Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 178,738 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #250 - Jun 11th, 2019 at 10:02am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #251 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 6:46pm
I hope the Stones do something in New Orleans to recognize the recently departed icons of NOLA rock-n-roll.

Dave Bartholomew, Mainstay of New Orleans R&B, Dies at 100

Fats Domino, left, and Dave Bartholomew, who co-wrote and produced many of Mr. Domino’s hits. “Dave was one of rock ’n’ roll’s first great producers,” one expert said.CreditCreditCharles L. Franck/Franck Bertacci Photograph Collection, via Historic New Orleans Collection

By Bill Friskics-Warren
June 23, 2019

Dave Bartholomew, the producer, arranger, composer, trumpet player and bandleader who had a major hand in the shaping of New Orleans rhythm and blues and early rock ’n’ roll, died on Sunday in New Orleans. He was 100.

His death was confirmed by his son Ron.

An influential figure who worked mainly behind the scenes, Mr. Bartholomew was best known for the hits he produced for and wrote with Fats Domino, including “Ain’t That a Shame” (originally released under the name “Ain’t It a Shame”) and “Blue Monday.”

Under Mr. Bartholomew’s direction, Mr. Domino placed 65 singles on the Billboard pop chart from 1955 to 1964. Among rock ’n’ roll singers, only Elvis Presley had more during that period.

Mr. Bartholomew’s musical reach extended well beyond his collaborations with Mr. Domino. He also produced and arranged signature hits by Lloyd Price (“Lawdy Miss Clawdy”), Shirley and Lee (“Let the Good Times Roll”) and Smiley Lewis (“I Hear You Knocking”). “My Ding-a-Ling,” Chuck Berry’s only No. 1 pop single, was an adaptation of “Little Girl Sing Ding-a-Ling,” a recording Mr. Bartholomew made under his own name in 1952. Elton John, Paul McCartney, the Rolling Stones, Hank Williams Jr. and Cheap Trick, among many others, have recorded material associated with Mr. Bartholomew.

“His importance cannot be overstated,” Dr. Ira Padnos, a practicing anesthesiologist and the founder of the Ponderosa Stomp, a national touring revue and foundation that recognizes and promotes the work of American roots music pioneers, said in an interview for this obituary in 2010.

Mr. Bartholomew in 1972 performing during the Newport Jazz Festival. He earned the nickname Leather Lungs for his ability to hold a note.CreditDon Hogan Charles/The New York Times

“Dave was one of rock ’n’ roll’s first great producers,” Dr. Padnos said. “And he created what might have been the first rock ’n’ roll record with ‘The Fat Man,’ ” a hit for Mr. Domino in 1949. “There was nothing else like it at the time. He put a heavy backbeat behind an old blues tune, and it became rock ’n’ roll.”

That “big beat,” as it came to be known, was supplied by the drummer Earl Palmer, one of several unerringly funky musicians whom Mr. Bartholomew recruited to work in his band. (Others included the saxophonists Lee Allen and Alvin (Red) Tyler.)

Besides appearing on his sessions, this tight ensemble played on Little Richard’s volcanic mid-50s hits “Tutti Frutti” and “Long Tall Sally.” It also backed Sam Cooke, with a young Allen Toussaint on piano, during his 1960 tour of the United States.

Fusing Mardi Gras parade rhythms, jump blues, big-band jazz and Tin Pan Alley pop, Mr. Bartholomew and his band created a Crescent City groove that became as enduring a part of rock ’n’ roll vernacular as Bo Diddley’s “shave-and-a-haircut” beat and Mr. Berry’s “ringin’ a bell” guitar.

No less remarkable was the fact that Mr. Bartholomew, a black man, achieved such prominence working in the Jim Crow South. “He was operating in a very segregated environment,” John Broven, the author of “Rhythm & Blues in New Orleans,” said in an interview. “You had to be somebody special to rise to the top.”

Mr. Bartholomew, left, shakes hands with Fats Domino in 1999 at the 50th anniversary observance of Mr. Domino’s first recording session in New Orleans.CreditJennifer Zdon/The Times-Picayune, via Associated Press

Dave Bartholomew was born on Dec. 24, 1918, in Edgard, La. (Some sources say the year was 1920, but the family said 1918 is correct.) The son of a jazz trumpet player, he grew up in a musical home and learned to play the tuba before moving on to trumpet.

He earned the nickname Leather Lungs for his ability to hold a note, and by the time he was a teenager he had spent time in a number of the region’s most popular bands, including those led by Joe Robicheaux and Papa Celestin. He later worked briefly with Jimmie Lunceford’s big band, and with a military band while serving in the Army, where he began writing and arranging music.

After serving in World War II he formed his own group, which appeared in New Orleans night spots like the Club Tijuana and the Dew Drop Inn, before meeting the record mogul Lew Chudd, who signed Mr. Bartholomew to his label, Imperial.

Mr. Bartholomew was working for the label as a talent scout when he first heard Mr. Domino perform, at the Hideaway Club in New Orleans. “The Fat Man,” the first single the two men made together, became a national hit and offered early proof of Mr. Bartholomew’s astute mix of commercial and artistic instincts.

“He was smart enough to know you couldn’t get a song named ‘Junker Blues’ played on the radio,” Dr. Padnos explained, referring to the drug-themed song on which “The Fat Man” was based, “so he came up with ‘The Fat Man’ instead. With Fats he wrote stuff that was accessible enough that the kids would buy it.”

The genial, steady-rolling arrangements Mr. Bartholomew wrote for Mr. Domino all but ensured the mainstream appeal of his music. The records Mr. Bartholomew released under his own name had more of a Caribbean or Afro-Cuban feel than his collaborations with Mr. Domino and the other youth-oriented performers whose sessions he produced. With titles like “Shrimp and Gumbo” and “Carnival Day,” these recordings were evocative of local New Orleans culture.

A broad cross section of Mr. Bartholomew’s music, including his work with renowned blues musicians like T-Bone Walker and Roy Brown, was presented in “The Spirit of New Orleans: The Genius of Dave Bartholomew,” a two-CD set released by Capitol Records in 1993.

Mr. Bartholomew’s name was linked to steadily fewer hit records as the 1960s gave way to the ’70s, but he remained active into his 80s. His 1998 studio album, “New Orleans Big Beat” (Landslide), featured “Jazz Fest in New Orleans,” which became the unofficial anthem of the city’s annual Jazz and Heritage Festival.

He was given a Trustees Award, for lifetime achievement, by the Recording Academy in 2014.

Survivors include his wife, Rhea (Douse) Bartholomew; his daughters, Diane Wilson and Jacqueline Temple; his sons, Dave Jr., Don and Ron; three stepchildren, Alvin LaBeaud, Darrell LaBeaud and Deborah Hubbard; a sister, Thelma Cooper; 25 grandchildren; and many great-grandchildren.

Mr. Bartholomew’s compositions have been included on the soundtracks of music-themed movies like “The Girl Can’t Help It” (1956) and “American Graffiti” (1973). A member of the Songwriters Hall of Fame, he was elected to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame in 1991.

That he was inducted in the “nonperformer” category was appropriate but perhaps misleading, Mr. Broven said. In addition to being “the one who organized all the musicians and whipped everyone into shape in the studio,” he noted, “he was a great musician himself, a red-hot trumpeter.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/23/obituaries/dave-bartholomew-dies-at-100.html

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #252 - Jun 23rd, 2019 at 7:20pm
RIP Dave Bartholomew, 100 years!!! WOW

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #253 - Jun 30th, 2019 at 8:26pm
RIP Gary Duncan from Quicksilver Messenger Service

« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2019 at 12:52pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
New Orleans legend Art Neville, founder of the Meters and Neville Brothers, dies at 81
Reply #254 - Jul 22nd, 2019 at 3:05pm
New Orleans legend Art Neville, founder of the Meters and Neville Brothers, dies at 81

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/keith_spera/article_4059d432-ac9f-11e9-9...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #255 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 2:20pm
rest in peace mr neville what a career. did the stones have anything to say?

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #256 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 8:47pm
I was lucky to get to see The Meters' last club gig:

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #257 - Jul 24th, 2019 at 8:50pm
May I call you one lucky bastard?

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #258 - Aug 16th, 2019 at 10:38pm
Rip Peter Fonda.....Yes, it's rock related!  Roll Eyes

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #259 - Aug 17th, 2019 at 1:08am
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Aug 16th, 2019 at 10:38pm:
Rip Peter Fonda.....Yes, it's rock related!  Roll Eyes

enjoy your ride thru eternity peter!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #260 - Aug 21st, 2019 at 10:19am
RIP Larry ‘The Mole’ Taylor

Canned Heat’s Larry ‘The Mole’ Taylor has died aged 77

by PAUL CASHMERE on AUGUST 20, 2019

http://www.noise11.com/news/canned-heats-larry-the-mole-taylor-has-died-aged-77-...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #261 - Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:26pm
"To Have A Good Boogie You Got Have a Bottom"
and That's what The Heat Had
Larry The Mole Taylor!

Rip and THank you!
« Last Edit: Aug 22nd, 2019 at 8:29pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #262 - Sep 7th, 2019 at 3:51pm
Swampers guitarist Jimmy Johnson has died

Swampers guitarist Jimmy Johnson.

By Matt Wake | [email protected]

He played guitar on Aretha Franklin hits, recorded iconic Rolling Stones tracks and co-founded one of America’s most storied studios.

And now today, Jimmy Johnson, original member of The Swampers sessions musicians group that played a massive role in giving Muscle Shoals its out-sized musical magic, has died.

Johnson was 76.

His son, Jay Johnson, announced Jimmy’s passing on Facebook. “He is gone. Playing music with the angels now,” Jay wrote in his Facebook post.

Jimmy Johnson leaves behind a recording legacy that’s as rich as they come.

His work with Franklin alone is towering. Johnson played guitar on essential Aretha songs including "Respect," "Chain of Fools," "Baby I Love You," "Think" "I Never Loved A Man (The Way I Love You)." "Do Right Woman, Do Right Man." And that's just the hits.

After Franklin died in 2018, Johnson told me her gospel-style piano playing was the secret to her sound. “I think that added a lot to her songwriting and also to her vocals," he said back then. "It was the thing that made (The Swampers) gel with her.”

Johnson's recording credits extend miles beyond Franklin.

He laid down guitar tracks on all-time cuts by Etta James (“Tell Mama”), Wilson Pickett (“Mustang Sally,” “Land of a 1000 Dances”), Paul Simon ""Kodachrome," “Loves Me Like a Rock”), Staple Singers (“I’ll Take You There," ”Respect Yourself"), Jimmy Cliff (“The Harder They Come”), Arthur Conley (“Sweet Soul Music”) and on and on.

Johnson was also an accomplished engineer. He recorded Percy Sledge’s “When A Man Loves A Woman” at Sheffield’s Norala Sound Studio. “At that time Percy had never sung on a record before,” Johnson told me in 2016. “And the performance he gave was so pristine and so good that it was almost hard to believe that was his first time. I think he was pretty scared to death when he came there that day. But I tell you what, that vocal on there ...”

Johnson would go on to engineer many more sessions at Muscle Shoals Sound Studios, which he founded in Sheffield with his fellow Swampers - bassist David Hood, keyboardist Barry Beckett and drummer Roger Hawkins - also known as the Muscle Shoals Rhythm Section. Probably the most famous is The Rolling Stones’ December 1969 sessions at Muscle Shoals Sound. The Stones sessions produced blues-rocker deluxe " Brown Sugar" and country ballad “Wild Horses,” as well as gritty blues cover “You Gotta Move.” Those three songs were released on the 1971 album “Sticky Fingers,” widely considered to be one of The Rolling Stones’ best ever.

In 2014 Johnson talked with me about recording The Stones: “All of a sudden 12 hours before the session I found out I’ve gotta do it. We had to get those songs cut within about five hours (each). The songs were not even finished written, two of them, ‘Brown Sugar’ and ‘Wild Horses,’ they wrote them as we were doing them.”

The biggest challenge Johnson recalled in recording the Stones was “the fact that Keith (Richards, Stones guitarist) liked to play on ’10.' Loud.”

Growing up, Johnson played in local bands include The Del-Rays. His first paying gig was at age 15 at the Tuscumbia National Guard Armory, earning a princely $10. Johnson’s session musician career first took off in the mid-60s at Muscle Shoals’ FAME Recording Studios, where he worked for producer Rick Hall, the father of “the Muscle Shoals sound,” a tight but loose approach sometimes described as country-funk.

He was Hall’s first paid employee at FAME, sweeping floors and making coffee. After Hall’s first house rhythm section left FAME to move to Nashville for work, Johnson, Beckett, Hawkins and Hood became FAME’s second rhythm section - and would go on to become that studio’s most famous. In addition to all the wonderful music they helped record, The Swampers profile received a major boost when they were given a shout-out in one of rock’s most enduring anthems, Lynyrd Skynyrd’s 1974 hit “Sweet Home Alabama”: “Now Muscle Shoals has got the Swampers/And they’ve been known to pick a song or two.”

At FAME, The Swampers became known for their song-first mentality and soulful playing on R&B hits by the likes of Franklin, Pickett and James, among many others.

In 1969, Johnson, Beckett, Hawkins and Hood opened their own recording studio, which became Muscle Shoals Sound, in a former coffin factory located across from a cemetery. The cinder block building may have been humble but soon even the address there, 3614 Jackson Hwy., would become well-known among musicians and fans. In addition to The Stones, other now-classic artists to record at Muscle Shoals Sound during the studio’s 10 year prime - both at the 3614 original and lesser known 1000 Alabama Ave. location - included Rod Stewart, Paul Simon, Cher, Bob Seger and Bob Dylan.

For recording sessions, Johnson often played a Telecaster, Strat or orange Gretsch 6120 guitar through a Fender Vibrolux amp. His guitar style was focused on rhythm. It was clever, funky and sharp. Just the right chord or simple-tasteful lick at just the right moment on a track. And knowing how to let a song breathe.

In 2013, there was renewed interest in Johnson and The Swampers, with the release documentary film “Muscle Shoals,” which chronicled Hall and The Swampers’ intertwined paths. In recent years, music fans were able to see Johnson, who mostly focused on studio work, perform live more often, at gigs with the Muscle Shoals Revue, playing onstage versions of Shoals-made classics.

Hood was visiting Johnson in the hospital just an hour before Johnson’s passing. Later, after hearing his friend of 60 years - not just his longtime musical and business partner - had died, Hood says, “I was devastated. Jimmy was a brother to me. I would not be in this world of music if not for Jimmy and his encouragement. From the first time I ever touched a bass he encouraged me. I would not be doing what I’m doing if not for Jimmy Johnson."

Johnson also was important to a new generation of Muscle Shoals musicians. After news of Johnson’s death broke, Grammy winning singer, songwriter and guitarist Jason Isbell posted on Isbell’s Twitter account, “The mighty Jimmy Johnson has passed. A lot of my favorite music wouldn’t exist without him, and he was always kind to me. Hard times for the folks back home.”

A few years ago, Muscle Shoals Sound's interior was restored to its vintage look, including a tufted green and gold striped ceiling. The double-8-shaped white Styrofoam sound proofing is also period-correct, as are various musical instruments in the main room. Behind big glass windows, there's a control room with recording console and analog tape machine.

Johnson enjoyed stopping by the studio during tours. He loved to interact with visitors from around the world eager to learn about Muscle Shoals Sound mojo, and get to know the studio’s tour guides.

“Jimmy was a great storyteller,” recalls Muscle Shoals Sound executive director Debbie Wilson.

And the people at Muscle Shoals Sound are determined to continue to tell Jimmy Johnson’s story. Even if today is a hard one to get through.

“We look at his guitar and cry,” Wilson says. “We look at the control board and cry. But the music, legacy and his spirit will live on and we are honored to make sure it does.”

https://www.al.com/life/2019/09/swampers-guitarist-jimmy-johnson-has-died.html

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #263 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:21pm
Influential photographer Robert Frank dead at 94

https://www.latimes.com/la-me-robert-frank-snap-story.html

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #264 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 1:40pm
Thanks Edith, well, 94 and active is a great way

Robert Frank Dies; Pivotal Documentary Photographer
Was 94

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/10/arts/robert-frank-dead-americans-photography....

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #265 - Sep 10th, 2019 at 7:09pm

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #266 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 8:44pm
Looks as if nobody has as of yet marked the passing of Eddie Money.

Cancer can suck my testicles.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/13/entertainment/eddie-money-cancer-death-trnd/index...

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #267 - Sep 13th, 2019 at 10:48pm
Eddie was great, Saw him at Champagne Jam 1978 in Atlanta, he played with every one that played that day. Mother's Finest, Doobie Brothers, Atlanta Ryhthm Section
He seem to be a hard workin Party loving Rockin Roller! RIP Eddie! Thank you
« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2019 at 11:18pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #268 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 7:32pm
Ric Ocasek of the Cars has now died as well

https://pagesix.com/2019/09/15/the-cars-frontman-ric-ocasek-found-dead-in-manhat
tan-townhouse/?fbclid=IwAR3lRe0nDaWV0r32lsdZlozeWBG_5iKWKdqxUJuD6_jpUi1qrot41ry8
5KI

Ric Ocasek, the lead singer of iconic new-wave rock band The Cars, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Sunday, law enforcement sources told The Post. He was 70 years old.

Ocasek was discovered unconscious and unresponsive at around 4:14 p.m. inside his Gramercy Park pad by his estranged wife, Paulina Porizkova, sources said.

He appeared to have died from natural causes, sources added.

Ocasek and his seminal new wave band The Cars shot to fame with their self-titled hit album in the 1978, which included hits such as “My Best Friend’s Girl” and “Just What I Needed.”

The singer reflected on his years in the band when he was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame last year.

“It’s certainly a wonderful feeling to be accepted by peers and you see the people that are in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, who gets inducted, it’s a positive feeling that you get,” Ocasek said in an interview with Rolling Stone.

From 1978 to 1987, the band churned  out six records — “five of which are good-to-great,” said Erik Adams, an AV Club music critic, in a 2018 article.

“And then there are The Cars, the type of band that put out a perfect debut record, and then had the audacity to not pack it in after that,” the critic wrote.

In 1984, the band received another notable accolade, winning MTV’s “Video of the Year” award for its hit song off its 5th album, “You Might Think.”

After a long hiatus, the band reunited in 2011 and released an album called “Move Like This.” It was the band’s first, and only, album without late- bassist Benjamin Orr, who died in 2000.

Ocasek had recently placed the home where he was found on the market after he and Porizkova announced their split in May 2018.

The pair — who shared two children together — had been together for 28 years when they separated.

« Last Edit: Sep 15th, 2019 at 7:33pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #269 - Sep 15th, 2019 at 10:11pm
Gazza, this is a tough one.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #270 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 2:09am
Honk.
He may not have closed his own car door (like Meghan Merkel) and may not even be barely remembered by many, his first and perhaps greatest mistake was naming his band as he did, rather than as The Coupes, Our Motors, The Floats, The Shitboxes or The Wagons.

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #271 - Sep 16th, 2019 at 10:26am

RIP RO...(not RocksOff!)

I re-discovered The Cars about 4 years ago when I started my Spotify membership.

I urge everyone to listen to the First Album, The Cars- Deluxe Edition.
It has of course the first album, but it also includes all the demos of the songs, before they are all tightened/produced/minimized to the sounds we all know today.

Those guys were real rockers...

Their live album Live At The Agora is also excellent and shows how good they were live at the start of their career.

My fave is Candy-O

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #272 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 4:26pm
Robert Hunter, Grateful Dead Collaborator and Lyricist, Dead at 78

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/robert-hunter-grateful-dead-dead-8...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #273 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:05pm
RIP Robert

It must be getting early
Clocks are running late
Paint by numbers morning sky
Looks so phony

Dawn is breaking everywhere
Light a candle, curse the glare
Draw the curtains, I don't care
'Cause it's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

I see you got your list out
Say your piece and get out
Yes I got the gist of it
But it's alright

Sorry that you feel that way
The only thing there is to say
Every silver lining's got a
Touch of grey

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

It's a lesson to me
The Ables and the Bakers and the C's
The ABC's
We all must face
And try to keep a little grace

It's a lesson to me
The Deltas and the East and the Freeze
The ABC's
We all think of
And try to keep a little love

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright

Cows are giving kerosene
The kid can't read at seventeen
The words he knows are all obscene
But it's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

The shoe is on the hand it fits
There's really nothing much to it
Whistle through your teeth and spit
'Cause it's alright

Oh well a touch of grey
Kind of suits you anyway
That was all I had to say
It's alright

I will get by
I will get by
I will get by
I will survive

We will get by
We will get by
We will get by
We will survive

We will get by
We will get by
We will get by
We will survive

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #274 - Sep 24th, 2019 at 6:12pm

Fare you well, Mr. Hunter. We love you more than words can tell...

For a man who provided us with so many meaningful words, the soundtrack to our lives, he's left us a bit speechless with his passing. For more than 50 years, since his first lyrical contributions to the Grateful Dead in 1967, Robert Hunter has been just as integral a part of the legacy of the Grateful Dead as those who recorded the music to accompany his words, those who walked out on stage to bring his words to life. More than 2,000 times 1967-1995, these six (or five or seven) proud walkers on the jingle bell rainbow, plus countless thousands of times since then by other performers, the Grateful Dead have brought Hunter's words to life in front of all of us as their witness. Not a single day has gone by since 1984 that Hunter's words haven't been a part of my world; I've heard Jerry, Bob and others sing his words literally every day for the past 35 years.

When the final Fare Thee Well show ended in Chicago in 2015, Mickey Hart famously sent us on our way by asking us to "please, be kind," and that lesson along with its lyrical brethren written by Hunter, "ain't no time to hate," and "are you kind?" are some of the truest words to live by. No matter what meaning, solace, lesson you find in Hunter's lyrics, please go out and do some good with them.

David Lemieux

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)