Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allan Williams, first manager of Beatles, dead at 86 (Read 1,747 times)
Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Allan Williams, first manager of Beatles, dead at 86
Dec 31st, 2016 at 5:32am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

Allan Williams, first manager of Beatles, dead at 86

by Bob D'Angelo, Cox Media Group National Content Desk

Allan Williams, the club owner and promoter widely credited with the discovery of The Beatles, died Friday. The music impresario, who also supported the group through their earliest years and sent them to Hamburg, Germany, to hone their skills as a band, was 86.

Williams owned the Jacaranda Club in Liverpool, England, which confirmed his death Friday night, The Guardian reported.

"Today is one of the saddest days in our history," a post on the club's Facebook page reads.

"(Williams') legacy has allowed us to remain at the heart of the Liverpool music scene for almost 60 years and his memory will live on through every band that plays our famous stage.

"Allan, you will be missed."
The club also paid tribute to Williams via its Twitter page:

...https://twitter.com/jacarandalpool/status/814928141902905345/photo/1

"It was mainly their personalities, because most of the groups were a bit on the thick side, whereas they all had good educations," he said. "They were a bit posher and more articulate. So I thought, no, I will take a chance."

Williams' coffeehouse-music venue was frequented by John Lennon when the future Beatle was a student at the Liverpool Art College, Rolling Stone reported.

From May to August 1960, the Beatles – then comprised of John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and bassist Stuart Sutcliffe – played occasionally at the Jacaranda and the Blue Angel, another venue owned by Williams.

Williams remained Beatles' booking agent for the beginning of the Hamburg tenure; however, after the band secured their own residency at the city's Top Ten club, they parted ways with Williams over a disagreement over his 10 percent fee, Rolling Stone reported.

In 1962, before Brian Epstein became the Beatles' manager, he approached Williams to see whether he had outstanding contractual links to the band. Williams didn't, but he warned Epstein, "Don't touch them with a bargepole; they will let you down."

Williams co-authored a book with William Marshall in 1975, titled, Allan Williams: The Man Who Gave The Beatles Away.
In an interview with the Liverpool Echo in 2010, Williams said he had no regrets.

"I was just glad to have been there in the '60s, at the start of it all. People say to me 'You should be a millionaire' – and I say 'But I am a millionaire!' Then they ask 'How come? Has Paul McCartney given you some money?' And I tell them 'I'm a millionaire of memories."

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/aHR0cHM6Ly9pZGVudGlmaWVycy5jbWdkaWd...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
RIP Allan Williams (High Beatle Content)
Reply #1 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:30pm
Allan Williams, the first manager of the Beatles, passed away a week ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/12/31/entertainment/allan-williams-beatles-manager-obit/...

That circle grows ever smaller.

Dude had nice hair, no? And ties as fat as Tele's.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Re: RIP Allan Williams (High Beatle Content)
Reply #2 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:32pm
Williams booked the band in Hamburg back in the early 60s. That's where George learned to show his legs.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2017 at 9:37pm

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 7:30am
Yes, this was posted twice beforeAnyway, RIP Allan

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Re: Allan Williams, first manager of Beatles, dead at 86
Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2017 at 8:22am
Yikes! I looked down the board and didn't see any note of it. Please forgive!

We don't have a politics thread do we? Or a ghey thread with dumb pictures of Joey? Or a thread of "Dallas" clips? I was thinking about starting one.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)