Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rolling Stones equated to Charles Manson? (Read 2,035 times)
KMC
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Bayonne, NJ
Rolling Stones equated to Charles Manson?
Nov 20th, 2017 at 9:25am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This excerpt comes from an article on Manson's death appearing on this morning's Yahoo cover page.

"A petty criminal who had been in and out of jail since childhood, the charismatic, guru-like Manson surrounded himself in the 1960s with runaways and other lost souls and then sent his disciples to butcher some of L.A.'s rich and famous in what prosecutors said was a bid to trigger a race war — an idea he got from a twisted reading of the Beatles song "Helter Skelter."

The slayings horrified the world and, together with the deadly violence that erupted later in 1969 during a Rolling Stones concert at California's Altamont Speedway, exposed the dangerous, drugged-out underside of the counterculture movement and seemed to mark the death of the era of peace and love."

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Re: Rolling Stones equated to Charles Manson?
Reply #1 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 10:58am
Please. Ignore him.

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:18am
There were three big hits to the flower power culture, the great psychedelic years, to the peace and love era:

The dead of Brian, the murders by the Charles Manson family and the Altamont Festival all in 1969

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:20am
...and in two of them the Rolling Stones were involved, but it's a fact that those three events are related to the beginning of the end of an era

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:39pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:20am:
...and in two of them the Rolling Stones were involved, but it's a fact that those three events are related to the beginning of the end of an era

I'm not sure I buy that 2-3 years of culture based primarily in San Francisco/LA/NYC and London can be called an era. Brian's death was but a footnote for most after Hendix/Joplin and others. Just me read anyway...I'm sure other have a totally different take. (although I did live through those times!)

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #5 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:26pm
I lived through those times too, Charles Manson got out of Prison in '67, went to Haight Ashbury, the Hippie Girls were easy to manipulate, run away teens, as far as I know Charlie & his followers were never mentioned to be influenced by The Stones, the Beatles , yes, big time, they read songs in The White album like it was the Bible, Altamont big problem was the Angels, the end of the 60's in '69 was probably the worst year in the Decade, the zodiac killer was around too, those astrologist were saying the moon was in Scorpio if you believe in that stuff, it was mentioned when Altamont happened.
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:42pm by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #6 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:20pm
gimmekeef wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 12:39pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 11:20am:

I'm not sure I buy that 2-3 years of culture based primarily in San Francisco/LA/NYC and London can be called an era. Brian's death was but a footnote for most after Hendix/Joplin and others. Just me read anyway...I'm sure other have a totally different take. (although I did live through those times!)

Yes, it was an era and the era was (by far) the most important and most influential cultural phenomenon in the history of life, it was worldwide, just see how many psychedelic rock groups were formed all over the planet, even in socially retarded states and countries… well ask Joey, even Omaha was part of it (Hi Joey… LOL)

This cultural phenomenon transformed the behavior of the whole society, the way of life, the arts (Specially music and visual arts), the fashion, the way of thinking… the society was transformed all over the planet, all continents, even Africa and the middle east

As a phenomenon transforming the way of life it is only compared with the internet, but the internet was NOT a cultural phenomenon it was a technologic improvement.

It was an era, the age of Aquarius, too bad it ended.

Here in Mexico City it was huge, a lot of rock bands a lot of art, a lot of natural drugs but early in 1972, after the Avándaro Festival (The Mexican Woodstock) rock was forbidden by the government!!!
« Last Edit: Nov 23rd, 2017 at 8:14am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #7 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:22pm
and btw (for me) the era was 1963-1969, and the psychedelic years 1965-1969 and then going down, the rise and fall of an era

Have you no fucking shame? you made a grown man cry
« Last Edit: Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:31pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #8 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:30pm
anyways....

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #9 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 6:17pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Nov 20th, 2017 at 2:30pm:
anyways....

no blame the beatles

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #10 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:09pm
LOL no, Well... Yes, but by the White album, Charles Manson was talking about Beggars Banquet as he had the one with this cover

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #11 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 8:16pm
Just in case... I'm joking about the White album

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Nov 22nd, 2017 at 6:40pm

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #13 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 3:48pm
Hunter Thompson would blame it on the Angels and points out that the as far as the counter culture of the 60s went the rot set in in '65 although it took another 4 years for the decline to become obvious.

From F&LILV (emphasis mine)

"Sonny Barger never quite got the hang of it. The Angels blew it in 1965, at the Oakland-Berkeley line, when they acted on Barger’s hardhat, con-boss instincts and attacked the front ranks of an anti-war march. This proved to be an historic schism in the then Rising Tide of the Youth Movement of the Sixties. It was the first open break between the Greasers and the
Longhairs, and the importance of that break can be read in the history of SDS, which eventually
destroyed itself in the doomed effort to reconcile the interests of the ‘working class biker/dropout
types and the upper/mid Berkeley/student activists.
Nobody involved in that scene, at the time, could possibly have foreseen the Implications
of the Ginsberg/Kesey failure to persuade the Hell’s Angels to join forces with the radical Left
from Berkeley. The final split came at Altamont, four years later, but by that time it had long
been clear to everybody except a handful of rock industry dopers and the national press.
The
orgy of violence at Altamont merely dramatized the problem. The realities were already fixed
; the
illness was understood to be terminal, and the energies of The Movement were long since aggressively dissipated by the rush to self-preservation."

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:00pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)