Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Don Was Talks Next Stones Album and Touring with Warren Haynes (Read 3,683 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Don Was Talks Next Stones Album and Touring with Warren Haynes
Feb 7th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Don Was Talks Next Stones Album and Touring with Warren Haynes

Michael Leonard

http://www.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/News/en-us/Don-Was.aspx

Don Was has been talking with Ultimate Classic Rock about his current projects. For most people, producing the next Rolling Stones album would be enough. But Was is also touring as the bassist for the star-studded 40th anniversary tour of the Band’s The Last Waltz. That band is being led by Gov’t Mule’s Warren Haynes.

In the interview, Was offers a few insights into his current work. He’s helped make every Rolling Stones album since 1994’s Voodoo Lounge, and says of the ongoing sessions for a new album of Stones originals:

“The energy is —ing great. And [the Stones] are stoked about the response to Blue and Lonesome... It’s them being them. It’s an affirmation of the band being itself. And I think that is having an impact on the sessions, which is great. But I will tell you we’re a ways off yet until we’re done.”

Of playing with Haynes, Michael McDonald and country star Jamey Johnson, Was says he’s not even sure when he became friends with the Gov’t Mule man.

“I’m not even sure. I had met him a couple times years ago. But the first time we really hung out was at the White House when President Obama did a blues show from there. I went with Mick Jagger, and I ended up spending some good time with Warren. Then we ended up putting out the last Gov’t Mule record on Blue Note. I also produced a couple of track on the next Gov’t Mule album that they’re working on and we’ve done a lot of live stuff in the past couple years.”

Of the current Last Waltz 40 Tour, which was soon expanded from a one-off plan, Was says

“If you like Beatles songs, [Paul] McCartney is out there giving you three hours of them, perfect versions. If you like Bob Dylan, he’s out there playing them. If you like the Rolling Stones, they do an amazing three-hour show. But nobody is out there playing songs that the Band made popular. And they are songs that are deeply etched into the zeitgeist. So it was like, ‘Wow, man, people love hearing these songs as much as we love playing them.’ It was a let down after the two nights in New Orleans. Now we knew the songs and we wanted to keep going.”

Was also reveals he’s “almost done” making a new with Gregg Allman at Muscle Shoals, and he’s also producing tracks for Niall Horan from One Direction. Horan plays guitar, usually a Gibson Les Paul Studio and SGs.

Full Don Was interview at Ultimate Classic Rock.

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Re: Don Was Talks Next Stones Album and Touring with Warren Haynes
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 5:40am
Hey Don, let me know when the Stones play a three hour show.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 11:49am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Feb 7th, 2017 at 9:16pm:
he’s also producing tracks for Niall Horan from One Direction. Horan plays guitar, usually a Gibson Les Paul Studio and SGs.

Bloody hell. That probably means a guest appearance by Ronnie on that dross.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #3 - Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:24pm

He indicates / says they have been in the studio recording since the release of Blue & Lonesome.

So  .. who knows.. if they want an album out this year.. I would think they are working on it off and on (wait a minute.. I'm <sure> they are working on it off and on .. because they are saying so. I'm saying during the current months they will prolly have it all done by April or something. They will have to rehearse in May .. shows in June July. Summer and late spring seems to be all tied up for them so if they want an album out this year..  My guess is they are getting to the meat and potatoes of said studio album around now... or at least they should be if they want an album out this year and being as it is not complete or mostly complete. 

Just sayin.
« Last Edit: Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:26pm by Ian Billen »  

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 8:15am
But first....won't we get Blue and Lonesome re-mastered?

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Pdog
Rocks Off Regular

aTx
Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2017 at 8:35pm
This actually excites me, I hope they make a short and sweet record.... no fluff. 35 minutes of music is ok....

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:26pm
A little disappointed the Stones won't be getting out of their Don Was comfort zone. Though I am not sure, apart from Rick Rubin I suppose or Lee 'Scratch' Perry, who I would suggest as an alternative. I'm a bit out of the loop these days on this sort of thing - who is the producer d'jour?

For me one of the best produced records in the last 5 years or so is Dylan's Tempest which Bob produced himself. They should get him to do it. He'd have a good idea of what the Stones should sound like. Unfortunately he may not have the time.

Or get the Glimmer Twins back on the job. Or maybe not - it might never get finished.
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:28pm by stonedinaustralia »  

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #7 - Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:43pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 7:26pm:
A little disappointed the Stones won't be getting out of their Don Was comfort zone. Though I am not sure, apart from Rick Rubin I suppose or Lee 'Scratch' Perry, who I would suggest as an alternative. I'm a bit out of the loop these days on this sort of thing - who is the producer d'jour?

For me one of the best produced records in the last 5 years or so is Dylan's Tempest which Bob produced himself. They should get him to do it. He'd have a good idea of what the Stones should sound like. Unfortunately he may not have the time.

Or get the Glimmer Twins back on the job. Or maybe not - it might never get finished.

Lol .. not sure if Bob Dylan would be the guy who should or even could produce A Rolling Stones album, mate. Jus sayin .. That doesn't seem feasible.. or realistic .. or beneficial even if he wanted to.

IP Logged

stonedinaustralia
Rocks Off Regular

wake up crackers or we
all through!!

Reply #8 - Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:19am
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:43pm:

Lol .. not sure if Bob Dylan would be the guy who should or even could produce A Rolling Stones album, mate. Jus sayin .. That doesn't seem feasible.. or realistic .. or beneficial even if he wanted to.

Well I wasn't being entirely serious I hope you understand. And as much as the results might be interesting if it could happen  I'd say that mick would last  about 10 minutes maximum under Perry's guidance

"you can see it against the girl's crocheted dress"

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #9 - Feb 17th, 2017 at 11:00pm
stonedinaustralia wrote on Feb 13th, 2017 at 1:19am:
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 12th, 2017 at 11:43pm:

Well I wasn't being entirely serious I hope you understand. And as much as the results might be interesting if it could happen  I'd say that mick would last  about 10 minutes maximum under Perry's guidance

Ahhhh .. my bad. I thought you were pretty much serious. I mean the result would satisfy curiosity and the concept is intriguing and all .. I just can't see that ever happening or being even in the realm of options for them.

Now I get you were funnin us ... I gotchas.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 9:45am
I think it's pretty obvious that the Stones enjoy being in a comfort zone. It's how we got Blue & Lonesome with Don Was at the helm.

I have no problems with him at all.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #11 - Feb 18th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Ian Billen wrote on Feb 8th, 2017 at 4:24pm:
He indicates / says they have been in the studio recording since the release of Blue & Lonesome.

So  .. who knows.. if they want an album out this year.. I would think they are working on it off and on (wait a minute.. I'm <sure> they are working on it off and on .. because they are saying so. I'm saying during the current months they will prolly have it all done by April or something. They will have to rehearse in May .. shows in June July. Summer and late spring seems to be all tied up for them so if they want an album out this year..  My guess is they are getting to the meat and potatoes of said studio album around now... or at least they should be if they want an album out this year and being as it is not complete or mostly complete. 

Just sayin.

or another way of looking at it is that about a year and a half into the project its quite evident that either they're devoid of inspiration or the songs that Mick Jagger has brought to the sessions are more befitting a solo record

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Maxmeister
Rocks Off Regular

Locked, cocked and ready
to rock!

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2017 at 3:30pm

Just sayin. [/quote]

or another way of looking at it is that about a year and a half into the project its quite evident that either they're devoid of inspiration or the songs that Mick Jagger has brought to the sessions are more befitting a solo record [/quote]

Just like A Bigger Bang. The majority of the tracks could have easily been on a Jagger solo. No thanks to deja vu.

Rick

The Stones are life....the rest is just details.

Always know if the juice is worth the squeeze.

IP Logged

Bitch
Rocks Off Regular

I always get my Rocks
Off!

FL - USA
Reply #13 - Feb 20th, 2017 at 11:14am
Is anyone here 72 years old? I'm not that old yet either, but if I was, I would probably be taking things slower and at a calmer pace to get things done right. After all this time, why hurry? I doubt they feel pressured into a timeline, even if someone is pushing for it.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #14 - Feb 22nd, 2017 at 6:41pm
The new album will come together and be fun to listen to. Just like the rest of them!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)