Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
RIP Anita Pallenberg 1942 - 2017 (Read 30,101 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: RIP Anita Pallenberg 1944 - 2017
Reply #25 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 7:30pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
The Wick wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Gazza wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:10pm:
I loved the fact that she and Keith remained close considering the second half of their lives so far have been after they split up. 

When Keith was at Redlands, she was a regular guest /visitor. And they always found a place for her with the rest of the Stones' extended family when they gathered together at Stones gigs in London

Classy.

I think she lived in their house in Jamaica as well for most parts of the year and took care of it.

Really? Didnt know that. I was under the impression she wouldnt go back to Jamaica after that horrific prison experience that Tony Sanchez mentioned in his book. Wouldnt have blamed her, to be honest

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #26 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:41pm
These images were posted here in the very early days of Rocks Off, that was the typical size of an image in the era of internet via telephone

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #27 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:43pm

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #28 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:45pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #29 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:48pm
Thanks Irina

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #30 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:49pm
Thanks again Irina, reposted from the superblow thread

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #31 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:50pm
In Perú, 1969 with thanks to Cucho Peñaloza

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #32 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:51pm
Performance movie

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #33 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:52pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #34 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:52pm
With Nicly and Keith, Mick and Bianca wedding

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Other by Dominque, spoiled by Voodoo

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 9:54pm
to be continued... I'm taking those images from the Rocks Off archives, there's a lot more and please post yours

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:08pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:08pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 10:08pm
more pix on the article

IP Logged

Factory Girl
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #40 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:21am
Very very sad news.  I've always admired Anita for her ultimate coolness, her Stonesy muse, her amazing sense of style.  She was very influential on the Stones and on Keith.

RO posted a very cool interview with Anita a while back...in which she says, among other things, "I'm ready to die..."  Can it be reposted in this thread? 

RIP Anita.

... &&Government is an association of men who do violence to the rest of us. &&Leo Tolstoy &&

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #41 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:55am
A New York Times obituary reports a different birth date for Anita:

Correction: June 14, 2017
An earlier version of this obituary, relying on numerous sources, misstated Ms. Pallenberg’s birth date and age. According to a spokeswoman for Keith Richards, she was born on April 6, 1942, not Jan. 25, 1944, and therefore she was 75, not 73. The error was repeated in the headline.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/14/arts/music/anita-pallenberg-dead-actress-roll...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #42 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:42am
Factory Girl wrote on Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:21am:
RO posted a very cool interview with Anita a while back...in which she says, among other things, "I'm ready to die..."  Can it be reposted in this thread?

Of course, yes, please repost it, TIA

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #43 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 7:58am

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

christijanus
Rocks Off Regular

Scrap that shit off my
shoes

The Netherlands
Tweet of Keith
Reply #44 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:55am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Tweet of Keith
Reply #45 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 1:37pm
christijanus wrote on Jun 14th, 2017 at 11:55am:

Link does not work for me.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #46 - Jun 14th, 2017 at 7:04pm
page doesnt exist, so it was deleted.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #47 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 8:39am

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: RIP Anita Pallenberg 1942 - 2017
Reply #48 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:41pm
Dave Davies posted this footage on his facebook page. I've never seen it before.

This would have been BEFORE Anita met any of the Stones. Even then she's utterly captivating

And he added the following comment :

I met her several times mostly when she was with Brian Jones or at Castells in Paris - it was the most trendy club in Europe - Anita Pallenberg was an icon of the time. She represented what many young women wanted to be, sexy provocative a temptress - she invented a look - she was a stunning young woman who had the allure of a mature woman - rip Anita Pallenberg

... ... ...
IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: RIP Anita Pallenberg 1942 - 2017
Reply #49 - Jun 15th, 2017 at 5:49pm
Great piece in 'Rolling Stone'

Why Anita Pallenberg, Rolling Stones Muse, Was Queen of the Underground

"She was a rock & roll legend in herself, a style icon, a crucial part of the Stones' mystique," Sheffield writes of Keith Richards' ex

Of Anita Pallenberg, Rob Sheffield writes Keith Richards' ex was "a rock & roll legend in herself, a crucial part of the Rolling Stones' mystique" Mangold/Camera Press/Redux
By Rob Sheffield
1 day ago

Let's raise a toast to the late great Anita Pallenberg, queen of the underground, the Rolling Stones muse who gave the Glimmer Twins their glimmer lessons. Pallenberg, who died Tuesday night at the age of 73, wasn't merely Keith Richards' consort – she was a rock & roll legend in herself, a style icon, a crucial part of the Stones' mystique. She taught Keith her sinister glare, taught Mick Jagger her wiggle, taught Brian Jones how to wear floppy hats. Look at pictures of Keith before and after Anita – it's like the difference between Buddy Holly and Jack the Ripper. As soon Keith connected with Anita, he lost his gawky shyness and learned to strut like her, wearing her scarves and shirts and bangles. She was the flower of evil in the Stones' orbit, the baddest of bad girls – her grin declared she knew more about sin than any of these English schoolboys had ever imagined.

Things tended to burst into flames around Anita. Her friend Marianne Faithfull used to call her "Glenda Hindenburg." "Loads of people were scared of me," Anita said in Victor Bockris' Keith Richards: The Biography. "I guess it was all that savoir-vivre that I had, and I was from Rome and I had traveled and been in New York and I knew all these people, and I was pretty reckless as well. You could see Keith and Mick exchanging looks like, ‘Who is this weird bird?'" That was putting it mildly. As Keith recalled, "She knew everything and she could say it in five languages. She scared the pants off me!"

Pallenberg was a German-Italian actress who had hung out with the Andy Warhol scene in New York before she met the Stones. She appeared in films like Barbarella and Candy, but her most brilliant moment was in Performance, as the dangerous half of Mick Jagger's imagination. You can hear her in "Sympathy for the Devil" – she's one of the voices chanting "hoo hoo!" In the Godard film of the sessions, One Plus One, she radiates all her seductive magnetism even though she appears to be wearing a brown thrift-store carpet.

She entered the Stones scene in 1966, when she moved in with Jones. "I decided to kidnap Brian," she recalled. "Brian seemed sexually the most flexible." They began to dress alike, as he wore her finery. She cut his hair and dyed it blonder, until they looked like twins – blonde on blonde. The first time he did acid, Brian told her, "Dress me up like Francoise Hardy." She did. In November 1966, the London press printed scandalous photos of Brian in a Nazi uniform with Anita kneeling at his feet. As Stanley Booth writes in The True Adventures of the Rolling Stones, "Brian and Anita were into blowing people's minds." The Stones fancied themselves worldly young men, bad boys, but they'd never encountered anything like her. Their music got more outrageous and flamboyant with her around. In so many ways, she taught them to let it bleed.

That fall, Keith moved in with Brian and Anita. What could go wrong? "The first time I saw Anita my obvious reaction was ‘What the fuck is a chick like that doing with Brian?'" Keith recalled later. "Anita's incredibly strong, a much stronger personality than Brian, more confident, with no reservations, whereas Brian was full of doubts." As Brian grew more abusive and jealous, eventually breaking his hand on her face, she left him for Keith during a fateful trip to Morocco. They became bosom buddies with Gram Parsons, often taking drug-fueled trips to Joshua Tree to look for UFOs in the desert sky.

In a sense, Anita was the storm the Stones were seeking shelter from.

Pallenberg really earned her sixth-Stone stripes with her star turn in the 1970 film Performance, an essential part of the band's mythos. Mick Jagger plays a washed-up rock star hiding out in his mansion, living in a decadent menage a trois with Anita and Michele Breton. (The three spend quality time in the bathtub.) When a London gangster comes to hide out in the mansion, Anita seduces him, dresses him up in drag, and ravages his sanity. Anita and Mick shared graphic sex scenes – perhaps not quite faking it for the camera. The day Anita and Mick filmed their bedroom scenes, Keith was on the other side of town, strumming his guitar in an understandably grim mood. The song he wrote that day? "Gimme Shelter." In a sense, Anita was the storm the Stones were seeking shelter from – her cocky smile promising all sorts of there-goes-gravity chaos, with a jaw as broad as a guitar neck.

Keith Richards and Anita Pallenberg in 1970. "She taught Keith her sinister glare, taught Mick Jagger her wiggle, taught Brian Jones how to wear floppy hats," Rob Sheffield writes. Getty

All through the Seventies, Anita and Keith tripped through the days at lightning speed, living at a pace that turned other people to vegetables. She was not into discretion. When the Stones flew to Toronto in February 1977, she brought 28 pieces of luggage. For some reason, this caught the eye of customs officials, who found drugs in her bags, setting up the bust that nearly ended the Stones. "Anita is a great, great woman," Keith told Rolling Stone in 1981, after they split up. "She's a fantastic person. I'll always love her. I just can't live with her, you know?"

Pallenberg kicked drugs and remained hilariously flippant about the boys in the band. As she put it, "What I think is that the two of them, Mick and Keith, are going to have to face each other eventually. They should get married. Mayor Koch should marry them." In her later years, she got into gardening (which was fitting for the muse who helped inspire "Dead Flowers") and kept acting. She was brilliant in her 2001 role on the cult-classic British sitcom Absolutely Fabulous, in a memorable episode where Edina saw visions of God and the Devil. Marianne Faithfull played God; Anita, of course, played the Devil. A fearsome force to the end, which is why the rock & roll world will never forget to put roses on this bad girl's grave.

When I got the news of her death, I was at a Nick Cave show in New York City, which was really the perfect place to mourn a bad seed like Anita – I sang "From Her To Eternity" extra loud in her honor. Rest in peace, Anita Pallenberg. Blow away, dandelion.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/anita-pallenberg-rolling-stones-muse-was-...

... ... ...
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)