Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The Complete Works: Ranking All 374 Rolling Stones Songs (Read 8,315 times)
sirmoonie
Rocks Off Regular

Re: The Complete Works: Ranking All 374 Rolling Stones Songs
Reply #25 - May 13th, 2017 at 11:38am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
This list has significant value, and is worth booksmacking.  The author is able to locate the majority of songs in the appropriate quintile, exhibiting a knowledge of the breadth and quality (declining) of Stones music.  And his commentary shows that, like many of us, the author sees his Stones as a historical and intellectual pursuit, as well  enjoyable.  Making each and every song on the list electronically selectable with a computer by means of a "URL" is a great touch as well.  I somehow didn't know they covered Marley/Tosh's Get Up, Stand Up, and now I've heard it, as well as a number of B-sides in the lower puff ranks that I didn't know existed or had forgotten about in a drug haze.

Unfortunately, he also goes with the now fashionable bashing of Indian Girl, which led to the biggest factual error on the list.  It's an in-crowd thing around here to bash IGgie (ER), all skeechie/sheckie.  Indian Girl is a quality country song, and we're lucky for it.  "Lesson number one . . . that you learn while you're young . . ." has all the aspects we love in Stones country.  This trend is like in the 70s when it was fashionable to bash Italians trying to stuff socks into Jordache jeans.  Look at where that led, now we have to account for those people as strict-scrutiny minorities with all their Chef Boyardee baked defamation suits and stuff.  Indian Girl bashing at 373 and the relative ranking of Dirty Work (album) as a whole are the only huge biffs that I can see on this comprehensive list of Rolling Stones songs.  This is an admirable achievement by this guy, and it looks like a ton of work went into this annotated list.  This guy/author is applaudable.

"But in terms of what's left of white people, we're still it." - Andrew Moof Oldham

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - May 16th, 2017 at 4:52pm
BILL PERKS wrote on May 11th, 2017 at 6:57pm:
That list of blasphemy.
No Spare Parts is abysmal.

I reckon this guy's a Steely Dan fanatic who got the Stones list by mistake. A 6 week run thru the catalogue, a pint with  a Stones convention, and Bob's your Aunt.
Who'd even bother with Sing This All Together, at all?

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #27 - May 16th, 2017 at 6:05pm
gypsymofo60 wrote:

Gimme Shelter should always be number one. Here's why.
The opening notes creep up on you like a bad trip.
The hairs on the back of your neck start to rise.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

me, tauk, say:Beautifully put, gypsymofo60. I love your description of your reactions to GS..I feel the same way.

I agree "Gimme Shelter" is the #1 for me. However, also, really, the 2nd one listed in that vulture.com list YCAGWYW" is almost TIED for #1 for me. 

As far as YCAGWYW goes--I'm far from a musician-so I can't really talk in specific musicology terms...but starting with those first notes from the solo horn---so sad it is beautiful-.....comparable in poignancy only to the solo horn of the USA's military "Taps."

Hmm, funny, it only just now occurs to me that both songs, GS & "Taps", have a military connection (assuming GS refers to Vietnam War).

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #28 - May 16th, 2017 at 6:07pm
To continue my last post re. YCAGWYU:

Interesting info is written on the video screen for "TAPS":

Of course y'all know this but just thought I'd post specific horn opening which follows the choir's opening verse for YCAGWYW-

HORN starts at .54 for 22 haunting seconds.

"I need a...I need a bohemian atmosphere" ("Performance", 1970, Warner Brothers Film)

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #29 - May 16th, 2017 at 6:17pm
Ooops, above post proves my rookie status here--my first post on rocksoff.org. Am trying to learn how to post a YT video.

YCAGWYW HORN starts at .54 for 22 haunting seconds:

"Taps"--24 notes I believe

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #30 - May 16th, 2017 at 6:19pm
I need Help. Sorry. I'll click on "Alert Moderator" button on last unsuccessful post.
« Last Edit: May 16th, 2017 at 9:09pm by tauk »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #31 - May 16th, 2017 at 8:36pm
It's easy, just copy and paste the URL (link) of the video, the best way is to copy the short link that appears when you ckick "share"

Then paste the link

Then mark the whole link, from the http to the last carácter

Then click the "YouTube" button ...

ALso the instructions are on each button, just right click on them

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #32 - May 16th, 2017 at 9:15pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 8:36pm:
It's easy, just copy and paste the URL (link) of the video, the best way is to copy the short link that appears when you ckick "share"

Then paste the link

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm so sorry I still can't get it to work. I post videos all the time on eoms, probably close to maybe 500 videos by now. Once in a great while I'll run into a YT that will only post as a link but usually I can get it to work as a fully posted video. I tried 2 different Taps videos & also the Stones GS video. I've tried every possible code.
I'm making sure the YT media brackets are positioned exactly right. Sorry to take up your time, thanks for trying to help.

O.K. So I can at least post the videos as a link. I've tried these 2 Links- they both DO WORK Yay! (I just omit clicking on the YT icon in order to at least get the Links to work right).

This is the US Military Taps, with some interesting info re. the history of "Taps."

This is the Stones'YCAGWYW After the opening choir verse STARTING AT .55 seconds are the haunting,mournful 22 seconds of the horn.

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2017 at 10:58am by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #33 - May 17th, 2017 at 5:13pm
tauk wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 9:15pm:
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on May 16th, 2017 at 8:36pm:

Then paste the link

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm so sorry I still can't get it to work. I post videos all the time on eoms, probably close to maybe 500 videos by now. Once in a great while I'll run into a YT that will only post as a link but usually I can get it to work as a fully posted video. I tried 2 different Taps videos & also the Stones GS video. I've tried every possible code.
I'm making sure the YT media brackets are positioned exactly right. Sorry to take up your time, thanks for trying to help.

O.K. So I can at least post the videos as a link. I've tried these 2 Links- they both DO WORK Yay! (I just omit clicking on the YT icon in order to at least get the Links to work right).

This is the US Military Taps, with some interesting info re. the history of "Taps."

This is the Stones'YCAGWYW After the opening choir verse STARTING AT .55 seconds are the haunting,mournful 22 seconds of the horn.

GrinHoly shit!
What an entrance!
I am pleased you liked my pontificating old rubbish Tauk. Thankyou!

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #34 - May 17th, 2017 at 7:07pm
gypsymofo60 wrote:
Holy shit!
What an entrance!
I am pleased you liked my pontificating old rubbish Tauk. Thankyou!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I wasn't aware that you possess a "Pontificating Old Rubbish". Is that some type of an antique? A painting or perhaps a recycled material sculpture like a bust of an old speech-making politician? If I ever encounter it I'm sure I'd like it just fine.  Smiley

And re. my "entrance"-thanks for noticing my prolonged entry. But to be honest, it was so prolonged of an entrance that it was becoming embarrassing. Ya, sure, I like to make a good entrance once in a while but I don't like staring into the Great White Abyss of videos that won't post. It's such an empty feeling.  Sad
« Last Edit: May 17th, 2017 at 7:24pm by tauk »  

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #35 - May 17th, 2017 at 9:23pm
You rock tauk!!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #36 - May 17th, 2017 at 10:19pm
I'm in heaven. Feels so good.  Cool

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - May 18th, 2017 at 5:06pm
tauk wrote on May 17th, 2017 at 10:19pm:
I'm in heaven. Feels so good.  Cool

Which film was it from? Oh, I dunno; "Feeling good is all that matters!"
I liked your descriptions on pontificating old rubbish.
How come you've only posted these few times? You should definitely post more often.
Anyway, it's nice to see you post, so post away baby. Wink

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #38 - May 18th, 2017 at 5:14pm
I warned you all I'd be like a fly on shit forever with this list stuff. Here's a few from a dickhead in the UK in some nonsensical crap I borrowed from a library, that's the old building falling to pieces down, or up your street. The one with the creepy old vines wrapping themselves all around, where you may chance to spy some wizened old crone waffling about the degradation of the written word.

Anyway, list thingy, Number one, and I shit you not people is....BUS STOP by the Hollies? Shocked
Now; I have long thought The Hollies to be somewhat under-rated as far as the 60s are concerned but, Bus Stop? come on.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #39 - May 18th, 2017 at 5:49pm
lavendar wrote on May 12th, 2017 at 8:10am:
Just scanned over the List !
WOWZA - Ya know ya love the Music when one is familiar with most All of the songs!
Totally fascinating- N Awe Huh

Yeah more familiar than the author of this list! Wink

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #40 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:35pm
My "I'm in heaven. Feels so good" comment was my way of saying thanks to Voodoo Child for saying
"you rock tauk"
because I find that to be just about the highest compliment anyone could ever give me. ...(which, now that I think about it, might be the ONLY thing anyone can ever think of to compliment me on)  Smiley  Naturalust said that "tauk you rock" to me way back like 2 1/2 years ago when I very first started posting which was on iorr. It's a good sign that I'm in the right place.

So, good going so far here....although I always go through a initial period of anxiety when starting on a new Stones forum...Everything goes at first so well that I'm always anxiously waiting for my Freshman Hazing/Initiation to come upon me with no specific forewarning-Surprise can be the best tactic of course for the Hazers. So I'll brace myself.

So I guess that tells ya a little about how my mental state functions.

I'm actually the happiest when I'm being harassed (or as Freya Gin might say, being "punished" in some way) because it's only then that I'm not anxious about when it will start.  Roll Eyes

Thanks for encouraging me to post. Y'all know how to say the right thing to actually encourage someone to continue to write posts on your forum.   

It looks like I joined here back on April 8th but I had some technical problem preventing me from logging in until just a couple days ago.

Sometimes, in the face of yet more new technicalities to constantly learn in today's world, I rebel and react by shutting down all use of technical things. But then I get real hungry when I refuse to use my microwave.

However, I'm promising myself I have to exercise more restraint and not spend EVERY waking moment addicted to this...IT FEELS LIKE I'VE BEEN ENTRAPPED IN THIS STONES OBSESSION FOR 2 1/2 years now: 1200+ posts on iorr in about 6 months before my banning in spring 2015. Now I have 1200+ on eoms plus 48 in last year or so on shidoobee.

My point being, I'm wondering how can I possibly have anything new to say? Well, I guess I've had my ways of getting around that...at least I amuse myself if not anyone else by rarely saying anything of any real substance. (No, that's not a drug reference.)  Grin

mofo-Yes, you're right..Like we said in the 70's "If it feels good do it."  Cool

Also, "Have a nice day!" (Come to think of it I'll bet that there would be no smilies/emojis today if it weren't for that ubiquitous 70's yellow round circle with the smiling face on it that said that about have a nice day! And we didn't think that fad would last! Ha!  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley  Smiley Smiley  Smiley

O.K. I'm up for all the rankings now..."the tauk abides."

Ta Ta for now.

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2017 at 2:59am by tauk »  

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #41 - May 18th, 2017 at 9:58pm
And in re. to "Bus Stop", you're right mofo= nice little confection but certainly not #1 on any list. That's so dumb it is actually weird-o strange that anyone would think that. If that's where that guy starts his #1 ranked song then I'd hate to be at a record listening party at his house and get treated to what he would play as his 50th greatest rock song. Can you just imagine???

Oh but I should clarify something-I have nothing against weird-o's per se...as long as they have good taste in music.

me, tauk say: "What do you mean--the bars and locks on all my windows and doors are to keep ME IN?? I always thought it KEPT OUT all those with bad musical tastes!"
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2017 at 3:04am by tauk »  

IP Logged

tauk
Rocks Off Regular

DUMBEST STONES FAN ON
EARTH

Las Vegas, NV
Reply #42 - May 19th, 2017 at 2:52am
me, tauk, wrote: I'm in heaven. Feels so good. 

you, mofo wrote: Which film was it from?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
me, tauk, say: mofo-I just now this minute finally figured out your play-on-words-joke. It only took me 1 1/2 days to get it. I often laugh before I understand  a joke. I know that's not always a good idea but I'm easy that way.
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2017 at 2:54am by tauk »  

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #43 - May 25th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Dave Thompson; Krause publications 2011. No. 2 Season Of The Witch, Donovan???
Top Stones song Gimme Shelter, no. 10. Don't have the list with me at the momento but, just 1 Joy Division song????
2 by Guns n' Roses, Ya gotta see this top 1000 list, this geezer is on some fucking seruious gear. Grin

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #44 - May 25th, 2017 at 9:30pm
The Stones tracks, all of 'em from this wankers great Roll Eyes list.
At no. 10 Gimme Shelter
33. Yes folks that's the next one on the list; Sympathy For The Devil.
60. Midnight Rambler
74. Satisfaction
121. Mother's Little Helper
129. Wild Horses
136. Let It Bleed.
156.YCAGWYW.
322. Honky Tonk Women
332. Lady Jane
375 Jumping Jack Flash
390. Paint It , Black
398. Angie
648. Memory Motel
672. 2000 Light Years
714. Play With Fire
726. Brown Sugar
766. Ruby Tuesday
And finally; at 858. Sister Morphine. Undecided

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #45 - May 25th, 2017 at 9:50pm
First Doors song on this list; 'Hello I Love You', no. 402. WTF? Huh I know Americans didn't really take to the Jam, but Gazza how do you feel about 'That's Entertainment at 259, and Tube Station at 483?
One Joy Division song, as I said earlier, 'Love Will tear us Apart'
at 89.
Immigrant Song at 568? Angry3 Sex Pistols songs, God Save The Queen at 116, Submission at 124, and Anarchy at 490.
Now here's a quandary, I absolutely adore 'Are Friends Electric' by The Tubeway Army, what an atmospheric diamond, no. 483? Shocked
No Stone Roses, She Sells Sanctuary at 777, Bittersweet Symphony at 224.
What an absolute tosser. Blind folded, I think he drew these out of a hat, and probably the next best rock song ever after Gimme Shelter, 'Welcome To The Jungle', no. 199. PATHETIC!

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #46 - May 25th, 2017 at 10:00pm
Some interesting additions:
502 Fox On The Run
659. The End by The Doors, surely top 20.
Deuce by Kiss, no. 720
Carry On Wayward Son, Kansas, no. 742
Whole Lotta Love  Grin 807??????
Meglomania, Sabbath, no. 989 Grin At least top 30 Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #47 - May 25th, 2017 at 10:29pm
Later today I intend to borrow one of those greatest album books.
I swear; if Sgt. Bleedin' Pepper is No. 1 I shall burn the fucker right there in the library.
And how come OK Computer suddenly raced up everyone's must have list? Trendsetting. Two plebs say it's the greatest lp ever made in the 90s and whoosh!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)