Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Why no 1968 tour? (Read 963 times)
BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Why no 1968 tour?
Jan 30th, 2018 at 7:48pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
From what I've read, Brian didn't fall apart until the fall of 1968. The Stones' last tour concluded in April 1967. Between that and their performance at the NME in May 1968 not one single show.

My question is, does anyone know why the Stones didn't perform from April '67 to May '68? And why was there a big gap between the NME '68 show in May and the Rock N' Roll Circus in December?

As you can tell by my name on here, I'm a huge Brian fan and an early '68 tour would've meant footage of the band at their coolest (image wise). Imagine say a short tour from April to early June 1968 - around the time the JJF video was shot. Would've been ace!

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Re: Why no 1968 tour?
Reply #1 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 4:08pm
bad vibes

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 4:34pm
mojoman wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 4:08pm:
bad vibes

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #3 - Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:22pm
Lots of ongoing legal issues
Mick filming Performance
Brian starting to disintegrate

Multiple reasons, really.

I think also they were pretty burned out by touring by spring 1967.  Plus no one could hear them.

To get some perspective, the Stones have played around 2,200 shows.  Half of them took place in the first five years of their career.

Its not really a coincidence that the 'Big Three' acts of that time - The Beatles, Stones and Dylan - all took a break from touring around that time

The Beatles' last show was in August 1966.  Whilst they didnt announce it at the time, they never really seriously talked up the prospect of touring again after that.

Dylan stopped touring after his motorcycle accident in July 1966. He was absolutely burned out from it and if anything the accident probably saved his life. He didnt tour again until January 1974.

Two and a half years off the road for the Stones after April 1967 was something of an eternity for a band at the time.  And when they came back, everything was different, more professional (state of the art sound systems) and their audience had grown up and were willing to actually listen to them.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - Feb 5th, 2018 at 11:48pm
Gazza wrote on Jan 31st, 2018 at 6:22pm:
Lots of ongoing legal issues
Mick filming Performance
Brian starting to disintegrate

Multiple reasons, really.

I think also they were pretty burned out by touring by spring 1967.  Plus no one could hear them.

To get some perspective, the Stones have played around 2,200 shows.  Half of them took place in the first five years of their career.

Its not really a coincidence that the 'Big Three' acts of that time - The Beatles, Stones and Dylan - all took a break from touring around that time

The Beatles' last show was in August 1966.  Whilst they didnt announce it at the time, they never really seriously talked up the prospect of touring again after that.

Dylan stopped touring after his motorcycle accident in July 1966. He was absolutely burned out from it and if anything the accident probably saved his life. He didnt tour again until January 1974.

Two and a half years off the road for the Stones after April 1967 was something of an eternity for a band at the time.  And when they came back, everything was different, more professional (state of the art sound systems) and their audience had grown up and were willing to actually listen to them.

I know George was VEHEMENT against the idea of touring again and he kind of even very reluctantly went along with the Rooftop Performance.

How did the sound systems change so rapidly? Listening to 1966 and 1967 shows I don't think they sound bad - there just seems to be better sound separation in the 1970s. What I do notice is Keith played heavier in '66 than he did later (his tone is almost close to punk or metal). I wonder if he played louder/heavier as a result of lesser technology or because he hadn't touched heroin yet?

If we're being honest, Mick Taylor saves the 1970s concerts. Keith plays alright rhythm but he had just as many off days as on days especially in 1973. He was nowhere near as good as he was in 1968 (I consider the RNR Circus at '68 to be one of Keith's strongest moments, as he's pulling most of the weight, and he's a much better rhythm player than he was later on live)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)