Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Bill Wyman: Ex-Rolling Stones bassist puts 'treasure' on display (Read 1,966 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Bill Wyman: Ex-Rolling Stones bassist puts 'treasure' on display
Jun 24th, 2017 at 6:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Bill Wyman: Ex-Rolling Stones bassist puts 'treasure' on display

Ex-Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman has loaned his finds to the Moyse's Hall Museum
GETTY IMAGES

A Roman lock and a 17th Century seal discovered by former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman have gone on display.

Metal detecting enthusiast Wyman, who quit the band in 1993, found several of the items within the grounds of his Suffolk manor house.

He has loaned them to the Moyse's Hall Museum in Bury St Edmunds as part of its Lost Property exhibition.

The museum said it was "privileged" to have access to Wyman's collection.

Wyman, who had been a founder member of the Rolling Stones, has been a "serious detecting enthusiast" since he bought his first metal detector in the 1990s.

He said it helped him uncover the site of a Roman homestead.

Wyman said one of his favourite finds was a 17th Century seal
MOYSE'S HALL MUSEUM

Roman pieces found by Wyman have proven the location of a Roman settlement
MOYSE'S HALL MUSEUM

His first find was a water jug, which he found at his own property near Bury St Edmunds.

It is on display together with a Bronze Age sword and palstaves bought for him by Rolling Stones drummer Charlie Watts.

Wyman's finds have gone on display as part of the Lost Property exhibition at the museum
MOYSE'S HALL MUSEUM

Wyman started selling his own metal detectors in 2007 and told of his treasure-detecting adventures in his illustrated book Treasure Islands, co-written with Richard Havers.

His passion project became the inspiration for a song by Swede Mason:

The Lost Property exhibition is being held until 1 October.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-40327446

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Re: Bill Wyman: Ex-Rolling Stones bassist puts 'treasure' on display
Reply #1 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 6:42am
Who doesn't love Mr Wyman? Thanks, Edith.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #2 - Jun 24th, 2017 at 7:53pm
I always thought it was weird that Bill had this hobby because the people who normally do this are looking for money but Bill did find some cool stuff.

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2017 at 5:13pm
dudes bass is the treasure  lost it when he left, wonder if ol keef wanted to cut him for it. things aint been the same.

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 1:09am
The Detector, isn't it? Reddish-brown coins & watches with moistened batteries. Rusting oxide by the dockside. If it's two or three feet under, he'll know about it. Deep & dirty. A huge bladder & four thick-ish strings.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2017 at 1:32pm
He is keeping the girls bike seats he found to himself I see.....

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 8:28pm
Don't alert us when he puts his junk on display...

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Heart Of Stone
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

Charlottetown Prince Edward Is
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:08am
http://www.kshe95.com/news/real-rock-news/bill-wyman-slams-jagger-richards-not-g...
Former Rolling Stones bassist Bill Wyman has taken time out to defend long dead band founder Brian Jones, and accuse Mick Jagger and Keith Richards of stealing his glory over the years. Wyman is currently doing the rounds publicizing his first new solo album in 33 years called, Back To Basics, which will be released on June 30th. During an interview with ClashMusic.com, Wyman was asked about the fact that Jagger and Richards both stayed away from Jones’ funeral nearly 46 years ago. Jones drowned on July 3rd, 1969 at age 27 under suspicious circumstances, only weeks after being fired by the Stones following two years of drug and legal problems.

Wyman lasted out at the “Glimmer Twins” for not paying the proper respects to Jones, who created the band and was the architect of its original vision, saying, “The only ones to come were me and Charlie (Watts). There were a lot of peripheral people around the Stones that never turned up. No, it was disgusting. It really was disgusting. It was awful. It showed guilt. It showed the guilt by them of the way they treated him. Do you know that in Dartford Railway Station where (Mick and Keith) met, they’ve just put up a plaque now saying they created The Rolling Stones, which is totally out of order. I’ve had a few friends write to them and complain, saying: ‘It’s totally out of order. Brian Jones created the Rolling Stones, not Mick and Keith. They were invited into his band at later times,’ and they completely ignore it, because they want the accolade for Dartford."

He went on to say: “It’s so wrong, and I hate stuff like that, where people try to rewrite history for themselves. It’s so wrong. I was thinking of getting a couple of heavies and going down there and just ripping it off, and getting back on the train back to London. I’ve really been thinking about the possibility of doing it, because it’s so wrong. . . Mick and Keith should stand up and say, ‘No, this is wrong. We didn’t create the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones did. Brian Jones chose the name the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones decided what music we would play, and Brian Jones enlisted every member into his band in 1962 and ’63.’ That’s what they should say, but they ain’t going to, are they?”

Although Keith Richards has been known to be blunt when describing Brian Jones' horrible attitude around those closest to him as the 1960's progressed, he's the first to admit that Jones' musical prowess pushed the band's aural boundaries: “Brian would be able to walk into a studio and no matter what instrument was lying around, even though he’d never played it before, he would. . . he’d be able to knock something out of it, very, very quickly, y’know? Hence, we used to use vibraphones and stuff -- mainly just because they were lying around the studio -- and everybody thought ‘What a wonderful bit of orchestration,’ but it was sheer accident and Brian’s ability to be able to get something out of an instrument.”

Fast Facts:

Brian Jones played a pivotal role in the Rolling Stones' success, with his blond hair and good looks, as well as his ability to play any instrument seemingly within minutes of picking it up.

Jones, although uncredited, co-wrote and played the recorders and cello on "Ruby Tuesday," sitar and tamboura on "Paint It, Black," dulcimer on "I Am Waiting" and "Lady Jane," the lead guitar riff on "Get Off My Cloud," harpsichord on "Yesterday's Papers," the trumpet and trombone on "Something Happened To Me Yesterday," the marimba on "Under My Thumb," and the autoharp on "You Got The Silver."

Did you know?

As part of his agreement to quit the Rolling Stones, Brian Jones was offered a settlement, which gave him a lump sum of nearly $200,000, as well as a yearly salary of $40,000 for as long as the band stayed together.

He was also allowed to issue a statement saying that he had quit the band. He then reportedly tried to form a supergroup with John Lennon, who had stayed friendly with Jones after his firing.
« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2017 at 9:10am by Heart Of Stone »  

The Rolling Stones ain't just a group, their a way of life-Andrew Loog Oldham.
......[URL=http://s6.photobucket.com/user/merrillm123/media/69inLA.jpg.html]
WWW Merrill Moran  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)