Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Former New York Doll David Jo in San Francisco soon (Read 4,580 times)
tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Former New York Doll David Jo in San Francisco soon
May 26th, 2017 at 10:59pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Don't know if anyone's interested but this coming Wed May 31 David Johansen in his "Buster Poindexter" persona will be doing a show in a small venue called The Chapel in SF. Then 2 days later, Friday June 2, he'll do a show north of SF in Petaluma. I discovered the Dolls and David Jo/Buster within the last year & love him. I'm going to the SF show.

(Try as I might I still can't directly post a pic or video and I can not view anyone else's or my own videos or pics=both my attempts and everyone else's videos all just are big white rectangles on my screen)

Here's his Facebook page that gives links and info re. the 2 shows.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/officialBusterPoindexter

YouTube of Buster doing "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom" Oh Yeaaaah! after telling one of his trademark funny jokes/between songs patter

https://youtu.be/hRj-arvlX3c?list=PLhbeDyV3J9kbnTpGb31Z0q9nH0Al1CFze
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2017 at 10:08pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Former New York Doll David Jo in San Francisco soon
Reply #1 - May 27th, 2017 at 8:24am
The Dolls were fantabulous, ahead of their time but just couldn't  get enough attention to make it to the big leagues.

Along with other reasons, I get the impression Johansen himself prevented the Doll's ascent to stardom.
The guy was just a little too full of himself, at least that's how I see it.

Set aside a couple of hours and watch this film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436629/

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2017 at 12:04pm
Hey tauk, instead of the dumbest fan you're the sexiest Rolling Stones fan on earth!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #3 - May 27th, 2017 at 6:07pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 27th, 2017 at 8:24am:
The Dolls were fantabulous, ahead of their time but just couldn't  get enough attention to make it to the big leagues.

Along with other reasons, I get the impression Johansen himself prevented the Doll's ascent to stardom.

Set aside a couple of hours and watch this film: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0436629/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Thanks for your input Edith Grove. I have watched my dvd that your link provided and have read 2 Doll's biographies..and several music critic's reviews of the early Dolls.

I submit that, if you are at all inclined to do so, you might want to take a second look at the David Johansen factor in the NY Doll's brief but glorious moment of fame/notoriety In The Beginning, early to mid 1970's.

There were several reasons for the non-commercial success of the New York Dolls. I'm not an expert and was not there but from the reading I've done I'd list them, in no particular order as:

First, a simple statement from me, tauk: Edith Grove, you state that its your impression that David "prevented their ascent to stardom." I am interested in what causes you to think that. I welcome any specifics you can give me.

I've yet to read or hear of anything David J did to undermine the success of the New York Dolls in the 1970's. If he did do something intentionally or unintentionally to undermine the Dolls that I am not aware of please let me know.

I want to understand what happened to cause the quick decline of what I consider to be one of the best rock bands of their genre. Best debut album to fail that I know of.

!) A Royal Screwing by Mercury Records, NYC office.They were under contract from 1973 to 1974.. They signed away all royalties from any sale of their 2 Mercury album recordings forever, and 100% completely. They also signed away all publishing rights.

This caused lack of morale and severe lack of money to live on. This was conducive to drinking & drugging (not that I'm stupid enough to not attribute personal responsibility for their own actions...but the fact remains, the Dolls were being productive, were not shooting themselves in the foot....yet.

2) Inept management and lack of money forced them into ridiculously touring. Brutal bus scheduling, criss-crossing illogically geographically stupid==bone weary tiredness resulted.
This was conducive for drinking and drug use to increase.

This was not conductive to their needing to compose new songs for their 2nd album. Which hurt their 2nd album.

3) Lack of radio airplay over most of the USA for their 1st album significantly contributed to the low album sales. This debut album, just like their local performances, was highly critically praised in their hometown of NYC. (Also, London always loved the Dolls ahead of the US).

HOWEVER, NYC and CA were just about the only radio stations that would risk playing the Doll's singles.  This was due to the general  Dolls' reputation for being "transvestites/cross-dressers".

The front of the album is a photo of them in various types of costumes, some of which might be taken as female clothing (but not all of it if you really take notice of the photo). DJ's were afraid their sponsors would balk at any Dolls radio airplay. Therefore, album sales never really stood much of a chance, outside of NYC/LA/SF.

4) Also Mercury Records never invested much money in publicity or studio rehearing/recording/producing time. Mercury Records never was really behind the Dolls. No one with money was ever really investing/supporting the Dolls. Again, fear  or dislike of the "transvestite" street/drug users image prevailed.

5) The emotional & psychological characteristics of most, not perhaps all, but some of the Dolls members combined with the above mentioned stresses were conducive to self-destructive, career destructive behaviors including but not limited to substance abuse.

O.K. yes, I admit it, I am in I'm in "L-U-V" (that's a plagiarism from the Doll's & an early 60's DJ favorite girl group) but I swear I am being objective (Ya ya , I know...Ha!) But seriously, I really am being objective...  Smiley

In my humble opinion I'd say David was the primary reason for what success they can claim from the early to mid 70's. Was David rather full of himself back then in his early 20's? Sure he was. David's stage demeanor, looks, and lyrics contributed to the charisma he projected which was often acknowledged as a huge factor of the Doll's fame.

As the band's primary lyrics writer=with lyrics that were unique and striking in their character-story driven depictions of teenager's angst and were emotionally expressive in a manner refreshingly distinctive from other bands at the time, and as lead singer with a talented voice and theatrical, demonstrative stage demeanor and frontman who handled the media's interviews, he shaped the band's message and appeal.

And then, of course there was His Looks Factor which certainly didn't hurt their popular image. But I want to impress you with my Objective Reasoning, not as a dumb empty headed whatever so I won't focus on that.  Smiley

Yes, David, while sitting, did fall over drunk, face forward onto the conference table during his first big meeting with Mercury Records.  But no one actually paid it any attention-Mercury Records wasn't listening to David or any Doll anyway.

Yes, David was drunk at a press conference I believe it was in Paris, at a hotel. But he was the only Doll to even show up & yes, he provided humorous retorts to the interviewers questions.

Unfortunately, the long term opiate addiction of Jerry Nolan (d. 1992) and Johnny Thunders (d. 1991) was a huge factor in David calling it quits as a band in 1975. Arthur was a very heavy drinker. Yes David drank heavily then and was not a total stranger to some narcotic use but he and the one other "Doll", Sylvian Sylvain, were much higher functioning persons in terms of professionalism & simply keeping the band afloat.

Common sense had to finally prevail in the face of Jerry, Johnny & Arthur's lack of ability to perform live. And Live performances were what they had to subsist on by 1975 . They had no record company contract at all by then coupled with the poor album sales of their 2 albums. By 1975 the Live performances were basically bar band level & was but their only source of income.

So came the inevitable night in a Tampa, FL trailer park, in the trailer kitchen of Jerry's mother, in near 100 degree heat and high, high humidity, with zero air conditioning (this being their only financial choice for accommodations since they were flat broke). Jerry & Johnny were so physically addicted to heroin (cheaper than pot in NYC then) that they would barely stay put in one spot long enough to show up for any of their pitiful but financially necessary, gigs. Jerry & Johnny were constantly wanting to go back to NYC to obtain their drug or would be otherwise out looking to score in whatever city/state they were in.

So David, imo, had no real choice but to finally acknowledge and pronounce the death of the band. Please don't shoot the Messenger.

Post Dolls from 1975-2004's reunion David & Syl did work together on & off. But yes, like the video on Arthur Kane points out, David did appear to turn down any requests for a Dolls reunion..that is until 2004.

From what others say about David's personality and character now...all I read/hear are positive things. He seems regarded highly by others and has matured a lot.

Selfish Diva-ness has given way to an emotionally generous grown up gentleman who still has boyish charm, humor, talent and charisma to spare. IMO of course.

I think Buster is going to perform fun, talent filled shows next week.

A Blast From the Past: Song "Looking For A Kiss" from 1973 debut album performed on the OGWT 1973

https://youtu.be/GvmvMFXWzc8

From the 3rd of 3 2000's Dolls album (2011) "Dancing Backward In High Heels"== "Kids Like You"

https://youtu.be/aYl6TF3MESo

From 2006 "album titled "Someday It Will Please Us To Remember Even This" song "I Aint Got Nothing"

https://youtu.be/_98WRw06f6I

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2017 at 8:19pm by tauk »  

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #4 - May 27th, 2017 at 7:55pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 27th, 2017 at 12:04pm:
Hey tauk, instead of the dumbest fan you're the sexiest Rolling Stones fan on earth!

gosh, thanks for the compliment--re. sexiness i assume of course that you were referring to my selection of the sexy music video of New York Dolls/David J/Buster P "Boom, Boom, Boom, Boom" rather than my looks (which would be logical since i have only posted a pic of a funny looking wig mannequin on my profile here & even if i did have a real photo of me on here it most certainly would prove i am not sexy)).  sexy song, indeed, so I will i acknowledge some basis in fact that perhaps sometimes i might get lucky and hit the right "sexy" note with music video postings but even then i'm sure i'm not the most sexy here or elsewhere...but thanks on behalf of David "Doll"'s sexy performances.

however wrong you are though re. my "sexy" quotient, i'll admit your compliments do serve as an encouragement for me to post here.

or could this be the beginning of my Freshman Hazing on this, for me, "new" stones forum? smart to start me on a false path of niceties...then BOOM! please forgive my doubting you but...

as i posted a few days ago, i'm always nervous on a new stones fan forum when things are going well for me i.e. compliments, replies, or simple acknowledgment of my existence  etc...because i'm always anxious about when will the Freshman Hazing/Initiation Rites commence. only when i am being treated badly do i feel relaxed because its' only then that i don't feel anxious about when it will start.

oh if only i were a sexy stones fan...or a  sexy stone...i close my eyes & wish i looked like mick jagger circa 1969 (but with keith richard's wardrobe) or david johansen circa 1973--female versions of them i mean..it's not really a big leap in either of their androgynous cases  Wink

IT IS KILLING ME TO NOT KNOW HOW TO POST A PICTURE LET A ALONE VIDEOS! I ALSO CANNOT SEE OTHER PEOPLE'S VIDEOS OR PICS- JUST BIG WHITE RECTANGLES.

Is something wrong with my computer or my settings for this website?

and, withstanding my above display of stress re. posting pics & videos, my self-statement/acknowledgment underneath my profile photo that i am the "dumbest stones fan on earth"--you will probably see what i mean after awhile-nature will take its course.

one case in point: my last post, just above this one, to edith grove re. the subject of david johansen's role in the new york dolls' ill fated career, what is posted is my SHORT VERSION==yes, i had to work hard to cut it DOWN TO THAT length.

dumbness causes brevity to elude me.
« Last Edit: May 28th, 2017 at 11:12am by tauk »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2017 at 3:40pm
tauk wrote on May 27th, 2017 at 6:07pm:
First, a simple statement from me, tauk: Edith Grove, you state that its your impression that David "prevented their ascent to stardom." I am interested in what causes you to think that.

Well, I gotta admit you're much more educated concerning the Dolls than I am.
Most of what I know is from that film I linked.

I might be wrong, but I get the impression Johansen is a rather extreme narcissist and probably took advantage of Kane's personality issues and maybe dumped on other band members as well.
Throw in drugs on top of that.....

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Arthur does seem like he was a sweet individual. Too bad his life was so depressing for him. At least he finally got what he'd wanted so badly for so long...a Dolls reunion.

When I first read about Arthur's death it was hard for me to comprehend how he could be so ill with leukemia and not know he had anything wrong with him at all (including during the Dolls' 2004 reunion concert in the UK which they had just done about 2 weeks earlier) until he died 2 hours after walking into an LA ER . He went to the ER only knowing that he felt fatigued.

However, it is now easy for me to comprehend how that could happen to just about anyone really.

O.K. now I'm going to shift into a 'nuther thing here...a brief story about my favorite topic (other than Stones) which of course is MYSELF Ha! But not really funny...

A PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT
brought to y'all by Tauk

**** [b]Title: "I Was Too Dumb To Know I Dying****

(Alternative title: "Death Is Whimsical Today" (Quote from Gary Oldman's character in the film "The Professional")

In February of this year I had recently finished reading this story of Arthur's death and seen it on the dvd. I was still pondering over Arthur's unusual (I thought) medical event when I, on Feb 4th, entered a Las Vegas ER via ambulance, and, to make a long story short, was surprised to learn that had I not gotten to any medical care I would have died within 24-48 hours tops.

Like Arthur Kane, My only symptom was fatigue (other than one bout of vomiting 2 days earlier).

I thought I had the stomach flu. I had been in bed for 2 1/2 days. I wouldn't have gone to any medical care at all if it hadn't been for my then roommate figuring out I needed to go...I objected but she called 911 anyway.

The Er Dr. informed me I was in the late stages of infection or "sepsis" called "Sepsis Shock". Sepsis shock will kill you if it goes on very long.

I had to have emergency surgery to remove a highly disintegrated, infected gallbladder. (I had no idea I had any gallbladder problem.) But the gallbladder wasn't what would've killed me ..it was the sepsis shock throughout my body.

They immediately put me on very strong IV antibiotics that would kill any kind of infection throughout the body....was on that antibiotic IV just about the whole 10 days in the hospital.

I asked the surgeon twice, once a few days after the surgery and again about 3 weeks later in his office, how much longer would I had lived if I hadn't gotten to the ER that Saturday night. Both times he confirmed it would have been around only one more day.

Trust me, if not for that roommate I would've just slept or kind of I'd say "passed out" in my bed until the very end.  I'm 100% sure. Stomach flu---all I could think of was ya, that can last a while..I would've "passed on" and not even known it was coming.

So, I can definitely relate to poor Arthur's tragic death. I learned a big lesson: You can be very very close to dying, like within a few hours/less than 1 day from a disease and NOT KNOW IT.

I always figured a lot of pain would be involved in dying usually....well, it wasn't painful...not sure if that's a good thing or not though....

If fatigue is the only symptom it can be very tricky. You get too tired to think straight...therefore, may be likely to not comprehend that you need medical care--BIG lesson I learned with this.

I never knew the word sepsis or Sepsis Shock before this. I have wanted to warn people about it...when I got home 10 days later & googled this "Sepsis Shock" I learned it is on the rise--big time on the rise-infections----and not being given the public health warnings that are warranted....many different causes for developing an infection...sometimes the cause is never found out...

So that's my Public Service Announcement/Warning...glad I finally got that off my chest...hope it might help someone someday.

Thanks for listening. This is the first time I've written/talked about this on any website. I just want to spread the info I learned the hard way to help others possibly.
Tauk

P.S. It is a very disconcerting feeling to realize you were "too dumb to know you were dying"...kind of like raised the question in my mind of "does that mean I'm too dumb to live???"

It rocked my world in a BAD way of ROCK.
O.K. Back now to the GOOD kind of ROCK!!!!

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2017 at 1:01am by tauk »  

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2017 at 9:34pm
Thanks tauk, I read your words, also had a similar experience when I didn't call 911 nd someone else did and it ended up saving a life. 

Just wondering, how old are you? You seem young but wise. I'm lucky enough to have lived through the 70's and in the NY area and the NY Dolls were a part of the late-night scene of which I was a participant of but was mostly too fvcked up  to remember most of it. But it was a fvcking great time!

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #8 - May 31st, 2017 at 1:36am
Bitch wrote on May 30th, 2017 at 9:34pm:
Thanks tauk, I read your words, also had a similar experience when I didn't call 911 nd someone else did and it ended up saving a life. 

Just wondering, how old are you? You seem young but wise. I'm lucky enough to have lived through the 70's and in the NY area and the NY Dolls were a part of the late-night scene of which I was a participant of but was mostly too fvcked up  to remember most of it. But it was a fvcking great time!

I'm glad to hear your 911 experience turned out o.k.
I've read that people who've been in Sepsis Shock, especially those over 50, have to be careful about how easily they might contract infections afterward. Which has happened to me once already, about 3 weeks after I got home. A UTI which I hadn't had for 35 years.

Oh you're so lucky to have seen the Dolls in the 70's!!!!
Did you get to see them during the best years--meaning 1972-74? But you would've been too young to see them then I assume.

Did you see David Johansen solo after the Dolls broke up?

I lived in Timbucktoo so to speak, rural Midwestern farmland in central Illinois growing up. So obviously the Dolls weren't a band I ever heard of back then. Oh how I've always wished I had grown up somewhere big like NYC!!!

A 20-year-old on eoms.org informed me of the existence of the Dolls about 9 months ago.-can ya beat that?1 A 20 year old.  Shocked. Makes me wonder how much more I don't know about, well, anything...

I'm 57. Thanks for saying I seem young. I feel younger than my years usually. But not when I'm close to dying!  Shocked

Feel like I'm having my second adolescence since becoming more of a Stones fan than ever before, started almost 3 years ago...going steady with it since then.  Smiley

Tomorrow I leave for San Francisco. I plan to only stay one night overnight. As usual I haven't packed yet or done a million other things I need to do to prepare...I'm incorrigible that way. Incorrigible late onset adolescent  Grin

Nice to meet you here.
Tauk
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2017 at 1:40am by tauk »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #9 - May 31st, 2017 at 4:56pm
Edith Grove wrote on May 27th, 2017 at 8:24am:

Bang on Edith Grove(just off the Fulham Road Love!) The Dolls were huge in Johnny Old mate.
We absolutely loved 'em. They were instrumental, in inspiring so many mid-70s British punk bands. Thunders was a semi- deified heroine(chic) God! And people can take that to the bank. Bosch!
That first album is an absolute rock collector's must have. It always gets on those lists we luv so much Roll Eyes Just joshing! I luv the Doll! And I miss the rush of my native Northern Hemisphere where; you can just go; "OH! Paul Weller's at the Guilford Town Hall next week. Can't we fly back to Oz ooooh, in about     a   year. Wink

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #10 - Jun 1st, 2017 at 11:57pm
gypsymofo-darn right that debut album is one gem of a record. UK always was ahead of the learning curve for the rest of the civilized worlds in L-U-V ing the dolls before anyone else...

a few hours ago I just returned home to vegas from my san francisco "date" with david jo/buster p last night. "my midnight trip to the stars" (dolls lyric quote).

i talked to his wife for several minutes afterward. she was great. david was beyond great. i felt like i was going to die...it didn't seem real. super small club.  Kiss Kiss Kiss

i've never previously experienced so much physical pain for the sake of any man as I did for David/buster last night. i ended up on my knees so that i could shoot the video from basically 2 feet from david's feet.
it was a hard floor.
i was
physically stuck
in that painful position. stuck. i couldn't get up although my knees were killing me. no one for me to grab onto to help pull me up. at the song's end i finally somehow grabbed the edge of the stage front & pulled myself up to a standing position, wobbly knees notwithstanding.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

i should've been wearing football knee pads. i am wearing a bandaid now, 24 hours later, on the bleeding scab. but i just HAD to get that close up video and view of this guy.

biggest payoff: when i first was kneeling down right at FOS i
think david noticed me
. just one single second of noticing me is all i ask  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy think I was the only one with a video camera-- he didn't look like he minded my videoing.

i saw his wife, mara hennessey, standing on the regular floor on left side of stage for most of the show.
after the show it was easy to approach her to talk--she's very nice. i assured her i hadn't been doing a live stream, which she asked me about. we discussed david's preferences re. YT postings of his shows...leave out the between songs jokes on YT so as to not spoil it for future audiences.

perhaps if i ever manage to see the stones again by then i will be more experienced with all these variables involved with live performances.

i almost manage now to show up at the right gate at the airport just before they have to announce my name on the loud speakers looking for me 'cos i run late. like i say, "almost" Huh Huh Huh

Dumbest audience moment was when some guy called out to david/buster to sing "Heart of Stone', which obviously is a Stones song..the guy was probably a little tipsey. Quickly some other guy corrected this by calling out for "Heart of Gold" which is a david/buster original & often a buster performed song.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2017 at 6:39am by tauk »  

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #11 - Jun 2nd, 2017 at 7:22am
This album is chock full of original compositions.

The singles, all of which most US radio stations refused to play due to the "transvestite" image associated with the band due to their front album cover art (and perhaps because they cultivated that image in their live performances.)

1) "Trash" backed w/"Personality Crisis"="Trash" has ambiguous gender characters with lush OOhhs and Ahaas backing vocals by Syl and Johnny and the repeated phrase of Syl's wondrous "Traaayyyyyyyyyyyyishhhhhhhh".

2) "Jet Boy"/"Vietnamese Baby".

"Looking For a Kiss" and "Frankenstein (Orig)" were live audience favorites.

On "Subway Train"==  who but David Johansen, would think to include in the last verse of a contemporary urban teen angsty love lament, a segment of an old Traditional American Folksong of "Dinah Won't You Blow Your Horn" ? I love it. (Wikipedia has a brief explanation of the euphemism contained in the line "someone's in the kitchen with Dinah".

His New York/Staten Island colloquialisms are interesting to learn==
"Subway Train"
"You had us pushing up posies just to get your fare"  re. his indifferent girlfriend.

And in "Personality Crisis", dealing with a "schizo" girlfriend obsessed with her looks:
"With all the crossing fingers Mother Nature sends"
You're mirror's getting jammed up with all your friends"

"Jet Boy colloquialism==
"We were all endangered charms"
Swear were having fun"...

In the second album in "Babylon" David's character checks out his looks ==
"Put my face up in the mirror
Just to clock my where's"

Also, quite unlike later punk, NYDs had a quite distinctive vocal sound incorporating 2 and 3 part harmonies and/or striking backing vocals. David was already drawing from his wide appreciation of other genres of music, including the girl groups of the early 60's such as The Shangri-Las.

"Lonely Planet Boy", their only slow song close to a ballad has David's emotions so close to the surface that sometimes his voice is merely a weary sigh and poignant moan, unlike sounds from other artists at this time.  Written by a 15 year old David in high school in his personal journal.  An ambiguous gender of the elusive beloved is seemingly alluded to.

Oh well, enough "tauk' already. The proof's in the pudding so here:

New York Dolls (self-titled) DEBUT ALBUM 1973 for which Mercury Records hogs 100% of all royalties & publishing rights since jump street back in 1973.

FULL ALBUM  https://youtu.be/po-SOprZ7Nc

!) Personality Crisis
or video: https://youtu.be/WP5ngHRuoTI

2) Looking For a Kiss
or video: https://youtu.be/GvmvMFXWzc8

3) Vietnamese Baby
or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/HxYUOy8v53k

4) Lonely Planet Boy or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/6wplJXrz-ak

5) Frankenstein (metaphor for NYC's harrowing effect on the young adults who move there)
or (audio only) from YouTube:https://youtu.be/jMO3JCrsDx4

6) Trash
or video: https://youtu.be/x9d5csMFAfE

7) Bad Girl
or video: https://youtu.be/em9CROWv6vg

8) Subway Train
or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/z-K4FPGdXbE

9) Pills (a Bo Diddley cover-the album's only cover song)
     or video: https://youtu.be/4YVgw7QO8uw

10) Private World
or audio from Youtube: https://youtu.be/5_H575GOT84

11) Jet Boy
or video: https://youtu.be/_Y8-CBXfzhE
« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2017 at 7:29am by tauk »  

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #12 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 10:27am
Soooo...how as the show last nite?

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #13 - Jun 3rd, 2017 at 9:49pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Jun 3rd, 2017 at 10:27am:
Soooo...how as the show last nite?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
hello paranoid android. thanks for asking. i wrote a little bit about it 2 posts above. it was fantastic.

buster shows are a little bit different than the early buster shows that he started with in the 80's and 90's. he use to basically stick with lounge/nightclub standards pre-rock or otherwise but now he says buster shows can include any kind of genre.
my fav songs were
John Lee Hooker's "boom, boom, boom, boom", and
the 50's rock 'n roll song "Rocket 88", and
janis joplin's "Piece of My Heart", which interestingly, in the middle of doing he interspersed another song-that "sloopy" song.
and "louisiana hannah" which was new to me but it was a rockin' hoot. buster commented that it was "swamp rock"

he did his original penned "heart of gold" and "oh me oh my ( i'm a fool for you, baby")

he did a song i was unfamiliar with called "desiree" (if i'm spelling that correctly", a slower song.

he did sinatra's "that's life" and dean martin's "volare" and a couple others i don't know the names of--perhaps from older movies or broadway shows.

as buster he does not do new york dolls songs or songs from his david jo solo repertoire. at least he didn't wed night & that's how any buster YT video is that i see. he doesn't ever mention the dolls or his work as david jo solo. he stays in the buster character.

the band was smaller than lots of other buster shows have been-this was a small stage, small venue. there was no horn section. Brian Koonin, a long-time collaborator, was on guitar. i can't recall the names of the other 3 guys- piano, drums, and one of those huge stand-up bass instruments.

he was very funny between songs with his trademark jokes and between-song patter. he told a good one re. a dream and horse race gambling, and as usual, jokes about not ever wanting to work hard. Also: A boy says "mommy when I grow up I want to be a musician." the mother says "you better make up your mind kid, because you can't do both." Well, it's funny when david/buster says it.  Smiley

and of course, charmingly, he said we were the best audience ever (sure we know we know but nice to hear it anyway.) he said he really was having fun and it looked like he might have meant it.

i don't think he really does a lot of live appearances anymore. at least not outside of the new york area.he does a sirius radio show broadcast at noon est every sunday.

i'm still wearing the bandaid on my knee from my foray up to the edge of the stage where i sat on my knees on hard floor to get close up video for the last 2 songs (encores). but it was worth it.

i hated not having the funds to pay for another couple hotel nights plus travel up to Petaluma for the 2nd show 2 days later.

i loved talking to his wife as i described 2 posts above.

i figured i'd have to go to nyc or close to there to see a buster or a david j show. so i'm tickled pink he came out here.

if any of my video is good quality in both audio and visual i will try to post a YT. but if all i have are songs that have already been posted several times from other shows and mine is no better quality i might pass on it. i know zero technically about how to post any YT or any video.

oh and did i mention he is still so easy on the eyes-very tall, very slim, great bunch of hair, face doesn't look anywhere near his 67 years, hasn't gained an ounce, that lucky so and so-- just like some other lucky so-and-so's we all know. Wink

ticket was super cheap $45 plus $10 tax, etc.

ya can't beat it with a stick.
« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2017 at 9:28pm by tauk »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)