Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Is it known if any 1967 shows exist in full (or at least more than snippets)? (Read 1,245 times)
BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Is it known if any 1967 shows exist in full (or at least more than snippets)?
Feb 20th, 2018 at 4:02pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Even if not circulating, does anyone know if any of the shows from the 1967 tour exist either in whole or in part? I know there are snippets on youtube, but anything beyond that?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Is it known if any 1967 shows exist in full (or at least more than snippets)?
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 4:09pm
A nice letter to ABKCO might answer that question, but you can't always get what you want.  Nanker

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Is it known if any 1967 shows exist in full (or at least more than snippets)?
Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:54pm
Vienna 2.4.67 (2nd show) (2 different recordings)
Milan 8.4.67
Paris 11.4.67 ('Europe 1' radio broadcast)
Zurich 14.4.67
The Hague 15.4.67

Thats it.

The amazing thing for me is that for the period up to 1967, the Stones played just over 1,000 shows (excluding TV performances). About half the shows theyve done in their entire career.

There are only about 14 of those gigs in circulation.  Aside from two Australian shows from February 1966 and a broadcast/soundboard source from Honolulu in July 1966 (which was ironically the last US show with Brian Jones), the rest are all from continental Europe.

Not a single audience recording from either the UK or North America.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:56pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2018 at 8:36pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 20th, 2018 at 6:54pm:
Vienna 2.4.67 (2nd show) (2 different recordings)
Milan 8.4.67
Paris 11.4.67 ('Europe 1' radio broadcast)
Zurich 14.4.67
The Hague 15.4.67

Thats it.

The amazing thing for me is that for the period up to 1967, the Stones played just over 1,000 shows (excluding TV performances). About half the shows theyve done in their entire career.

There are only about 14 of those gigs in circulation.  Aside from two Australian shows from February 1966 and a broadcast/soundboard source from Honolulu in July 1966 (which was ironically the last US show with Brian Jones), the rest are all from continental Europe.

Not a single audience recording from either the UK or North America.

Are those just audio? Any extant video?

I ask because I find 1967 to be a transitional year. The band had come into its own musically and were a totally original act. They had also shed the last vestiges of a pop friendly appearance and dressed not all that different than they would in 1969. Mick had become truly become secure with himself and the Mick we know now had been developed by 1967 as opposed to the guy in 1964 or 1965 who was figuring out his own stage persona. I mean he was using "ya'll" on Satisfaction as early as this tour; he had this mojo down pat compared even to 1966. The audiences, from the few recordings I've heard, seemed to have grown up and were quiet ala 1969 rather than screaming teenybopper girls. Also, Keith plays heavier than I've ever heard him play and Brian was still in good condition and able to play. The technology had rapidly improved quite a bit even from 1965. It for me is basically a transitional point in the band's live performance that is generally forgotten.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:33am
Audio only.

... ... ...
IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:22am
Gazza wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:33am:
Audio only.

Shame. You'd think ALO would've been taping their shows. He seems to have soaked them in publicity so you'd think he'd have been getting as much as he could - audio, video, pictures and so on.

I'm also surprised ALO didn't make them do movies ala The Beatles in the 65-67 timeframe.

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:15am
BrianRollingJones wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 9:22am:
I'm also surprised ALO didn't make them do movies ala The Beatles in the 65-67 timeframe.

Well, you have Charlie Is My Darling.

Never seen it myself except for snippets, but I'd bet they would have needed to tone down any movie they would've liked to do just to get by the ratings commission.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:20am
Edith Grove wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 10:15am:

Well, you have Charlie Is My Darling.

Never seen it myself except for snippets, but I'd bet they would have needed to tone down any movie they would've liked to do just to get by the ratings commission.

Imagine if the band in 1967 or 1968 had done a movie akin to Performance except starring the band, or they did a TSMR sort of movie with that record as the soundrack. Star Trek meets Rock N' Roll.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2018 at 1:15pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 24th, 2018 at 7:33am:
Audio only.

Shame. You'd think ALO would've been taping their shows. He seems to have soaked them in publicity so you'd think he'd have been getting as much as he could - audio, video, pictures and so on.

These are audience and broadcast tapes. What's in their vaults is another thing.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. There were only about a dozen dates in Europe in spring 1967. I doubt they saw it as a significant period in their touring career at the time.  No one in 1967 could have foreseen that people would care about this stuff 50 years later.  Rock n roll was still a fledgling cultural phenomenon and even the most popular bands tended to fizzle out after a couple of years.

There was talk of the Stones appearing in a film adapation of this novel in 1965 or so, but it didnt come to fruition
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Only_Lovers_Left_Alive_(novel)

Jagger also bought the rights to 'A Clockwork Orange' in the late 60s and was mooted to play the lead role of Alex in the movie adaptation (there was speculation the other band members could play his fellow Droogs)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/1924636/Mick-Jagger-sought-Clockwork-Orange-role...
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/mick-jaggers-clockwork-orange-petition-s...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)