Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Trey Anastasio Explains Strange Experience Opening For The Rolling Stones In Durham (Read 881 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Trey Anastasio Explains Strange Experience Opening For The Rolling Stones In Durham
Feb 18th, 2018 at 8:50am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
You guys know Wallace Wade Stadium at Duke? [crowd cheers]. It’s close to here, right? I warmed up for the Stones there [laughs]. That was an incredible experience, I gotta tell ya…It was 2005. You guys remember 2005? I don’t have much memory of 2005…that was a bad year. But I did warm up for the Stones!

It’s funny…warming up for the Stones is like meeting Mickey Mouse or something. Like, you go behind the curtain and you see all this stuff that you never thought you would see…It’s not what you think [crowd laughs]. You guys are probably thinking one thing and it wasn’t that, it was a whole different thing. But it was…I guess I don’t wanna give away all their secrets or anything. But you kinda go back and there’s, like, makeup chairs and stuff [laughs]…I’m not kidding!…

One of the things that really impressed me–blew my mind, actually–was that they had three full-time women…They had boxes of clothes that every designer on the planet had sent, all these free clothes, hoping that the Stones will wear them because I’m guessing that if Mick Jagger walks out onstage with your shirt on or something, it gets in a magazine or whatever. I just didn’t quite expect it. I mean, there were, like, thousands…boxes and boxes of clothes…and these women would lay out their clothes for the night based on what the costume changes are gonna be and everything.

But the funniest part for me…I was thrilled, the guitar tech took me up onstage and he said, “Do you wanna touch the Telecaster from Exile on Main Street?” And I was like, “Yes I do! I sure do!” [cheers]. So he took me back and I touched the guitar that, like, invented everything I care about [laughs]…other than, you know, my family…

He then went on to pull back the “curtain” on warming up for the Rolling Stones:

They have this room…like a cool room with a pool table…like a cool “hangout room.” And [when you’re] the warmup band, you go in there and they put you in front of the pool table [to take a photo]…and there’s a pipe and drape, so there’s just like a sheet hanging. … On the other side of the seat, [I] hear the Stones, like, gathering, and a guy says [whispering] “His name is Trey…” [laughs].

Interestingly, one of their backup singers, Lisa Fischer, had sung on my album, on “Night Speaks To A Woman” and “Money, Love & Change”. But she does so many sessions that, of course, she doesn’t remember that either. … [whispering again] “You sang on his album…” And I can hear all of this [laughing]…

So they have all this stuff on from the women with the boxes, and [the photographer] has us stand by the pool table, and they open the curtain, and the Rolling Stones, en masse–the whole band, as the Rolling Stones…in full Rolling Stones regalia, with the drink, and the cigarette and everything–come through the door, and they’re like [in a familiar tone], “Trey!”, like I’m their best friend [laughs].

And Keith Richards came over to me and he put his hands on me and was like “Trey, how’re ya doing”… [I’m] like “I’m great, Keith! You’ve been thinking about me, eh? You missed me and everything…” [laughs]. And they turn around for the guy to take the picture, and then vwoop, they’re gone [laughs]. It was perfect! That’s the thing, don’t get me wrong, it was exactly what I wanted…

Full article here: https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/trey-anastasio-stones-durham-thrones/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Trey Anastasio Explains Strange Experience Opening For The Rolling Stones In Durham
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:46am
Thats great. That wasnt the night the Stones gig was disrupted by a bombscare was it? Or was that Charlottesville?

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Trey Anastasio Explains Strange Experience Opening For The Rolling Stones In Durham
Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Gazza wrote on Feb 18th, 2018 at 9:46am:
Thats great. That wasnt the night the Stones gig was disrupted by a bombscare was it? Or was that Charlottesville?

Charlottesville, two days later.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/61190/bomb-threat-disrupts-stones-concer...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 1:04pm
The videos from the article

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2018 at 10:59pm
cool story

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)