Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ronnie standout moments/solos on each record? (Read 506 times)
BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Ronnie standout moments/solos on each record?
Feb 21st, 2018 at 3:02pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Okay I have a question for ya'll:

Brian and Mick Taylor both have plenty of standout moments on the records on which they played as Stones and also solos; songs on which their parts were the defining element of the track.

IE with Brian you have his lead guitar and solo on I Wanna Be Your Man, his solo on Tell Me, his lead guitar on the Last Time, his recorder on Ruby Tuesday; the sitar on Paint it Black and Street Fightin' Man; His slide leads on many songs including Little Red Rooster and No Expectations; his use of the mellotron on songs like We Love You, 2000 Light Years, She's A Rainbow; and Jig-Saw Puzzle; Harmonica on too many songs to mention; Saxophone on Dandelion and other tracks; his lead guitar on Sittin' on a Fence; the tremolo lead guitar on Mona, Please Go Home and 19th Nervous Breakdown.

Little Mick also has many standout moments - his solo on Sway; his leads on Honky Tonk Woman; his guitar work on Moonlight Mile; slide on All Down the Line, Silver Train and other songs; his leads and solos on Time Waits for No One; his solos on Can't You Hear Me Knockin'; Lead guitar work on Shine A Light and Dance Little Sister; bass on Fingerprint File. His leads and solos on Jiving Sister Fanny, Travelin' Man and his delicate lead work on I Don't Know Why are also great moments.

All of these parts arguably define the songs they're on or at the very least easily distinguishable from Keith's parts. Even if at times they're not the integral element to the song, they're the standout part which lifts the song higher and are memorable; they are both men's immortal stamp on these songs. Many of these songs would not nearly be as memorable or as notable without Brian or Taylor's additions if we're being honest.

Now, I know Ronnie did the riffs and leads on Crazy Mama and Hey Negrita on Black & Blue, and those are awesome parts, but, and I'm not saying this to knock him, but after that record his guitar blends too much with Keith's (because their styles are so similar) to really tell who is playing what. I get that was purposeful ("the ancient art of weaving") but at the same time, it makes Ronnie look less important to the band's sound than Brian or Taylor were; there's not many songs where he leaves his stamp in a way that is easily distinguishable from Keith's.

I'm more of a fan of the Brian and Taylor eras and as such know more about them than Ronnie's era.

That said, I am earnestly asking, for those who are more intimately familiar with the records post Black & Blue to draw up a list of notable parts Ronnie plays on songs on each record after Black & Blue. I would like to learn more about what Ronnie has contributed since joining. He gets an unfair rap from many as just being part of the furniture and I've tended to think of him in that way; I would like to actually know what he has added.

If you could break down each song he does something standout and point to exactly what it is (like, say it's pedal steel on X or Y song say, "Pedal steel on X or Y, you can hear it in the left/right channel around this mark of the song).

I don't wanna walk or talk about Ronnie, I just wanna hear him play.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2018 at 3:06pm by BrianRollingJones »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)