Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tom Petty in critical condition - Update: he has passed away (Read 13,596 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition
Reply #25 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 9:05pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
He saved the 80s.

...A great epitaph, and possibly even true.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #26 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 10:49pm
Yes he did, Andre".

The Stones and The Who were sucking, Dylan went X-tian, Zep wisely quit, and this strong rocker out of the South (Gainesville, FL), in an age where "new wave" and "heavy metal" tried to compete on biff, and then schmaltz idiotic Eagle stuff that still skunks to this day all over the goddam place, Tom Petty was all we had in the 80s.  He saved the 80s.

Tom Petty was magnificent.  Everything to the heart.  No one like Tom Petty.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #27 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:58am

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #28 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:00am

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

CS
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Hell
Reply #29 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 8:34am
An article by "the other" Bill Wyman

CLICK HERE

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #30 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 9:07am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:23am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 9:07am:

VooMoof, I don't understand what that link is about.  Sorry to be dense, but would you explain it?

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:56am

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #33 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 5:55pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #34 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 6:02pm
sirmoonie wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:23am:

VooMoof, I don't understand what that link is about.  Sorry to be dense, but would you explain it?

it's simple... in the web page you get when you do the "Lick to enlarge" routine you will find Nico's excellent website filtered for "Tom Petty"; what you get is the index in three pages for activities of the Stones with Tom Petty, you will find a few for Norman Petty

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #35 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 6:04pm
RIP Tom Petty
1950-2017

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #36 - Oct 4th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 6:02pm:
sirmoonie wrote on Oct 4th, 2017 at 10:23am:

it's simple... in the web page you get when you do the "Lick to enlarge" routine you will find Nico's excellent website filtered for "Tom Petty"; what you get is the index in three pages for activities of the Stones with Tom Petty, you will find a few for Norman Petty

I checked each link.  Confusing at best.  The only indication I have of Petty ever doing anything Stones related is your header photo, and that event is not even listed as far as I can tell.

We're all just rowing the boat of mondo hondo now.  Mondo.  Hondo.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #37 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 12:20pm
Watch the last song and gig that Tom Petty ever played

CLICK HERE

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #38 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 12:22pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #39 - Oct 8th, 2017 at 12:23pm

IP Logged

sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #40 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 12:32am
Petty and the Heartbreakers' best song.  Mellow live version.

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #41 - Nov 26th, 2017 at 6:35am
I think Petty's greatest song was "Mary Jane's Last Dance."

A sweet, fantastic song.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #42 - Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:59pm
Tom Petty's Cause of Death: Accidental Overdose

Singer had been taking several pain medications, including Fentanyl patches, to treat fractured hip and other issues

Tom Petty's cause of death has been revealed as an accidental overdose of prescribed medications.  Dean Fardell/Barcroft Images/Getty Images

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-pettys-cause-of-death-accidental-ove...

After months of speculation, a medical examiner has ruled that Tom Petty died of an accidental overdose, according to a statement from the Los Angeles County Department of Medical Examiner. The Hall of Fame musician had taken several pain medications, including Fentanyl, oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression).

The coroner's office listed Petty's official cause of death as "multisystem organ failure due to resuscitated cardiopulmonary arrest due to mixed drug toxicity," noting the singer suffered from coronary artery atherosclerosis and emphysema.

Petty had been prescribed the drugs to treat emphysema, knee issues and a fractured hip, his family said in a statement accompanying the results. Petty's coronary artery disease had been a persistent problem throughout his final tour.

"Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury," Petty's wife Dana and daughter Adria wrote in the statement. "On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication."

Although it was reported that Petty had suffered a cardiac arrest when he died last fall, the cause of death on his death certificate read "deferred." This decision often occurs in cases where officials don't want to make a ruling until after an autopsy.

Petty was found unconscious and not breathing at his Malibu home on October 2nd. He was rushed to a hospital where he was placed on life support. Although he had a pulse, doctors found no brain activity when he arrived and the decision was made to pull life support. He died hours later.

The singer had recently completed a 40th anniversary tour with his band, the Heartbreakers. It was intended to be his "last trip around the country," though he told Rolling Stone he wasn't going to stop playing. "I need something to do, or I tend to be a nuisance around the house," he said.

Petty said he'd experimented with cocaine over the years ("[It] was never a good look," he told Men's Journal) and drinking ("I didn't like the taste or the buzz," he said). But it was in the late Nineties, when he was in his late 40s and two decades after he'd become a superstar, that he developed an addiction to heroin after a bitter divorce from his first wife. "Tried to go cold turkey, and that wouldn't work," he said in author Warren Zanes' book Petty: The Biography. "It's an ugly fucking thing." He sought out treatment for his addiction and remarried in 2001.

"Using heroin went against my grain," Petty said in the book. "I didn't want to be enslaved to anything. So I was always trying to figure out how to do less, and then that wouldn't work. Tried to go cold turkey, and that wouldn't work. It's an ugly fucking thing."

Since his death, several artists have paid tribute to Petty onstage. Country artist Jason Aldean dedicated some of his time as the musical guest on Saturday Night Live to sing "I Won't Back Down." Bob Dylan performed Petty's "Learning to Fly" at a concert in Broomfield, Colorado. And Dave Matthews, Emmylou Harris and others sang "Refugee" at a benefit show in Seattle. Petty's Greatest Hits album subsequently made it to the Number Two spot on the Billboard chart after his death.

He was laid to rest on October 16th at a private service in Pacific Palisades, California.

Petty's family said they hope the musician's death leads to a broader understanding of the opioid crisis. "As a family, we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives," they wrote. "Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications."

Full Statement from Dana and Adria Petty

Our family sat together this morning with the medical examiner – coroner’s office and we were informed of their final analysis that Tom Petty passed away due to an accidental drug overdose as a result of taking a variety of medications.

Unfortunately Tom’s body suffered from many serious ailments including emphysema, knee problems and most significantly a fractured hip.

Despite this painful injury he insisted on keeping his commitment to his fans and he toured for 53 dates with a fractured hip and, as he did, it worsened to a more serious injury.

On the day he died he was informed his hip had graduated to a full on break and it is our feeling that the pain was simply unbearable and was the cause for his over use of medication.

We knew before the report was shared with us that he was prescribed various pain medications for a multitude of issues including fentanyl patches and we feel confident that this was, as the coroner found, an unfortunate accident.

As a family we recognize this report may spark a further discussion on the opioid crisis and we feel that it is a healthy and necessary discussion and we hope in some way this report can save lives. Many people who overdose begin with a legitimate injury or simply do not understand the potency and deadly nature of these medications.

On a positive note we now know for certain he went painlessly and beautifully exhausted after doing what he loved the most, for one last time, performing live with his unmatchable rock band for his loyal fans on the biggest tour of his 40 plus year career. He was extremely proud of that achievement in the days before he passed.

We continue to mourn with you and marvel at Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers incredible positive impact on music and the world. And we thank you all for your love and support over the last months.

Thank you also for respecting the memory of a man who was truly great during his time on this planet both publicly and privately.

We would be grateful if you could respect the privacy of the entire Heartbreaker family during this difficult time.

Dana Petty and Adria Petty

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2018 at 7:18pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: Tom Petty in critical condition - Update: he has passed away
Reply #43 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:01am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:59pm:
including Fentanyl, oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression).

Thats a crazy cocktail...though likely not all taken at once, they all stay in your system for a while...The horse gets you every time.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #44 - Jan 20th, 2018 at 10:58pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jan 20th, 2018 at 9:01am:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jan 19th, 2018 at 6:59pm:
including Fentanyl, oxycodone and generic Xanax. Other medications included generic Restoril (a sleep aid) and generic Celexa (which treats depression).

Thats a crazy cocktail...though likely not all taken at once, they all stay in your system for a while...The horse gets you every time.

Brutally sad.  Cry

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #45 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 6:42am
Fentanyl also played a role in the death of Prince and Lil Peep.

It appears Tom Petty was touring with a fractured and/or broken hip...which I understand is extremely painful, and partially explains  why he was consuming these RX's.

Very very sad...Thank you for the music Mr. Petty...RIP.

Maybe you're jamming with Roy Orbison and George Harrison  as I write this.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #46 - Jan 30th, 2018 at 10:07pm
I was at a liquor store tonight and Free Fallin' started playing on the radio. The line "Gonna leave this world for awhile" sounds especially poignant now.

I wasn't the only one enjoying the song. There was a young woman, probably just past the legal age, singing along in a low voice. I remember that song from when I was ypung:; I guess she will too.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)