Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 178,737 times)
gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: RIP Peter Tork
Reply #225 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 5:10pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
RIP Mr Tork...never a Monkees fan but they (and Neil Diamond) had some good pop songs.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #226 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 7:37pm
Great 60s pop, no matter howe you look at it.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Sailor
Rocks Off Regular

You nicked my phone

Buenos Aires
Reply #227 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 8:01pm
May he rest in peace. His music will never die.

Hannah honey was a peachy kinda girl...her eyes were hazel and her nose was slightly curved

IP Logged

Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #228 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 8:10pm
RIP Peter, I already mentioned that when I was a kid the Monkees were big, and I was a 10 YO kid when they started, they have a TV series, a comic magazine and records, I had some of my first Picture sleeves singles by them. I felt I was groovy LOL one day my older brother and some of his friends when to my house and they said something like “Come on, do you have records of the Monkees? they are bull shit” then I started to listen to my brothers albums and discovered the difference, then I started to listen psychedelic music, blues and classic rock instead of that bubble gum and sunshine commercial pop.

Again RIP Peter

Some facts: The Jimi Hendrix Experience was their opening act in a tour and they interacted with the Beatles and Frank Zappa

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #229 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 8:13pm
my wife thought you were the cutest. thanks for the memories

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #230 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:14am

RIP Peter.
Responsible for many smiles...

BTW...Good friends with Stephen Stills (Stills was offered and passed on the part of Pete and referred Tork)

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #231 - Feb 22nd, 2019 at 8:35pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:14am:
BTW...Good friends with Stephen Stills (Stills was offered and passed on the part of Pete and referred Tork)

Actually, the producers rejected Stills because of his teeth or something like that. When he got rejected, he let Peter know about it.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #232 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 8:46pm
Paranoid Android wrote on Feb 22nd, 2019 at 9:14am:

RIP Peter.
Responsible for many smiles...

Jeez, I haven't heard this since I was 12 years old and AM radio was about to be defeated by FM.  It's so manufactured that it calls 3/4 of The California Sound into question, including Love, Buffalo Springfield, and CSNY.  2:29 of this kind of work invites its own backlash.  Sadly, I love it and miss it.
« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2019 at 8:54pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #233 - Feb 23rd, 2019 at 9:26pm
fleabit peanut monkey?

LOL I watched this video from the forst article (Rolling Stone link above) and found that Peter looks like our veruy own fleabit peanut monkey

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #234 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 3:29am
And now mark hollis from talk talk… only 64.....

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #235 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:49pm
RIP Hal Blaine
February 5, 1929 – March 11, 2019
One Of The Greatest Drummers of our Time!

« Last Edit: Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:55pm by Kilroy »  

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #236 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 10:00pm
Too bad

Just in time some days ago Charlie Watts recorded for a documentary for Hal

http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1549487741

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #237 - Mar 11th, 2019 at 10:15pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 10:00pm:
Too bad

Just in time some days ago Charlie Watts recorded for a documentary for Hal

http://rocksoff.org/cgi-bin/messageboard/YaBB.pl?num=1549487741

Thanks Voodoo, I couldn't remember where I came across
The Video on Hal's Drums. I should have figured it was here and You! Rocks Off Rules! I love this place!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #238 - Mar 14th, 2019 at 4:13pm
you made the world a better sounding place thanks for all that magic!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #239 - Mar 17th, 2019 at 6:58pm
Dick Dale, king of surf guitar, dead at 81

by Jared Leone, Cox Media Group National Content Desk, NCD

Dick Dale, whose airy guitar licks became the foundation of the surf rock genre, died Saturday at 81.

Sam Bolle, a bassist who performed with Dale, confirmed his death to The Guardian. Dale suffered from various health issues. His cause of death was not released.
Dale’s 1962 hit "Miserlou" re-found fame decades later as the opening credit song for the movie "Pulp Fiction."

His 1961 single "Let’s Go Trippin’" is considered the first instrumental surf rock song.
Dale’s distinct playing style led to his unique sound. It also led to his work helping Leo Fender design the Stratocaster guitar.
"(Fender) used to say: ‘When it can withstand the barrage of punishment from Dick Dale, then it is fit for the human consumption.’ So I blew up over 50 amplifiers. And that’s why they call me the Father of Heavy Metal," Dale told the Miami New Times in 2011.

Dale stopped performing in the mid 1970s but was playing again by the 1980s and continued touring into the 21st century. Although he had health insurance, it did not provide coverage to pay to replenish supplies to keep his stoma infection-free, BIllboard reported in 2015. Dale suffered from Diabetes and had post-cancer treatments.
"I can’t stop touring because I will die. Physically and literally, I will die," Dale said.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/8d57f9c4-4900-11e9-9141-e7c0f39f42a...

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2019 at 5:26am by Edith Grove »  

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #240 - Mar 18th, 2019 at 2:41pm
Kilroy wrote on Mar 11th, 2019 at 9:49pm:
RIP Hal Blaine
February 5, 1929 – March 11, 2019
One Of The Greatest Drummers of our Time!

Watts, who took part in an L.A. event celebrating Blaine’s 90th birthday last month, issued a statement that reads, “Godspeed Hal. He gave us all so much. Feeling very blessed to have celebrated his life with him.”

Brian Wilson, Ringo Starr, Charlie Watts among stars paying tribute to legendary drummer Hal Blaine

http://rock107.com/brian-wilson-ringo-starr-charlie-watts-among-stars-paying-tri...

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #241 - Mar 19th, 2019 at 1:22pm

Edith Grove wrote on Mar 17th, 2019 at 6:58pm:
Dick Dale, king of surf guitar, dead at 81

by Jared Leone, Cox Media Group National Content Desk, NCD

Dick Dale, whose airy guitar licks became the foundation of the surf rock genre, died Saturday at 81.

Sam Bolle, a bassist who performed with Dale, confirmed his death to The Guardian. Dale suffered from various health issues. His cause of death was not released.
Dale’s 1962 hit "Miserlou" re-found fame decades later as the opening credit song for the movie "Pulp Fiction."

His 1961 single "Let’s Go Trippin’" is considered the first instrumental surf rock song.
Dale’s distinct playing style led to his unique sound. It also led to his work helping Leo Fender design the Stratocaster guitar.
"(Fender) used to say: ‘When it can withstand the barrage of punishment from Dick Dale, then it is fit for the human consumption.’ So I blew up over 50 amplifiers. And that’s why they call me the Father of Heavy Metal," Dale told the Miami New Times in 2011.

Dale stopped performing in the mid 1970s but was playing again by the 1980s and continued touring into the 21st century. Although he had health insurance, it did not provide coverage to pay to replenish supplies to keep his stoma infection-free, BIllboard reported in 2015. Dale suffered from Diabetes and had post-cancer treatments.
"I can’t stop touring because I will die. Physically and literally, I will die," Dale said.

http://myconnection.cox.com/article/trending/8d57f9c4-4900-11e9-9141-e7c0f39f42a...

caught hiim live a couple of times. dude was a force of nature. rip kahuna

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #242 - Mar 22nd, 2019 at 11:06am
Starting now and for the next hour a webradio tribute to Dick Dale

https://ibero909.fm/playlist-9091

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #243 - Apr 1st, 2019 at 4:08pm
Mexican rock musician appears to kill himself after #MeToo claim

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2019/apr/1/armando-vega-gil-botellita-de-je...

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #244 - May 1st, 2019 at 5:33am
Russ Gibb — Detroit rock visionary, schoolteacher and 'Paul is dead' prankster — dies at 87

https://www.freep.com/story/entertainment/music/brian-mccollum/2019/04/30/russ-g...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #245 - May 30th, 2019 at 6:08am
Minnesota blues hero Tony Glover, an influence on Dylan and the Stones, dies at 79

After his '60s trio Koerner, Ray & Glover, the harmonica blower went on to become an esteemed music writer and radio host but was still often called on stage by Patti Smith, Beck and others.

By Chris Riemenschneider Star Tribune  MAY 30, 2019

He was the harmonica player Mick Jagger enlisted for a lesson, and the Doors, Patti Smith and Beck all invited on stage to perform with them in Minneapolis; the Minnesota music hero honored by both Bob Dylan and the Replacements in concerts at St. Paul’s Midway Stadium; the writer and musicologist who penned blues tomes, magazine articles and Dylan liner notes.

To the close friends and family mourning Tony Glover this week, he was also just an ultracool, storied but laid-back guy they relished hanging around.

Glover died Wednesday afternoon of natural causes after being hospitalized since May 13. He was 79.

Using the bluesman pseudonym “Little Sun,” Glover made his earliest and best-known mark on music in the early-1960s acoustic blues and folk group Koerner, Ray & Glover. The trio’s three albums for Elektra Records — especially their 1963 debut “Blues, Rags & Hollers” — were cited by the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Doors, Bonnie Raitt and many more as an influence on their music.

In a 2002 interview shortly before his longtime bandmate Dave “Snaker” Ray lost his cancer battle, Glover said, “Ragged but right; that’s what we always aimed for.”

A Minneapolis native who grew up loving Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson and Leadbelly alongside Ray (his classmate at University High School in Dinkytown), Glover became emblematic of the white kids whose reverence of African-American blues musicians shaped rock music through much of the 1960s.

“If three white kids from the Midwest could make a record that sounds that black and deep and soulful, that really was inspirational,” Rolling Stone’s esteemed senior editor David Fricke told the Star Tribune. “It became a foundation for so much of what came after it.”

Glover and Ray continued to perform and record together up through Ray’s passing. In the 1980s they opened for the likes of B.B. King and John Lee Hooker and kept a house gig at the 400 Bar that brought new life to Minneapolis’ old West Bank music scene. Another mainstay of that scene and era, Willie Murphy, died in January.

In the 1990s, Ray and Glover recorded albums for the hip indie-rock labels Rough Trade and Tim/Kerr and were championed by younger trendsetters like Lucinda Williams and Beck, each of whom asked them to perform at their early First Avenue concerts.

The duo would also intermittently rejoin with Spider John Koerner, now the sole survivor of their legendary trio. Koerner is currently traveling abroad but checked in back home to hear the sad news.

Glover’s reputation among other musicians and musicheads extended well past his own musicianship.

He brought a hip veneer to top 40 radio station KDWB as a late-night host in the late-’60s, for which he landed interviews with Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton and Pete Townshend when they performed in Minneapolis. He also wrote articles for Rolling Stone, Creem and Crawdaddy magazines in the 1960s and ’70s that helped prototype rock journalism.

Glover also became a leading commentator on the music of Dylan, whom he first met as a University of Minnesota “student” and later hung out with in New York, including a trip together to visit a hospitalized Woody Guthrie in 1963. He penned liner notes for the landmark Dylan concert recording “Live 1966: The ‘Royal Albert Hall’ Concerts” and is featured throughout Martin Scorsese’s definitive Dylan docuseries “No Direction Home.”

Dylan, in turn, wrote of “One Foot in the Grave,” a 1996 Koerner, Ray & Glover album, “Exactly like you’d think it would be, stunning. Every time they play the lights shine.”

During a Midway Stadium concert in 2005 — not far from the house where Glover and his wife lived in St. Paul — Dylan mumbled a shout-out to his old friend on stage and visited with him backstage. A decade later in the same stadium, Paul Westerberg invited Glover to play harmonica in Jimmy Reed’s “Going to New York” during the Replacements’ lone hometown reunion concert.

While he also took on the arduous task of learning to play sitar during a brief relocation to Berkeley, Calif., Glover was steadfast about blues harmonica. That led to him writing three instructional books and co-authoring a 2002 biography of blues music’s most revered harp blower, “Blues With a Feeling: The Little Walter Story.”

His writing duties also included more liner notes for albums by John Lee Hooker, John Hammond, Lazy Bill Lucas, Willie & the Bees, the Jayhawks and many more.

After Ray’s death, Glover kept up appearances on Twin Cities stages with a new trio, V3, featuring Galen Michaelson and Jon Rodine. He also reiterated his folkier side in a Woody Guthrie tribute show that also starred Charlie Maguire and Pops Wagner.

Glover and Koerner sporadically performed together again during the late-’00s, including a semiregular return to the West Bank gig that led to the 2009 album “Koerner & Glover: Live at the 400 Bar.”

Looking back on his 40- to 50-year relationship with his Koerner, Ray & Glover bandmates in 2002, the blues stalwart said their connection was more about a love for the music than it was friendship.

“I can probably count on one hand the number of times we’ve gotten together socially, where it wasn’t related to a gig or something work-related,” Glover said. The upside to that, he added, “is that when we do get together, it’s always fun. That may be part of our chemistry.”

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-blues-hero-tony-glover-an-influence-on-dyla...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #246 - May 30th, 2019 at 9:24am
I gotta admit, never heard about him, so I searched and looks like a cool cat. He released two albums in 1963 and 1965

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #247 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:42pm
RIP Roky Erickson, 1947 - 2019... from the The 13th Floor Elevators, a sike-ay-delic band from Austin, Texas. Love their sound, get high and listen in his memory

Anybody remember this band?

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/31/728821278/roky-erickson-of-the-13th-floor-elevato...

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/roky-erickson-psychedelic-rock-icon-with-...
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2019 at 5:59pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #248 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:59pm

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #249 - Jun 1st, 2019 at 5:46pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Jun 1st, 2019 at 1:42pm:
RIP Roky Erickson, 1947 - 2019... from the The 13th Floor Elevators, a sike-ay-delic band from Austin, Texas. Love their sound, get high and listen in his memory

Anybody remember this band?

https://www.npr.org/2019/05/31/728821278/roky-erickson-of-the-13th-floor-elevato...

https://datebook.sfchronicle.com/music/roky-erickson-psychedelic-rock-icon-with-
the-13th-floor-elevators-dies-at-71

of course!! pyschedelic warrior.was lucky enough to have seen him perform about a dozen years back in battery park. true legend. rest in peace

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)