Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Steel Wheels - thoughts? (Read 6,165 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: Steel Wheels - thoughts?
Reply #25 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 4:35pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I remember that in a review of Voodoo Lounge, a critic wrote that Steel Wheels sounded "like the Stones cut out the middleman and recorded the whole thing in a bank vault."

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #26 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:26pm
Talking of elephants, there's the old Indian story of the 'Blind Men & The Elephant' - which is about a number of blind men each having  a feel of a different part of an elephant and each coming to a different conclusion as to what it & therefore the whole is.
This is one reason I esp like both the Stoonz's lyrics and Jigger's singing style - the way multiple interpretations can result / are allowed and why I'm not too keen on lyrics being printed in the initial packaging accompanying albums (such as with 'A Bigger Bong'). Didn't Jogger once say that it's only necessary for one in three words to be heard clearly when singing? Also, many Stoonz songs seem to develop from recordings in which Jiggler sings vowel sounds as a way of developing a lyric, making up for the fact that lyrics are incomplete and as a way of 'conducting' the band.
Gawd knows what exactly he's crooning during the original Monserrat take of Sad Sad Sad - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RnjZ6qO0YA - but there are multiple differences from the released version.

Anyway, Bitch, I didn't mean to undercut what your ear-holes hear or your bwain gets from hearing 'Sad Sad Sad'. Apologies if it came over this way. I just wanted to add a thoughtlette into the mix.

However, if the lyric is indeed 'elephant in the room', wiouldn't this be more likely to be referring to a young lady's father rather than their hubby?

It still sounds like 'infant in the bedroom' to me, but maybe that's partly because I was amused to read that both Marsha H and Jerry H said that Jangler was 'annoyed' at some point by them breast-feeding at the expense of paying attention to him. Trick cyclists might (arrogantly?) claim that this partly derived from childhood issues concerning young bro Chris' arrival on the scene. I wouldn't mention this if MJ hadn't claimed (in the '70s) that he's a Freudian.

Sorry to have rattled on but I'm the sort of person who can see  seven or more layers of meaning and irony in even 'Let's Work'.

Happy days.

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #27 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:42pm
'Elephant in the room' is also a phrase often used in drug & alcohol addiction therapy.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #28 - Apr 2nd, 2017 at 10:48pm
WaiteringOnAFiend wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 9:42pm:
'Elephant in the room' is also a phrase often used in drug & alcohol addiction therapy.

Exactly. That's what I thought it was talking about.

I remember the parable about the blind men and the elephant too. It's a wonderful metaphor for humanity's perceptions about the universe, I think.

As to understanding one in three words, I'm not sure if I agree. Sometimes even those who know every word still don't seem to get what a song is about. And it's entirely possible for mishearing just one or two critical words to throw off one"s understanding of a song, though admittedly I can't think of a well-known example of that happening.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #29 - Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:36am
I bought my friend an elephant for his room.

He said "Thanks"

I said "Don't mention it"

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #30 - Apr 4th, 2017 at 8:13am
Elephant = Republican Party. In the bedroom.  Throwin' all its weight around.

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #31 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:48am
My only regret is that the Stones didn't make another album soon after Steel Wheels. Hirewire and Sex Drive were funky song and I wish they had done another album circa 1991 or so, and then Mick had taken Wandering Spirit and had the Stones do it for another album in '93, and then Voodoo...Would've been an awesome second spring instead of the long wait between SW and VL.

IP Logged

BrianRollingJones
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #32 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 11:51am
lotsajizz wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 6:28am:
There is no such thing as a bad Stones album, but this comes the closest.

I feel it's the last album were it sounds like they were really trying and not just phoning it in most of the time outside of parts of ABB.

IP Logged

Freya Gin
Rocks Off Regular

They'll Never Make a Saint
of Me!

2000 light years from home
Reply #33 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Egon wrote on Apr 3rd, 2017 at 3:36am:
I bought my friend an elephant for his room.

He said "Thanks"

I said "Don't mention it"

I like you.

BDSM in Classic Rock thread

"The best thing to be is bisexual, then you got a shot at everybody." -Rodney Dangerfield
Gin Shutters  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #34 - Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:42pm
I'm gonna listen SW to honor this thread... I enjoyed the álbum so much back then... I remember listening that one with my "discman"; love it!

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #35 - Apr 6th, 2017 at 7:55am
andrews27 wrote on Apr 2nd, 2017 at 4:35pm:
I remember that in a review of Voodoo Lounge, a critic wrote that Steel Wheels sounded "like the Stones cut out the middleman and recorded the whole thing in a bank vault."

Was that the Village Voice? I seem to recall reading that as well...anyway...Very chaotic point in my life...one that could have lead me in an entirely different career and personal life from to day...(should not have turned left dammit!)...

SW has not aged well...but as I listened to it this morning...I would say half are fair to pretty good song with 2 stand outs in there...

With the exception of the 15 second intro Cant Be Seen is a perfect Keef song...Slipping away also get highest ranks...COntinental Drift is the best song on the album ...5 stars...Almost Hear you Sigh gets 4.5 Stars

Bringing up the rear of the better in no specif order...Break The Spell...Hold On to Your Hat...Blinded By Love...and a pass for Hearts For Sale...which could have been so much better if Jagger sang instead of GRRRRRowled his way thru the song...

The rest is all just garbage IMO...

An Ugly album cover...with a dumb name to match...never made sense to me....even the press conference riding a train into Grand Central Station...was lame...they went from tying up traffic on a flat bed truck to closing down a single track during off peak hrs onto a crowded platform...LOL

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #36 - Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:08pm

A moderate album. The album was a sound track to go / coincide with a monster, groundbreaking record tour ..

Steel Wheels was a tour .. that had an album to coincide.. not an album .. supported by a world tour. The album was big news.. sure..  and it was not horrible.. it was simply high side of mediocre. Just enough to be a credible release.

The album was made fast and it was The Stones working to get their natural sound and groove back. The album sounds as it should .. It was not a disappointment .. It simply wasn't real strong. Even with all that said.. it was an important album.. with a fitting sound .. and has it's own little spot in later Stones history.

Not nearly as good as Voodoo Lounge that followed. The weakest of albums since the Stones come back (unofficial come back). It 'wasn't bad' .. It was fitting .. but that is as far as it went. Still sounds a bit forced and tight (<but not necessarily in an all good way) .. because they were tense and it was them just trying to get back to biz. Also the album was made pretty darn fast.. They were pretty rushed in making it.

There is good stuff on there.. Even some redeemable stuff... but it wasn't real strong. It was more a sound .. a sound track ... a deed that needed done to go along with a tour as it turned out. Wasn't a real strong / outstanding album on it's on. Wasn't bad ... As I recall and now looking back .. It was just good to hear them again. 

Ian
« Last Edit: Apr 7th, 2017 at 10:15pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #37 - Apr 8th, 2017 at 12:51am
It's quite interesting - and bemusing even - how people rate the Stoonz - and other interesting, funny and special/extraordinary people - as if an exam is being held, a term report is being sent home, with grades given to different tunes they've done during different seasons, sometimes giving half-points as if only teacher knows best. Rather than seeing the whole and all the ingredients and variations.

'Giving It Up' from the Steel Wheels sessions is luvly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwCJl4rJb90

IP Logged

lavendar
Rocks Off Regular

Buffalo,NY
Reply #38 - Apr 9th, 2017 at 7:00am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Apr 5th, 2017 at 8:42pm:
I'm gonna listen SW to honor this thread... I enjoyed the álbum so much back then... I remember listening that one with my "discman"; love it!

Agreed!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)