Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
'Everybody knew who she was': Farewell to The Butter Queen, Dallas' most famous groupie (Read 1,802 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
'Everybody knew who she was': Farewell to The Butter Queen, Dallas' most famous groupie
Jan 27th, 2018 at 10:30am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
'Everybody knew who she was': Farewell to The Butter Queen, Dallas' most famous groupie

Robert Wilonsky

It has taken a tragedy to conjure the name of the forgotten semi-legend who lived, quietly, in our midst: Barbara Cope, known long ago as the rock 'n' roll groupie The Butter Queen.

Cope died early Sunday morning when her house, which sits not far from where she attended high school at Bryan Adams, caught fire. A neighbor managed to rescue Cope's 93-year-old mother, who remains hospitalized. Barbara did not make it: Dallas Fire-Rescue officials said her body was found near the front porch.

Even before the medical examiner confirmed her identity, word began circulating among veterans of Dallas' long-ago rock scene that The Butter Queen had been killed in the blaze. Days later, local television news noted Cope's place in the pantheon as the groupie immortalized in the Rolling Stones' song "Rip This Joint," the second track on 1972's Exile on Main St. Bawled Mick Jagger in the proto-punk rocker that served as a raging travelogue across the U.S.:

From San Jose down to Santa Fe/Kiss me quick, baby, wontcha make my day/Down to New Orleans with the Dixie Dean/Across to Dallas, Texas, with the Butter Queen

READ MORE: https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/commentary/2018/01/17/everybody-knew-farewell...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Re: 'Everybody knew who she was': Farewell to The Butter Queen, Dallas' most famous groupie
Reply #1 - Feb 19th, 2018 at 7:04am
I never knew what that Butter Queen reference meant until I read this. My guess is that she used butter as a lube. Very old school. Last Tango in Paris.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Re: 'Everybody knew who she was': Farewell to The Butter Queen, Dallas' most famous groupie
Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2018 at 12:11pm
Butter face? Blank Frigging Stare

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)