Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Will Knebworth 1976 ever see an official release? (Read 1,013 times)
BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Will Knebworth 1976 ever see an official release?
Feb 12th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I know many deem it a crap show but I feel it captures the Stones at their most jet-lagged and druggy...Is there any chance we'll ever get a cleaned up official DVD/Blu Ray release?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Will Knebworth 1976 ever see an official release?
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2018 at 4:40pm
Doubt it. The Stones didnt film the show as far as I'm aware (and if they did, their footage isnt whats circulating).

The BBC did film it though, for a news report that night which only broadcast a couple of minutes from the gig. The circulating footage is taken from their raw news footage - although at about 50-55 minutes its barely a little more than a third of the show.

Funny story on how it circulated. About 22-23 years ago I was trading tapes and videos with a guy in England and I saw on his list that he had a pro shot of Knebworth, so a week or two later I got a pristine 1st generation copy of almost one hour of the gig in amazing quality.

As it turned out he worked for the BBC, and their filing system back in that pre-digital age was pretty hopeless and poorly monitored. So he'd pay a little visit to their vaults every so often, find the masters of a few Stones 'gems', take them home, copy them and leave them back before anyone noticed.  I got quite a few early 70s Old Grey Whistle Test interviews and footage from him around that time plus some other stuff which hadnt been circulating in decent quality, if at all.

The Paris '76 shows are a different matter though. At least three of the four shows were filmed by Freddy Hauser for the 'Les Stones aux Abattoirs' TV broadcasts and about 3 hours of footage of those gigs (including the complete performance of the third night - 6th June) have been in circulation for many years. Theres been talk they'll get a release eventually.  Its not their finest moment, but theyre much better shows than what 'Love You Live' would suggest.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:10am
Gazza where can we see or hear this pristine copy?

IP Logged

BeggarsBanquet1979
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Casper, Wyoming, USA
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2018 at 1:25am
I hope so in a full version

WWW rocknrollcola  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)