Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Fact or Bullcrap?: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones (Read 2,188 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Fact or Bullcrap?: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:25am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Video: Michael Schenker remembers the time when the Rolling Stones came calling... and he ignored them

Michael Schenker has talked on camera about the time he was asked to audition for The Rolling Stones. The guitarist, who last week was confirmed as one of the headliners of the HRH XII festival in November, was approached shortly after he arrived in London to join UFO in 1973.

In the video, Schenker reveals how he took a call on his landlady's telephone two months after joining UFO, and was asked if he'd be interested in trying out for the Stones. After speaking to older brother and Scorpions guitarist Rudolf Schenker in Germany, he decided not to return the call.

In the video, Schenker explains his reasoning, and reveals that the man who eventually got the Rolling Stones job, former Faces man Ronnie Wood, is actually a big Michael Schenker fan.

Schenker's new album, Resurrection, is released under the Michael Schenker Fest banner on March 2. Schenker is joined in the line-up by drummer Ted McKenna, bassist Chris Glen and guitarist Steve Mann. Singers Gary Barden, Graham Bonnet, Robin McAuley and Doogie White are also involved in the project.

Schenker will also headline Rock City Stockholm on April 28, after completing a North American tour in March and April. Full US dates listed below.

New single Warrior is now available from the Nuclear Blast Store. Resurrection is released on March 2, and can be pre-ordered now.

http://teamrock.com/news/2018-02-08/michael-schenker-why-i-turned-down-an-auditi...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Fact or Bullcrap?: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 7:02pm
Utter shite. He was 18 at the time.

They would have been recording IORR in Germany just after that time frame (late 73)  but they werent looking for a new guitarist as Taylor didnt leave until December '74.

Its quite possible they were looking for help with session musicians though, but someone of his age and musical background seems like an unlikely target.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Fact or Bullcrap?: Michael Schenker: why I turned down an audition with the Rolling Stones
Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2018 at 8:03pm
Grasping for his 15 minutes?...the guy has never played to the level required. Ronnie on 15 drinks could still hold this guy off.....barely

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:26am
From Wiki...as an FYI only...

The Rolling Stones needed to find a new guitarist, and the recording sessions for the next album, Black and Blue (UK 2; US 1) (1976) in Munich provided an opportunity for some hopefuls to work while trying out for the band. Guitarists as stylistically disparate as Peter Frampton and Jeff Beck were auditioned as well as Robert A. Johnson and Shuggie Otis. Both Beck and Irish blues rock guitarist Rory Gallagher later claimed that they had played without realising they were being auditioned, and both agreed that they would never have joined. American session players Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel also tried out but Richards and Jagger had a preference for the band to remain purely British. When Ronnie Wood auditioned, everyone agreed that he was the right choice.

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 11:03am
Edith Grove wrote on Feb 8th, 2018 at 5:25am:
Fact or Bullcrap?

100% Bullcrap

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:16pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:26am:

The Rolling Stones needed to find a new guitarist, and the recording sessions for the next album, Black and Blue (UK 2; US 1) (1976) in Munich provided an opportunity for some hopefuls to work while trying out for the band. Guitarists as stylistically disparate as Peter Frampton and Jeff Beck were auditioned as well as Robert A. Johnson and Shuggie Otis. Both Beck and Irish blues rock guitarist Rory Gallagher later claimed that they had played without realising they were being auditioned, and both agreed that they would never have joined. American session players Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel also tried out but Richards and Jagger had a preference for the band to remain purely British. When Ronnie Wood auditioned, everyone agreed that he was the right choice.

Those 'auditions' were in Rotterdam in Jan-Feb 1975. The Munich sessions with Perkins, Mandel and Woody were late March-early April '75.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:44pm
why he would need to say something? he is a monster guitar player a legend amongst many. dudes gettin old

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:57pm
This dude isn't even a footnote.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:13pm
mojoman wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 7:44pm:
why he would need to say something? he is a monster guitar player a legend amongst many. dudes gettin old

Maybe in the early-mid 80's...but overall...uhm...

Saw MSG at the Ritz in NYC around 83 ...with Cozy Powell on drums...it was loud and fun...but not guitar god-like or anything...but I was in the minority amongst all those 80's metal heads

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:38pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:13pm:

Saw MSG at the Ritz in NYC around 83 ...with Cozy Powell on drums...it was loud and fun...but not guitar god-like or anything...but I was in the minority amongst all those 80's metal heads

not EVH of course but in the metal genre his fame is cemented with UFO

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:46pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 12:06pm
mojoman wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:38pm:
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 13th, 2018 at 8:13pm:

not EVH of course but in the metal genre his fame is cemented with UFO

I'm with you Mojo. Schenker got way more than his 15 mins. He can still play and made some great albums with UFO. I'm a big fan. He doesn't fit the Stones style, so I don't know where that story came from. But saying he can't play is utter shite.  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Bluzdude
Rocks Off Regular

I'm here-that's all that
matters. Rocks Off Rules!

Los Angeles
Reply #11 - Mar 12th, 2018 at 3:42pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 9th, 2018 at 8:26am:

The Rolling Stones needed to find a new guitarist, and the recording sessions for the next album, Black and Blue (UK 2; US 1) (1976) in Munich provided an opportunity for some hopefuls to work while trying out for the band. Guitarists as stylistically disparate as Peter Frampton and Jeff Beck were auditioned as well as Robert A. Johnson and Shuggie Otis. Both Beck and Irish blues rock guitarist Rory Gallagher later claimed that they had played without realising they were being auditioned, and both agreed that they would never have joined. American session players Wayne Perkins and Harvey Mandel also tried out [i]but Richards and Jagger had a preference for the band to remain purely British. When Ronnie Wood auditioned, everyone agreed that he was the right choice.[/i]

...but that's discrimination Grin Are you fucking serious?

...It's great to be here...It's great to be anywhere!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)