Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
RIP Emma Morano...Worlds Oldest Stones fan died today. (Read 1,409 times)
Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
RIP Emma Morano...Worlds Oldest Stones fan died today.
Apr 15th, 2017 at 3:04pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39610937

The world's oldest person has died in Italy at the age of 117, reports say.

Emma Morano was born on 29 November 1899 in the Piedmont region of Italy. She was officially the last person born in the 1800s still living.

She had attributed her longevity to her genetics and a diet of three eggs a day, two of them raw.

Ms Morano was the oldest of eight siblings, all of whom she has outlived. She died at her home in the northern city of Verbania.

Her life not only spanned three centuries but also survived an abusive marriage, the loss of her only son, two World Wars and more than 90 Italian governments.

She first discovered the Rolling Stones when her then neighbor's daughter needed a chaperone to go see the English band perform at the Palazzo dello Sport in Rome on April 6, 1967. She became an instant fan that evening and has enjoyed their music, almost daily, ever since.

She was 67 years old at the time, almost as old as Mick Jagger is today.

She mused, "The way that Mick Jagger danced around that night reminded me of the way the boys danced at the village socials at the local cantina during the Great War."

Ms Morano had admitted that her longevity was partly down to genetics: her mother reached 91 and several sisters reached their centenary.

But it was also down to a rather unusual diet of three eggs - two raw - each day for more than 90 years

It was a regime she took up as a young woman, after the doctor diagnosed her with anaemia shortly after World War One.

She had cut down to just two eggs a day, and a few biscuits recently.

Her doctor of 27 years, Carlo Bava, had told AFP news agency that she rarely ate vegetables or fruit.

"When I met her, she ate three eggs per day, two raw in the morning and then an omelette at noon, and chicken at dinner."
'I didn't want to be dominated'

Ms Morano also credited her longevity to her decision, in 1938, to kick out her husband - a year after her baby boy died at just six months old.

The marriage had never been healthy, she said. She had been in love with a boy who was killed during World War One, and had no interest in marrying someone else.

But, she told La Stampa newspaper in an interview when she was a spritely 112 that she was left with little choice.

"He told me: 'If you're lucky you marry me, or I'll kill you'. I was 26 years old. I got married."

Eventually, it became too much. Though they separated in 1938, they remained married until he died in 1978. Ms Morano, who worked until she was 75, chose never to marry again.

"I didn't want to be dominated by anyone," she told the New York Times.

She had only taken on a full-time carer a couple of years ago - but had not left her small two-room apartment for 20 years.

According to the US-based Gerontology Research Group (GRG), the world's oldest human being is now Jamaican Violet Brown, who was born on March 10, 1900.
« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2017 at 5:03pm by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Buffalo,NY
Re: RIP Emma Morano...Worlds Oldest Stones fan died today.
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 7:08am
Dominated ! Is that what its called !?  Undecided Undecided

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:10pm
I thought Joey was the oldest Stones fan, or is that Donald Trump? Cool

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #3 - Apr 21st, 2017 at 3:08pm
gypsymofo60 wrote on Apr 19th, 2017 at 5:10pm:
I thought Joey was the oldest Stones fan, or is that Donald Trump? Cool

TomL can certainly give them a piece of what-som'em

(said w/ peace and love)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)