Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at 76 (Read 4,241 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at 76
Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bad way to start the year

Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at 76

Press Association

Sun 7 Jan ‘18 17.49 GMT  Last modified on Mon 8 Jan ‘18 00.03 GMT 

The musician, who played the flute solo on one of the band’s biggest hits, Nights in White Satin, had suffered from prostate cancer

The Moody Blues      
Ray Thomas (bottom right) and other members of the Moody Blues. Photograph: Reuters

The Moody Blues star Ray Thomas has died at the age of 76. The flautist and vocalist died suddenly on Thursday, his record label said.

Cherry Red Records and Esoteric Recordings said in a statement: “We are deeply shocked by his passing and will miss his warmth, humour and kindness. It was a privilege to have known and worked with him and our thoughts are with his family and his wife, Lee, at this sad time.”

The Moody Blues – psychedelia’s forgotten heroes

In 2014 Thomas revealed on his website that he had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. He said he had received his diagnosis in 2013.

“My cancer was inoperable but I have a fantastic doctor who immediately started me on a new treatment that has had 90% success rate,” he wrote. “The cancer is being held in remission but I’ll be receiving this treatment for the rest of my life.”

Born in Stourport-on-Severn on 29 December 1941, Thomas started out in blues and soul groups in the 1960s and later formed the Moody Blues alongside Mike Pinder, Denny Laine, Graeme Edge and Clint Warwick.

Although the band’s roots lay in the blues, their 1964 hit Go Now was a foretaste of the lush, orchestral sound that came to be called progressive rock.

Their 1967 album Days of Future Passed is a prog-rock landmark, and Thomas’s flute solo on the single Nights in White Satin one of its defining moments.

Thomas wrote several songs for the band, including the trippy Legend of a Mind and Veteran Cosmic Rocker.

Thomas also enjoyed solo success with the albums From Mighty Oaks and Hopes Wishes & Dreams. The Moody Blues, including Thomas, were to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 2018.

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at 76
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:42am
Moody Blues singer Ray Thomas dies at his home aged 76 after a battle with prostate cancer

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5243871/Moody-Blues-singer-Ray-Thomas-di...

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2018 at 10:43am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:38pm
I never really knew much about them as I am not a fan of "classic Rock" or Vintage Vinyl" radio...BUT...I did see them in 1981:
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-moody-blues/1981/brendan-byrne-arena-east-rut...

The start was underwhelming at they had a "power outage about 1 1/2 minute into the first song...so they eventually started over with all the lights and effects...it was too bad...but a good show none-the-less...I was 17 and likely pretty high...whats to not enjoy?

RIP Ray Thomas
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2018 at 5:44pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:44pm
You saw them with Patrick Moraz (one time Yes) on keyboards, I missed them that tour!!! I was living in NYC and they played at the MSG in 1981 and since I was the only one wanting to go I decided not to go alone and missed it, now I wanna go bak in time, never saw them but I have all their LPs  from the first one to The present (1983) I also have Sur La Mer (1988)

They were great during 1967-1971 mixing psychedelia with a little of progressive and classic rock, they have some brilliant things in this period

I don't like their post 1981 music, Long Distance Voyager was their last good album (IMHO) but I have not heard any post 1988

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:48pm
Correction: The show I missed was the one you attended, the show at the MSG was on July and I arrived in NYC late August 1981,

Back then it was the Meadowlands Arena and not the Brendan Byrne Arena

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #5 - Jan 8th, 2018 at 9:16pm
RIP. I listened to the The Moody Blues for hours, the original sounds are very trippy.  Cool

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2018 at 12:19pm
Yes, in fact they made a song for the LSD guru Dr. Timothy Leary (Legend of a mind)

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2018 at 10:48pm
RIP Ray Thomas

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #8 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:51pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 8th, 2018 at 6:48pm:
Correction: The show I missed was the one you attended, the show at the MSG was on July and I arrived in NYC late August 1981,

Back then it was the Meadowlands Arena and not the Brendan Byrne Arena

NOPE! It was The Brendan Byrne Arena FIRST...(then Continental Arena) as that douche bag of a governor would only approve the bond bill for it IF they named it after him..."The Meadowlands" was the entire complex...BBA...Giant Stadium and The Meadowlands Racetrack (Trotters)...folks just said "Meadowlands Arena" to keep it simple...Like they say "The Garden"

I imagine you and I had been to various shows together during your time in NYC w/o knowing it Voo...

Trivia...BBA was the FIRST arena built in the US to take Concerts and acoustics into consideration when being built

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 4:52pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #9 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:52pm
The list of shows I saw in my days in NYC (81-83) is really big and it includes Zappa in Halloween at the Palladium, King Crimson at the Savoy (I’m in the cover of the official release!!!), one of the shows of the Stones at the MSG, Genesis, Al di Meola, Greg Lake, Asia, Fogath/Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Ozzy just some days after Rhandy Roads passed away, in holly week LOL, The Who, Rod Stewart (thanks giving night), Police and The Go Gos (free ticket LOL), Mike Oldfield, etc etc etc

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:28pm
saw the moodys a couple of times first was the present tour with SRV as the opener never forget that night!. the run they had from 67 to 72 was incredible all those lps classics. rays sound is one of the things that made them stand out seems he influenced others anderson, gabriel and ian mcdonald. thanks for all the great music ray and enjoy your trip thru eternity!
« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:33pm by mojoman »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #11 - Jan 12th, 2018 at 5:36pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 8:52pm:
The list of shows I saw in my days in NYC (81-83) is really big and it includes Zappa in Halloween at the Palladium, King Crimson at the Savoy (I’m in the cover of the official release!!!), one of the shows of the Stones at the MSG, Genesis, Al di Meola, Greg Lake, Asia, Fogath/Blue Oyster Cult, Black Sabbath, Ozzy just some days after Rhandy Roads passed away, in holly week LOL, The Who, Rod Stewart (thanks giving night), Police and The Go Gos (free ticket LOL), Mike Oldfield, etc etc etc

I dont want to disrespect Mr Thomas and go off topic...but from this list VooDoo...I can say with most certainty...
(maybe) the one Stones show ( I saw one at Brendan Byrne and one at MSG...I think they played 3+3...TICKET LOTTERY!!)...BOC/Foghat...The Who/Clash (both nights)...Police+ GoGos at MSG...Genisis (ABACAB)...and too many to recall a The Dr Pepper Music Festival at Pier 84...The Original RITZ...The Palladium...and a few at RCMH...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #12 - Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:19pm
mojoman wrote on Jan 11th, 2018 at 9:28pm:
saw the moodys a couple of times first was the present tour with SRV as the opener never forget that night!. the run they had from 67 to 72 was incredible all those lps classics. rays sound is one of the things that made them stand out seems he influenced others anderson, gabriel and ian mcdonald. thanks for all the great music ray and enjoy your trip thru eternity!

Well said Mojo. Agree wholeheartedly.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #13 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:00pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:19pm:

last summer i went to a show the first without ray, still ageless as were justin and john. graeme maybe not so much

IP Logged

Maxmeister
Rocks Off Regular

Locked, cocked and ready
to rock!

Reply #14 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 12:24am
I saw them last night.  The show was fantastic. Justin and John are ageless as noted above. Sad to see Graeme  needed help with another drummer.

Rick

Time marches on.

Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #15 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:57pm
mojoman wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 9:00pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jan 18th, 2018 at 6:19pm:

last summer i went to a show the first without ray, still ageless as were justin and john. graeme maybe not so much

Justin still has one of the best voices......and best head of (grey) hair in rock today. That was clever You rock!

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)