Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Charlie Watts Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
"The Collector's Series - Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1962 - 1969" © Mojo with thanks to Irina and Rollover

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 32
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 179,533 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #275 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 8:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ginger Baker, wild and brilliant Cream drummer, dies aged 80

Drummer who straddled jazz, blues and rock ‘passed away peacefully’

Ginger Baker, one of the most brilliant, versatile and turbulent drummers in the history of British music, has died aged 80.

His family had previously made it public that he was critically ill and asked fans to “please keep him in your prayers”. His Facebook page said he “passed away peacefully” on Sunday morning.

Paul McCartney was among those paying tribute, writing on Twitter: “Great drummer, wild and lovely guy … Sad to hear that he died but the memories never will.”

Baker was born in 1939 in Lewisham, south London, and grew up amid the blitz; his father was killed in action in 1943. He began drumming in his mid-teens, remembering in 2009: “I’d never sat behind a kit before, but I sat down – and I could play! One of the musicians turned round and said, ‘Bloody hell, we’ve got a drummer’, and I thought, ‘Bloody hell, I’m a drummer!’”

Early work came with the jazz guitarist Diz Disley – which ended when an 18-year-old Baker set fire to a hotel while on tour in Europe – and with bandleader Terry Lightfoot. He played blues in Blues Incorporated – including guest appearances with an early incarnation of the Rolling Stones – and US R&B with the Graham Bond Organisation, both alongside Jack Bruce on bass guitar.

Despite considerable friction between Baker and Bruce, the pair in 1966 formed Cream with Eric Clapton, who had previously played with the Yardbirds and John Mayall. Cream helped define the psychedelic rock sound of the decade, with Baker bringing both a jazz sensibility – Toad, from debut album Fresh Cream, features one of the first ever drum solos in rock – and a hard-hitting style, using two bass drums, that pointed towards heavy metal.

Cream sold more than 15m records worldwide and had hits including Sunshine of Your Love, Strange Brew and White Room; three of their four albums reached both the US and UK top five.

The band split in 1968, releasing a final album in 1969. A reunion in 2005 ended in animosity, with Baker and Bruce shouting at each other on stage in New York. In 1969, Baker and Clapton formed the short-lived band Blind Faith with Steve Winwood and Ric Grech, and the latter pair joined Baker in his next project, jazz-rock band Ginger Baker’s Air Force.

Baker moved to Nigeria in 1971 and set up the Batakota recording studio in Lagos, which hosted local musicians as well as established stars (McCartney’s band Wings recorded part of Band on the Run there). He performed with Nigerian star Fela Kuti – “he understands the African beat more than any other westerner,” said Kuti’s drummer Tony Allen – and went on to collaborate or perform with a hugely varied array of musicians: Public Image Ltd, Hawkwind, hard rock band Baker Gurvitz Army, and jazz performers Max Roach, Art Blakey and Elvin Jones. In 1994, he formed a jazz trio with Charlie Haden and Bill Frisell.

He had spells living in Italy, California, Colorado and South Africa, and developed a passion for polo. In 2008, when living in South Africa, he was defrauded of more than £30,000 by a bank clerk he had hired as a personal assistant. He also suffered from various health issues, including respiratory illness and osteoarthritis, and underwent open heart surgery in 2016. “God is punishing me for my past wickedness by keeping me alive and in as much pain as he can,” he said in 2009.

That wickedness perhaps included his notorious temper – “I used to be mean – I’d deliberately mess up recording sessions with my temper and go mad at the slightest thing,” he said in 1970. He was married four times – “If a plane went down and there was one survivor, it would be Ginger. The devil takes care of his own,” first wife Elizabeth Ann Baker said in 2009 – and used heroin on and off since the mid-60s: he told the Guardian in 2013 that he relapsed “something like 29 times”.

A documentary, Beware of Mr Baker, was made about his life in 2012. He is survived by his three children, Kofi, Leda and Ginette.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/oct/06/ginger-baker-wild-and-brilliant-cr...
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2019 at 8:43am by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #276 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:15am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #277 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:20am

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #278 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:21am

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #279 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 10:58am
Charlie keeps on ticking. Thank the lord!

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #280 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 3:03pm
Very gracious of Mick in light of Ginger Baker being an absolute knob towards him:

https://twitter.com/MickJagger/status/1180898674873905152

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #281 - Oct 6th, 2019 at 7:54pm

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #282 - Oct 10th, 2019 at 7:11am

RIP Mr. Baker
You Made It Hard For Us Mortal Drummers
« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2019 at 7:14am by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #283 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:28am
Today at 10:00 AM CST (in about one hour and a half) I will be live on the radio making a tribute to Ginger Baker, in case you want to listen just click HERE, it will be in Spanish

https://ibero909.fm/playlist-9091

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #284 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 11:01am
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 11th, 2019 at 6:28am:
Today at 10:00 AM CST (in about one hour and a half) I will be live on the radio making a tribute to Ginger Baker, in case you want to listen just click HERE, it will be in Spanish

https://ibero909.fm/playlist-9091

EXCELENTE PROGRAMA AMIGO!!
BIEN HECHO!!
« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2019 at 11:03am by Paranoid Android »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #285 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 12:32pm
Thanks Paul.... I shout it out "Rocks Off rules you bastards" and then "hi to Paul"

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #286 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 7:23pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Oct 11th, 2019 at 12:32pm:
Thanks Paul.... I shout it out "Rocks Off rules you bastards" and then "hi to Paul"

I heard it...it was AWESOME!!
Thanks for the honor!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #287 - Oct 11th, 2019 at 8:01pm

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #288 - Oct 22nd, 2019 at 6:52pm

Ed Cherney, Grammy-Winning Engineer for Bonnie Raitt & The Rolling Stones, Dies at 69

Ed Cherney, a Grammy and Emmy-winning engineer, who worked on such seminal works as Bonnie Raitt’s Nick of Time, Eric Clapton’s "Tears in Heaven," The Rolling Stones’ Bridges to Babylon, Willie Nelson’s My Way and hundreds more, died Tuesday (Oct. 22) from cancer. He was 69.

Other artists he worked with included Bob Dylan, Bette Midler, Elton John, Sting, Etta James, Bob Seger and Jackson Browne, among others.

Cherney, who worked out of The Village Studios in Los Angeles, was known for his quick-witted, jolly manner. The Chicago-native enjoyed a great conversation or golf game as much as finding the perfect sound.

After Cherney’s wife, former Record Plant head Rose Mann-Cherney, announced news of his death on Facebook Tuesday morning, tributes began pouring in from fellow engineers and producers, as well as artists like Slash, Keith Richards, Jann Arden and Raitt.

https://twitter.com/officialKeef/status/1186765812096491520

Cherney, who was nominated for five Grammys, snagged his first win in 1995 for best engineered album/non- classical for Raitt’s Longing in Their Hearts. That year, he engineered three of the five nominees in the category. He won again in 2003 for best traditional blues album for Buddy Guy’s Blues Singer and in 2016 for the best traditional pop vocal album with Willie Nelson’s Summertime: Willie Nelson Sings Gershwin, an award he won again in 2018 for Nelson's My Way.  In 2015, he won an Emmy for HBO’s Bessie Smith film Bessie.

In an oral history celebrating the 30th anniversary of Raitt's Nick of Time, Cherney told Billboard about the precision required to get just the right sound, especially on "Thing Called Love." "It may have taken me five or fix times to nail the mix on that, because where it sounded great was on the head of a pin. It was that delicate."  When the album went on to win album of the year at the 1990 Grammys, Cherney said, "It came out of nowhere -- this was just a little record. No one was expecting that at all. I may have cried. I may have just broken down and cried."

Engineer Ann Mincieli, best known for her work with Alicia Keys, was a close friend of Cherney's. She tells Billboard, "From the Rolling Stones to Bonnie Raitt and everyone in between, Ed Cherney defined his sound and left us with a sonic imprint we will never forget. Ed and his wife Rose helped raise the bar of every aspect of the music industry and mentored several people like myself. As [Recording Academy] Producers & Engineers Wing co-chairs, we walked the halls of Congress, sat behind a console, lobbied for credits and high-resolution audio and the list goes on and on."

Appropriately enough, his email address was "mixerdudeman." And fitting of his humility, on his website instead of tributes from the superstars he worked with, he had a quote from his dog, Archie: “Cherney is one of the great music engineers of all time. And then there’s bacon.”

His mantra, also on his website, best expressed his approach. Even though, by his own admission, he was obsessed with tech, he wrote: “Ultimately, mixing is about heart -- nobody leaves a session dancing to what kind of gear you used.”

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/obituary/8539954/ed-cherney-engineer-bon...

... ... ...
IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #289 - Oct 23rd, 2019 at 3:19pm

IP Logged

ijwthstd
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #290 - Oct 24th, 2019 at 6:45pm

How late Muffs frontwoman Kim Shattuck made final album while secretly battling ALS: ‘Nothing would stop her from doing what she loved to do’

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/how-late-muffs-frontwoman-kim-shattuck-made-...

"I went and saw Chickenfoot twice. I've suffered for being Sammy's friend" - Bob Forrest.&&&&http://www.soundcloud.com/thesameoldsauce
TotallyRandomDan  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #291 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 9:13am

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #292 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:23am
One of the greatest! He was at the right time in the right place

Via his works he has been here more than many of our regulars

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #293 - Nov 17th, 2019 at 10:28am
Fuck! Since this is a Lazy Sunday I just copy and paste one of the images in the article and used as a header but it was really big so here it is while I search for another

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #294 - Nov 18th, 2019 at 9:49am
In memory of Terry O'Neill... Thanks for all you did for us © Terry O'Neill with thanks to Edith Grove

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #295 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 4:52pm
Another great rock photographer, Michael Putland, has also left us. Responsible for quite a few iconic Stones shots

... ... ...
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #296 - Nov 22nd, 2019 at 11:40am
In Memory of Michael Putland © Michael Putland with thanks to andrews27

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #297 - Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:14pm
RIP Neil

Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for rock band Rush, dies at 67

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/neil-peart-drummer-lyricist-rock-band-...

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #298 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 2:23pm
Tom wrote on Jan 10th, 2020 at 4:14pm:
RIP Neil

Neil Peart, drummer and lyricist for rock band Rush, dies at 67

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/music/neil-peart-drummer-lyricist-rock-band-...

you made a grown man cry

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Tom
Rocks Off Regular

US
Reply #299 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:47am
Charlie meets Neil (backstage SARS)

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2020 at 10:48am by Tom »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)