Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 178,743 times)
andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Re: The 2017 rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #75 - Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:47pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Every morning I open the papers and say, O bitch, this be thine obituary.

When I was little, my Polish-American great-aunt thought obituary was a dirty word. 

Today I suspect it's geographical: the Obituary Peninsula.  The Obituary Islands.

Molto obituario, signore!
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2017 at 1:14pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #76 - May 1st, 2017 at 9:37am
This was last year but was not mentioned, Signe Anderson, Jefferson Airplane's first Singer passed away on January 28

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #77 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:37pm
Bruce Hampton, 'granddaddy of the jam scene,' dies after gig

By Lisa Respers France and Stephanie Gallman, CNN
Updated 1936 GMT (0336 HKT) May 2, 2017

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/05/02/entertainment/bruce-hampton-obit/

Atlanta (CNN) — Death came for Bruce Hampton as he celebrated his 70th birthday doing what he did best -- jamming on stage.

Hampton, known as the "granddaddy of the jam scene," collapsed on stage while rocking out Monday night during a concert held in his honor in Atlanta.

His agent, Micah Davidson of Midwood Entertainment, confirmed to CNN that the musician died. He gave no further details.

Warren Haynes, the Allman Brothers Band guitarist who was on stage performing with Hampton, posted a statement Tuesday on his official Facebook page asking for privacy for Hampton's loved ones.

"After collapsing on stage surrounded by his friends, family, fans and the people he loved, Col. Bruce Hampton has passed away," the statement said. "The family is asking for respect and privacy at this difficult time."

The all-star event, held at Atlanta's Fox Theatre, was billed as "Hampton 70: A Celebration of Col. Bruce Hampton."

The stage was packed with performers -- including Dave Schools of Widespread Panic, Phish drummer Jon Fishman and Rolling Stones keyboardist Chuck Leavell -- when the seasoned musician appeared to take a knee, then lay down as 14-year-old guitarist Brandon "Taz" Niederauer shredded chords on one of Hampton's favorite songs, "Turn on Your Love Light."

Some in the audience thought the guitarist's actions were a part of the show.

Those on stage continued to perform. They included actor Billy Bob Thornton, who cast Hampton in a small role in his critically acclaimed 1996 film "Sling Blade," Blues Traveler frontman John Popper, and Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks of the Tedeschi Trucks Band.

Then people came out from the wings and carried Hampton off stage. The song abruptly ended

An ambulance arrived shortly thereafter and took Hampton away as dozens of fans watched quietly.

Born and raised Gustav Valentine Berglund III in New York City, Hampton was beloved in the music industry as a founding member of the rock blues quintet the Hampton Grease Band, which got its start in Atlanta.

While the band released only one album, "Music to Eat" in 1971, it developed a bit of a cult following, and Hampton went on earn a reputation as one of the best jam musicians in the industry.

He was the subject of a 2012 documentary, "Basically Frightened: The Musical Madness of Colonel Bruce Hampton."

Hampton he gave an interview in 2015 to the site Live For Live Music in preparation for his reunion tour with the Aquarium Rescue Unit.

He spoke of his extensive career, which stretched from playing in bands in the 1970s to doing voice-over work in commercials for brands such as Popeyes fried chicken and Motel 6.

"I was a lasso instructor and a lariat importer, and they were all weird, fleeting jobs," he told the site. "I've been fortunate to do music all my life, and I've done enough acting to make it fun."

Fans, including a few famous ones, grieved Hampton on Tuesday.

"So so sad to say goodbye to the great & wondrous Col. Bruce Hampton," Chris Robinson of The Black Crowes and Chris Robinson Brotherhood told CNN in a statement. "The music world lost one of a kind last night, a true original, a man who heard the light! God speed Col. Bruce, we miss you."

Added longtime friend Oliver Wood of The Wood Brothers, "Just by example, he taught us to challenge our ideas about music and what it's for. Bruce was equal parts prankster and mystic. He was serious about music, but also taught us not to take ourselves too seriously. He was a one of a kind human. What an honor to be with him on his final night."

Vocalist and saxophonist Karl Denson called Hampton "the poet of some undefined movement that all the artists came to for wisdom and clarity."

"Once you connected with him, you felt inspired not to be jive, to know what was important and take chances," Denson said in a statement. "Most of all, he made us supremely happy."

Leavell, the keyboardist who tours with The Rolling Stones and was part of the Allman Brothers Band in the 1970s, said Hampton died doing what he loved.

"A poetic exit," said. "And I'm sure if he had written the script himself, that would've been the last page of the last chapter."

CNN's Jason Morris contributed to this report.
« Last Edit: May 2nd, 2017 at 9:39pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #78 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:39pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #79 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:50pm
He passed away doing what he loved, jamming!

During his last minutes of life he played Rip This Joint with Chuck Leavell playing too

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #80 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:51pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #81 - May 2nd, 2017 at 9:56pm
The sad moment...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #82 - May 4th, 2017 at 6:45pm
Wow, that's grim. RIP Col.

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #83 - May 5th, 2017 at 10:55pm
rip colonel

IP Logged

gypsymofo60
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #84 - May 9th, 2017 at 5:05pm
andrews27 wrote on Apr 29th, 2017 at 10:47pm:
Every morning I open the papers and say, O bitch, this be thine obituary.

When I was little, my Polish-American great-aunt thought obituary was a dirty word. 

Today I suspect it's geographical: the Obituary Peninsula.  The Obituary Islands.

Molto obituario, signore!

Grin My Polish friend called a pedestrian crossing, a Presbyterian crossing, for years. In Australia, we refer to the hard shoulder of a road as the hard edges, or according to Barbara; our Polish friend, the hard eggs darggiling. Wink

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #85 - May 20th, 2017 at 4:16pm
Sad to add Chris Cornell to this list

Technically speaking this was an outlier, too Young to die

RIP Chris

The thread for Chris here http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1495101151/all
« Last Edit: May 27th, 2017 at 10:10pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #86 - May 27th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Sad to add Greg Allman too

RIP Greg!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #87 - May 27th, 2017 at 10:08pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #88 - Jun 28th, 2017 at 7:55pm
RIP Geri Allen (1957-2017)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geri_Allen

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #89 - Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:35pm
RIP Chester Bennington (1976 - 2017) too Young to die

Just in case... He was the lead singer of Linkin Park

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #90 - Jul 21st, 2017 at 6:11am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jul 20th, 2017 at 9:35pm:

Supposedly good friends with Chris Cornell, and died in the same way on Cornell's birthday. Weird.

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #91 - Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:19pm

Very sad. Cry

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #92 - Jul 23rd, 2017 at 10:59am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Jul 22nd, 2017 at 4:19pm:

Very sad. Cry

townsend dedicated a song to him last night. he praised them as an outstanding rock band that his son was a fan of

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #93 - Aug 2nd, 2017 at 9:16pm

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #94 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 10:32am
Oh no! There goes Tokyo!!

Haruo Nakajima, the First Actor to Play Godzilla, Dies at 88

Haruo Nakajima, who played Godzilla, at his home in Sagamihara, Japan, in 2014. To perfect the monster’s notoriously destructive gait, he spent hours at the zoo, studying how elephants and bears walked. Credit Junji Kurokawa/Associated Press

HONG KONG — Haruo Nakajima, the Japanese actor who played the movie monster Godzilla in a dozen films and whose booming steps in a 200-pound rubber suit sent the denizens of Tokyo running into cinematic history, died on Monday. He was 88.

Mr. Nakajima died of pneumonia, according to his daughter, Sonoe Nakajima.

In 1954, Mr. Nakajima, then a 25-year-old stunt actor who had previously appeared in just four movies, was cast in what are perhaps Japan’s two most famous films of that era. In Akira Kurosawa’s masterpiece, “Seven Samurai,” Mr. Nakajima had only a bit part. But in “Godzilla,” he played the titular character: a gigantic, irradiated lizard whose mutated form and destructive power symbolized the potency of nuclear weapons.

Video by TheSerenityEnd

Mr. Nakajima would eventually don the heavy rubber monster costume 12 times from 1954 to 1972, turning Japan’s postwar nuclear anxieties into an international phenomenon.

In an era before computer-generated effects, the international success of Godzilla kicked off Japan’s golden age of tokusatsu, or “special-filming” movies, in which rubber-costumed actors typically destroyed scale-model sets.

“We had to improvise, and make it all look real on screen,” Mr. Nakajima told The New York Times in a 2013 interview.

In that interview, Mr. Nakajima recalled Godzilla’s creator, Eiji Tsuburaya, struggling amid Japan’s postwar shortages and rationing to find enough rubber and latex to construct the costume.

“You don’t learn this from a textbook but by doing,” Mr. Nakajima said of those early days. “There is no chance to learn now.”

Mr. Nakajima in 1966. He donned the Godzilla rubber monster costume 12 times from 1954 to 1972. Credit Kyodo, via Reuters

At the end of a day of shooting, Mr. Nakajima would later recall, he typically sweat so much inside the hot, heavy suit and beneath the soundstage’s bright lights that he was able to wring enough sweat from his undershirt to fill half a bucket.

To perfect the monster’s notoriously destructive gait, Mr. Nakajima spent hours at the zoo, studying how elephants and bears walked. In interviews, the actor said that he had wanted to make sure the monster was believable and to enable viewers to connect with it on an emotional level.

Mr. Nakajima was born in Yamagata, Japan, on New Year’s Day in 1929. He was 16 when Japan surrendered to the Allies at the end of World War II and appeared in his first credited role in “Sword for Hire” in 1952, when he was 23.

As a contract actor for the Japanese studio Toho, Mr. Nakajima starred in dozens of other monster movies, including as King Kong in the 1967 film version.

He retired from acting in 1973 and is reported to have briefly taken a job at the bowling alley on the Toho studio lot. Beginning in the 1990s, he made frequent appearances at conventions for comic book and movie fans.

“Godzilla,” the first film in the franchise, was released nine years after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and was a not-so-thinly-veiled fable about the dangers of nuclear weapons.

“One might regard him as a symbol of Japanese hate for the destruction that came out of nowhere and descended upon Hiroshima one pleasant August morn,” The Times wrote in a 1956 review of “Godzilla: King of the Monsters,” the English-dubbed version of the film released in North America. “But we assure you that the quality of the picture and the childishness of the whole idea do not indicate such a calculation. Godzilla was simply meant to scare people.”

Mr. Nakajima was the first iteration of Godzilla to scare people, but not the last. Toho produced 27 more Godzilla films after Mr. Nakajima hung up his rubber suit in 1972. Since then, Hollywood has produced three “Godzilla” movies. The next in the franchise will star Ken Watanabe and is scheduled for release in 2019.

Follow Russell Goldman on Twitter @GoldmanRussell.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/08/world/asia/godzilla-actor-haruo-nakajima-japa...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #95 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 12:08pm
RIP Goldy McJohn (keyboard player of Steppenwolf and also Humble Pie in 1982), he passed away on August 1

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #96 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 4:02pm
Rest in peace, Glen Campbell

1936 - 2017

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #97 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:27pm
Rest in peace, John Abercrombie
1944-2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Abercrombie_(guitarist)

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #98 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:33pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:27pm:
Rest in peace, John Abercrombie
1944-2017

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Abercrombie_(guitarist)

one less great guitar playing

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #99 - Sep 3rd, 2017 at 7:14pm
RIP Walter Becker (Steely Dan) 1950 - 2017

a dedicated thread for him is HERE

Or use this link http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1504448929

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)