do well  - but performance wise you could hardly fault that effort.

Its very easy to make allowances for their age and say that they put on a great gig for a band in their 70s - but theres no real need to. They're still a superb live act purely on their own merits.

Really enjoyed 'Street Fighting Man' as an opener - it surely deserves to be a warhorse. 'Sympathy' and 'Rambler' were great as usual - shit, I even liked 'Miss You' - its not the bloated waste of 10-12 minutes that it was on previous tours, even though I could do without the bass solo.  I dont think 'You Got The Silver' quite came off, but Keith really turned things up a notch with a riproaring 'Before They Make Me Run'. The guitar meshing between him and Ronnie on this one and a few others was pretty glorious. Ronnie really was on fine form - its great to see him concentrating on playing instead of mugging, which has been the case in previous years.  The whole band really seemed to be loving it and Mick really is the living definition of a 'force of nature'. James Bay joined the band for 'Beast of Burden' which was the one genuine song choice surprise of the night. He did ok - didnt really overdo it or get in the way too much and everyone on stage seemed to enjoy it. It was a nice moment for him which I'm sure he'll always treasure.

'Bitch' won the fanvote and they did a fine job of it

The last UK show this year and it should be mentioned that Mick didnt really hint at future intentions for the band, as he has done on previous 'final' shows.  Keith actually sounded and looked very emotional when saying 'Im gonna miss you guys' before his solo spot.  And it seemed that they didnt want it to end....'Satisfaction' came to an end, and as the final drumbeat sounded to finish the song - Keith started the riff again, Charlie joined in and they jammed the ending out again for another couple of minutes right up to the curfew. It seemed to take the other two by surprise - Ronnie already had taken his guitar strap off and played the rest of the song by just holding his instrument in his hand.

'No Stopping', indeed.

After reading this post I am SO REGRETFUL that I missed this show!  SHIT hope you aren't right in admitting this could be the end of the line, Gazza. I got that same feeling in Edinburgh as the band extended some song endings and they would just surprise each other. ROnnie and KEEF were laughing at MICK during Rambler and Miss You, they switched it up. MICK jumped back on board after turning and scowling at them but in a fun way. They were playing! NO ONE moves like Jagger! Seriously don't think its the end quite yet, they are still going strong!

IP Logged

Keefj200
Rocks Off Regular

Ain't I tough enough?

Pensacola, Florida
Reply #27 - Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:39pm
Gazza said it best when he stated they are better live band in their 70's than they were in their 60's.  It seems impossible, but I totally agree with him.  I saw them for the first time in 1978 on the Some Girl's tour - they still amaze me.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #28 - Jun 24th, 2018 at 10:36am
Bitch wrote on Jun 23rd, 2018 at 6:05pm:
Gazza wrote on Jun 20th, 2018 at 3:48pm:
The Cabbage Patch was a de facto mental institution for much of the day, actually

The whole day was one of the best ever, quite honestly. The only drawback with so many people being there is that its not possible to get quality time with absolutely everyone - but I enjoyed every minute of it. Some people I've known through Stones forums and social media for years but have never met, others I only get to see every few years or so - but it never disappoints. I had a couple of friends with me who were new to this kind of thing and they enjoyed it immensely as well.

As Ade said, bittersweet indeed, because with it being my last show of this tour, it may well be the last time I get to do all this. Here's hoping it wont be. I just wish everyone had been there.

To the gig itself and in all honesty the Stones are a better live band in their 70s than they were in their 60's. Its staggering. Having two guitarists who have both got their shit together helps immensely. I dont think that its a coincidence that the show is far less reliant on extra musicians or special effects than in previous years.  They're probably deliberately tailoring a show to a limited selection of songs that they feel they can do well  - but performance wise you could hardly fault that effort.

Its very easy to make allowances for their age and say that they put on a great gig for a band in their 70s - but theres no real need to. They're still a superb live act purely on their own merits.

Really enjoyed 'Street Fighting Man' as an opener - it surely deserves to be a warhorse. 'Sympathy' and 'Rambler' were great as usual - shit, I even liked 'Miss You' - its not the bloated waste of 10-12 minutes that it was on previous tours, even though I could do without the bass solo.  I dont think 'You Got The Silver' quite came off, but Keith really turned things up a notch with a riproaring 'Before They Make Me Run'. The guitar meshing between him and Ronnie on this one and a few others was pretty glorious. Ronnie really was on fine form - its great to see him concentrating on playing instead of mugging, which has been the case in previous years.  The whole band really seemed to be loving it and Mick really is the living definition of a 'force of nature'. James Bay joined the band for 'Beast of Burden' which was the one genuine song choice surprise of the night. He did ok - didnt really overdo it or get in the way too much and everyone on stage seemed to enjoy it. It was a nice moment for him which I'm sure he'll always treasure.

'Bitch' won the fanvote and they did a fine job of it

The last UK show this year and it should be mentioned that Mick didnt really hint at future intentions for the band, as he has done on previous 'final' shows.  Keith actually sounded and looked very emotional when saying 'Im gonna miss you guys' before his solo spot.  And it seemed that they didnt want it to end....'Satisfaction' came to an end, and as the final drumbeat sounded to finish the song - Keith started the riff again, Charlie joined in and they jammed the ending out again for another couple of minutes right up to the curfew. It seemed to take the other two by surprise - Ronnie already had taken his guitar strap off and played the rest of the song by just holding his instrument in his hand.

'No Stopping', indeed.

After reading this post I am SO REGRETFUL that I missed this show!  SHIT hope you aren't right in admitting this could be the end of the line, Gazza. I got that same feeling in Edinburgh as the band extended some song endings and they would just surprise each other. ROnnie and KEEF were laughing at MICK during Rambler and Miss You, they switched it up. MICK jumped back on board after turning and scowling at them but in a fun way. They were playing! NO ONE moves like Jagger! Seriously don't think its the end quite yet, they are still going strong!

No, I wasnt suggesting this European tour would be the last Stones tour.  Far from it. They're REALLY enjoying these shows and its quite wonderful to see.

No disrespect to the good people of Poland, but if the Stones are planning on wrapping things up as a touring band, I doubt they're intending to end it all in Warsaw, of all places.

But considering they havent played the UK for five years and havent actually done a proper UK tour since 2003, its a bit of a stretch to see them doing another one here considering how few shows they play each year now.

I'd expect the next round of shows - whenever that is - to be in North America.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)