Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Coventry woman will finally see Rolling Stones after being denied entry 50 years ago (Read 488 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Coventry woman will finally see Rolling Stones after being denied entry 50 years ago
May 14th, 2018 at 5:00pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Coventry woman will finally see Rolling Stones after being denied entry 50 years ago

A COVENTRY woman who was denied entry to a Rolling Stones gig in the city centre more than 50 years ago will finally see her favourite band when they return to the area next month.

Linda Langeveld, from Radford, had a ticket to see the Rolling Stones perform at the Locarno Ballroom – known nowadays as the Central Library – on Friday, April 17, 1964.

But she was turned away at the door for being underage by two months – with no under-16s allowed.

So news the Rolling Stones would be returning to the city 54 years on to play at the Ricoh Arena on Saturday, June 2 as part of their Stones – No Filter tour was music to the ears of Linda.

She was given a great deal of satisfaction when her son Darren surprised her with tickets.

Recalling that fateful spring night Linda, 69, said: “I got to the front of the queue, presented my ticket and insisted I was 16, even though I probably didn’t look it at the time.

“I was determined I wasn’t going to miss the concert so I caught a bus to my friend’s house to ask if I could borrow her birth certificate – as this was one of the only ways you could really prove your identity back then.

“But because the ticket was given to me by a boy who my friend liked, she refused to help me, so I went home and cried.

“I’m glad I kept hold of the original ticket though, as it is proof that I was there, or tried to be there.

“Back then it cost ten shillings if bought in advance and was 12 shillings and a six pence if bought on the night, and the entertainment was on from 8pm until 1am, so no wonder under-16s weren’t allowed in.”

Stones fan Linda was brought up in an era dominated by the mods and rockers culture throughout the 1960s.

Mods were known for their clean-cut image, scooters and affection for soul, rhythm and blues, while rockers were renowned for their motorbikes, black leather jackets and love for rock ‘n’ roll.

She said: “My two older brothers grew up listening to different music such as Elvis Presley and Bill Haley, and my dad rode motorbikes and sidecars, so out of the two, I was definitely a rocker that listened to ‘The Stones’.

“I’ve only ever been to one gig over the past 50 years, so I’m really looking forward to seeing the Rolling Stones perform live, especially Charlie Watts who is my favourite.

“I saw a documentary recently on the Rolling Stones where Mick Jagger says the only way he can contact Charlie is by landline telephone, even to this day, which is crazy when you think they are all millionaires.”

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Coventry woman will finally see Rolling Stones after being denied entry 50 years ago
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2018 at 5:14pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I know the Stones dont play the UK as often as they should, but Christ.....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)