Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
How the Rolling Stones were snuck out of a Dorchester hotel (Read 905 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
How the Rolling Stones were snuck out of a Dorchester hotel
Jun 6th, 2017 at 5:35am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
How the Rolling Stones were snuck out of a Dorchester hotel

Kings Arms Hotel, Dorchester.

CAKES and loaves had to make way as one bakery worker smuggled the Rolling Stones out of a Dorchester hotel.

Reader Terry Coutts, 85, has been in touch after reading a story in the Echo about the King’s Arms Hotel in Dorchester. The hotel will now be opening in 2018.

But Terry said that you couldn’t get in or out of the place in the early 60s when Mick Jagger and the Rolling Stones stayed at the hotel and caused quite a stir.

At the time, Terry worked for George’s Bakery in Wyke Regis, Weymouth. He used to deliver bread to the stores in Dorchester. One morning the manager of the King’s Arms asked him to do him a favour- to smuggle the rock band out in his bakery van.

Terry said: “They couldn’t get out of the hotel at all. They couldn’t get their car out. I have never seen so many crowds. Dorchester hasn’t seen crowds like it since.”

People were packing around the hotel at the front and the back and the Rolling Stones couldn’t escape their adoring fans.

Terry said: “I put them in the back of the van. I pushed the cakes and bread to one side. I drove them to a safe place, where I knew they would be safe. Then I went back and got their car.”

He drove them to a quiet back street in the county town and snuck back to the hotel to pick up their car so the rock stars could make a quiet getaway.

Terry said: “They were very grateful, they said thank you.”

Do you remember when the rock stars came to Dorchester? Did you get any photos? We’d love to see them in Looking Back!

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/features/nostalgia/15330069.World_famous_band_w...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Re: How the Rolling Stones were snuck out of a Dorchester hotel
Reply #1 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:12pm
]

PM for Edith!!

Nice article too btw

« Last Edit: Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:50pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Re: How the Rolling Stones were snuck out of a Dorchester hotel
Reply #2 - Jun 6th, 2017 at 8:26pm

"GOTTA GET AWAY"

Haaaaaaaaaa haha great story. luv it. stones had to ditch their car temporarily to huddle beside the cakes and loaves in back of a van.

it's these informal anecdotal stories that i hope somehow are still able to be found by cultural historians 2,000 years from now--i believe, as i'm sure others do, that the stones will be studied for a long time.

can't you just imagine, for instance, let's say that one or more stone had been involved the night before in a sexual tryst with a groupie or a new someone. by the end of the night they say a furtive good night with the male(s) of course promising to be polite and phone the gal(s) in the morning to say farewell before they, bittersweetly, have to leave for their next gig. but then that ill-fated phone call is made impossible by this very impromptu decision to be smuggled out amongst the bakery goods.

how many gals anxiously sitting by their phone, awaiting a
stone call
(ha i think i just invented a new phrase for phone call!) do you think would've believed this true story? (especially considering the stones' reputation back then what with all the "would you let your sister date a stone type of promo ads).

although a smart stones girl might've deduced that it was too funny to be fiction.  Grin

it certainly would've made a major "dear diary" entry for the gal(s).

but sometimes you just "gotta gotta gotta get away, got to get away." they must've had to improvise or plan 1,000 ways to by now!"
« Last Edit: Jun 7th, 2017 at 3:13pm by tauk »  

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)