Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Building the stage, Houston, TX - April 2024 © Alesia Turner with thanks to christijanus and Rogerriffin

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Botched Rolling Stones Show in Athens 4 Days Before the April 21, 1967 Coup (Read 3,004 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
The Botched Rolling Stones Show in Athens 4 Days Before the April 21, 1967 Coup
Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:29am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Looks like that first picture comes from a familiar source.  Roll Eyes

The Botched Rolling Stones Show in Athens 4 Days Before the April 21, 1967 Coup

By Philip Chrysopoulos

The Rolling Stones concert in Athens four days before the April 21st, 1967 coup became the stuff of legend, as only five songs into the set police stormed the stage and stopped the show.

It was April 17 and at Panathinaikos football stadium 10,000 young Greeks paid a steep 120 drachmas (a newspaper or a souvlaki cost one drachma those days) to watch the sensational British rock band that rivaled the Beatles.

From people who were present, the atmosphere was electrifying and electrified as this was the first time a rock band came to play in Greece. Anticipation was sky-high for the event of the year.

Yet, the show was not to be remembered for the greatness of the music but for its disruption and the riot that broke out. Allegedly, during “Satisfaction”, Mick Jagger threw a bunch of red carnations at the audience. Police saw that and took it as a political act and stormed the stage to arrest the singer.

The show stopped, the audience started booing at the police officers, who retaliated by attacking the crowd and arresting several people.

At the time, the red carnation in Greece was a symbol of leftism and communism. It was a time of turmoil, with leftists and rightists sharply divided and fighting each other. Apparently, authorities took the Jagger gesture the wrong way.

http://greece.greekreporter.com/2018/04/21/the-botched-rolling-stones-show-in-at...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The Botched Rolling Stones Show in Athens 4 Days Before the April 21, 1967 Coup
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2018 at 11:00am
Edith Grove wrote on Apr 22nd, 2018 at 8:29am:
Looks like that first picture comes from a familiar source. 

In fact all

Check the 5 page space for that one

http://rocksoff.org/greece-april-17-1967.htm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The Botched Rolling Stones Show in Athens 4 Days Before the April 21, 1967 Coup
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2022 at 12:44pm
Another article about this one

The Rolling Stones unveil unseen photographs taken backstage during Brian Jones' tumultuous final full concert with the rock band in Athens

By KATE DENNETT FOR MAILONLINE

PUBLISHED: 10:36 EDT, 25 May 2022 | UPDATED: 10:41 EDT, 25 May 2022

Article: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-10853541/The-Rolling-Stones-unveil...

some pix from the article, more there

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Sleepy City
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2022 at 1:37pm
I'm surprised to see Bill still doing backing vocals as late as the Spring of 1967 (I dunno why, I thought he'd stopped by mid-'65).

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)