Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ronnie Wood on The Rolling Stones’ new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman (Metro) (Read 853 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Ronnie Wood on The Rolling Stones’ new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman (Metro)
Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:30pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Chris Cowley
Published March 26, 2018

The Rolling Stones guitarist, 70, on the band’s new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman… but is it Mick or Rod?

You’re off on tour again. Do you guys ever stop?
Apparently no. Great, isn’t it? After the last show in Paris, we all looked at each other and said: ‘We’re just getting warmed up.’

What is it about the Rolling Stones that keeps you going?
There’s something magic that happens when all four of us come together. It’s like a momentum none of us can explain. It’s like, bang — an unstoppable force.

Do you think you’ll do another tour?
There’s nothing to stop us because I think the band is playing the best it’s ever played.

In what way?
All of the songs we play have a life of their own. Instead of the monotony of ‘er, not that song again’, which you would think might set in with us being so weathered and aged, there’s a kind of freshness. Satisfaction, for instance — that takes on a completely different shape every time we play it now, which means it’s more of a challenge to make it ring true with a different presentation.

Humour: Rod Stewart

How do you achieve that?
We have a rough arrangement but none of us know what’s coming next. So we’re all having to keep on our toes.

Do you see much of the places you play?
Most of the time we are trapped in the hotels because once the word gets around town, you are confined to barracks, as it were. In Argentina, for instance, forget about it — you can’t go out.

Is there anywhere you haven’t played?
I’d like to play to the Samburu tribesmen in Kenya. I think we’d have something in common.

What’s it like being a Rolling Stone?
It’s a continuing adventure. Fun. We get enough off-time to be able to contemplate what it’s like but not enough spare time to really wallow in any great bits. There’s so much on our plates and my twins [Gracie Jane and Alice Rose, with wife Sally, who turn two in May] are taking up all my spare time. They are fantastic.

Do they go on tour with you?
Yeah. They love people and people love them. Sally is pretty full-on with them during the daytime. They enjoy soundchecks and then they go home to bed for the gig.

You don’t seem to age… how do you keep your hair?
[Laughs] Thank you, God. Someone up there likes me and someone down there likes me as well.

How is your cancer?
I had three months of check-ups and it was all clear and they said go and enjoy life.

Would you turn down chemotherapy if you wanted to keep your hair?
I don’t want to lose my hair. If your body is riddled with cancer, it’s a losing cause. Luckily, all mine was contained within the left lung and I was fortunate enough to get shot of it, bang. There was none in the rest of my body so I didn’t require chemo.

Do you have any regrets about all the excesses of the past?
No, not even smoking for England for over 50 years — it was a wonder I wasn’t riddled with cancer in both lungs. It’s a wonder they both didn’t explode.

Do you have a message for anyone told they have cancer?
Just be strong and remain positive. I was prepared to remain positive to my dying breath. I’ve had a great life and I was all ready to go. Wow! I didn’t know I was going to be given the ticket to last this long. What a reprieve.

Do you have any vices left?
Just the mere act of getting up in the morning is the big vice for me now.

Sheer stamina: Mick Jagger

So what do you do to relax these days?
Well, my painting and drawing are my big relaxer, but apart from that I love box sets — Spiral’s great.

Who’s the better frontman, Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger?
I have played with two of the best frontmen: Rod in his warmth and his humour, and Mick with his sheer stamina, vigour and unbelievable energy. Mick comes and urges you on. He shares a vibe and gives encouragement, and I often feel him go by and wonder: ‘What was that?’ I have to hand it to him.

-Chris Cowley

The UK leg of the Rolling Stones No Filter European Tour starts at the London Stadium on May 22

https://www.metro.news/ronnie-wood-on-the-bands-new-tour-exploding-lungs-and-the...

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Ronnie Wood on The Rolling Stones’ new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman (Metro)
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2018 at 2:15pm
Gazza wrote on Mar 28th, 2018 at 12:30pm:
Do you see much of the places you play?
Most of the time we are trapped in the hotels because once the word gets around town, you are confined to barracks, as it were. In Argentina, for instance, forget about it — you can’t go out.

Dudes need to get back to New Orleans. Stay at least a week like they did in '94.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Re: Ronnie Wood on The Rolling Stones’ new tour, exploding lungs and the ultimate frontman (Metro)
Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2018 at 6:20am
Ronnie used to give the most interesting interviews until about A Bigger Bang. You can phone them in now. I almost feel like I could answer the questions for him. Keith was similar until a couple years ago when his interviews became a little more interesting again.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #3 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 5:36pm
I'm just happy to hear that Ronnie is doing well.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)