Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
In memory of Tom Layhue (TomL, Sai Wong, Willie Dixon)
With Sir Moonie, Fleabit Peanut Monkey, and Nanky © NFI but thanks!r!

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Billy Corgan: Grunge Generation Didn't Give a Fuck About Bowie, Iggy or Lou Reed. It Shocked Me (Read 365 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Billy Corgan: Grunge Generation Didn't Give a Fuck About Bowie, Iggy or Lou Reed. It Shocked Me
Oct 18th, 2017 at 9:33am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Billy Corgan: Grunge Generation Didn't Give a Fuck About Bowie, Iggy or Lou Reed. It Shocked Me

Today's kids treat older artists with more respect, The Smashing Pumpkins frontman says.

The Smashing Pumpkins mastermind Billy Corgan talked about the grunge generation's lack of appreciation for some of his musical heroes, telling Forbes:

"People, they buy into the brands so the energy around the brand creates the opportunity, where in the past it was always about the catalog.

"It's a slightly esoteric point to make, but as a young man I stood there and watched my idols play in front of disinterested audiences, Gen X audiences who didn't give a fuck they were standing in front of fucking Davie Bowie, Lou Reed or Iggy Pop.

"And I couldn't believe it because I was like, 'Do you know who's in front of you? Do you know what these men are responsible for?'

"I couldn't believe the laissez faire attitude of my generation towards these incredible titans.

"Under these rules we live in now, they would be treated differently and the vibe and response would be different as we saw with David towards the end of his life.

"Some of the rules have changed about who you are and what you represent and the many things you've done.

"Where under the old rules it was like, 'What have you done lately? Are you gonna play 'All The Young Dudes'? No, I'm gonna be bored and go to the fucking hot dog stand.'"

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/general_music_news/billy_corgan_grunge_gene...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)