Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print
The rock related Obituary Thread (Read 178,744 times)
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland
Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Re: The rock related Obituary Thread
Reply #150 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:41pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
RIP JOHN PERRY BARLOW (1947 - 2018)

We forgot about the time: Fare thee well, John Perry Barlow
http://buffalonews.com/2018/02/13/we-forgot-about-the-time-fare-thee-well-john-p...

John Perry Barlow’s Last Words
https://whowhatwhy.org/2018/02/13/john-perry-barlows-last-words/

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
WWW gerardo.liedo rocksoffmessageboard  
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #151 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:43pm
Phil Lesh, Eric Krasno, & Terrapin Family Band Offer Heartfelt John Perry Barlow Tribute [Full Show Video]
Ming Lee Newcomb  | Saturday, February 10th, 2018

I only get my rocks off while I'm sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeping with your girlfriend!!
IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #152 - Feb 13th, 2018 at 9:46pm
Set 2

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #153 - Mar 7th, 2018 at 8:45am

Tribute to Mark E Smith painted on side of hill monument

White Nancy, which sits at the top of Kerridge Hill, has been decorated with the face of The Fall singer Mark E Smith

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/tribute-mark-e-smith-painted-14378394

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #154 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 4:26pm
Nokie Edwards, the Ventures' Lead Guitarist, Dead at 82

GAB Archive/Getty Images

Nokie Edwards, whose guitar playing in the Ventures helped define surf rock and earned the group a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, died on Monday. He was 82 years old.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/nokie-edwards-the-ventures-lead-guitaris...

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #155 - Mar 14th, 2018 at 5:31pm

The also helped bring the advent of Hip-Hop/Rap even closer when they released their own version of Apache

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #156 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:17am
A Little late here with this....

RIP Skip Prokop (1943-2017)

He was the drummer of the GREAT Canadian band Lighthouse... listening while writing

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #157 - Mar 30th, 2018 at 12:46pm
Voodoo Chile in Wonderland wrote on Mar 30th, 2018 at 11:17am:
A Little late here with this....

RIP Skip Prokop (1943-2017)

He was the drummer of the GREAT Canadian band Lighthouse... listening while writing

Damn they used to play at our high school concerts.....in Canada late 60's

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #158 - Apr 6th, 2018 at 6:27pm
Cecil Taylor, Jazz Icon Of The Avant-Garde, Dies At 89

RIP Cecil Taylor 1929 - 2018
April 6, 2018·9:51 AM ET 

IP Logged

MrPleasant
Rocks Off Regular

Xalapa, Veracruz, México
Reply #159 - Apr 14th, 2018 at 9:27am
April 14, 2018 12:38AM PT
Milos Forman, Oscar-Winning Director of ‘One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest,’ Dies at 86
By Richard Natale and Carmel Dagan      

Czech-born director Milos Forman, who won best directing Oscars for “One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest” and “Amadeus,” has died. He was 86.

Forman died Friday in the U.S. after a brief illness, his wife, Martina, told the Czech news agency CTK. She said that “his departure was calm, and he was surrounded the whole time by his family and his closest friends.”

Having made just one American film at the time, the ironic comedy “Taking Off” (1971), which won critical acclaim but failed to connect with audiences, Forman seemed an unlikely choice to direct the adaptation of Ken Kesey’s countercultural novel “Cuckoo’s Nest.” But he brought a balance and objectivity to the film, which could easily have descended into histrionics. The critically lauded and immensely popular film starring the fast-rising Jack Nicholson struck a nerve in 1975, and on Academy Awards night it became the first film since 1934’s “It Happened One Night” to sweep the top five Oscar prizes: best picture, director, actress, actor and screenplay (adapted).

To shoot “Amadeus,” Forman returned to his native Czechoslovakia in 1983 and used little-known theater actors to play Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart (Thomas Hulce) and his rival Antonio Salieri (F. Murray Abraham), Forman created a compelling and cogent adaptation of Peter Shaffer’s award-winning stage play — helped in great measure by the magnificent Mozartian score. Again, Forman ruled the Oscars, taking another director trophy as the film also drew awards for picture, actor (Abraham), and screenplay, winning eight awards in all. The film was also his most financially successful after “Cuckoo’s Nest.”

With a style that film historian David Thomson said stressed the everyday over the melodramatic and a flair for improvisation, Forman had flourished as a young director in Czechoslovakia with such satirical films as 1966’s “Loves of a Blonde” and 1968’s “The Firemen’s Ball,” the latter of which was refused a showing in his native country because of its satire of bureaucratic thinking.

Forman was in Paris in August 1968 when Russian tanks rolled into Czechoslovakia, ending the Warsaw Pact country’s brief artistic renaissance. Soon thereafter he moved to New York, joining another celebrated Czech director, Ivan Passer, who had penned “Loves of a Blonde” with Forman and others. Forman’s first U.S. film, “Taking Off,” was similar in approach and style to his earlier work, and while it was praised by critics, it did little to establish him as an American director. He also took on “The Decathlon” episode of “Visions of Eight,” a compilation documentary of the Olympics by an octet of different helmers.

Over the years Forman directed few films, and his American track record was mixed. Though “Cuckoo’s Nest” transformed him into an A-list director, he waited four years before his next film, tackling another challenging piece of material, “Hair,” based on the ’60s smash hit musical. But 10 years later, the episodic piece seemed passe onscreen, and Forman’s simple approach was ill-suited for the musical material. He did better with 1981’s “Ragtime,” a mostly successful adaptation of E.L. Doctorow’s bestseller centered on intersecting lives in the early 20th century. The film did not score at the box office, however.

He attained commercial and critical success once more with “Amadeus” but never quite scaled those heights again.

Forman appeared next in 1989 with “Valmont,” an adaptation he co-penned of the French period novel “Les Liaisons dangereuses” starring Colin Firth and Annette Bening. While graceful and witty, the film suffered from comparison to the more melodramatic “Dangerous Liaisons,” released the previous year and starring John Malkovich and Glenn Close.

He didn’t direct again until he issued two other satirical pieces in the late ’90s, the first of which was “The People vs. Larry Flynt,” a well-reviewed comedy about the First Amendment controversy stirred up by Hustler publisher Larry Flynt, embodied in the film by Woody Harrelson. While reviews were strong, the film did only moderately well at the box office. But it brought Forman another director nomination in 1996. The reception to his 1999 film “Man on the Moon,” about the offbeat comic Andy Kaufman, was mixed, though lead Jim Carrey pulled in great notices. Again, audiences seemed indifferent to the subject matter.

After an absence of seven years, Forman returned in 2006 with “Goya’s Ghosts,” in which he sought to wed the Inquisition, the life of the painter Goya and the Napoleonic Wars. Implausibilities frustrated critics, but Forman did pull an affecting performance from Natalie Portman, if not from Javier Bardem, Stellan Skarsgard or Randy Quaid as the king of Spain.

In 2009 Forman directed, with his son Petr, the Czech-language “A Walk Worthwhile,” a remake of his earlier 1966 work for Czech television.

Forman collaborated with Vaclav Havel on the adaptation of a novel about the Munich Agreement, through which Hitler annexed Czechoslovakia’s Sudentenland in 1938, but the project did not come to fruition. He also had in development as a directing project the story of Charles Ponzi, the early 20th century fraudster who lends his name to the Ponzi scheme.

In addition to his directing chores, Forman was co-director of the film program at Columbia U. and appeared as an actor in such films as “Keeping the Faith,” “Heartburn” and “New Year’s Day.”

Born in the town of Caslav (also spelled Kaslov), near Prague, Jan Tomas Forman was raised by an uncle and in foster homes following the death of his parents in WWII concentration camps. After graduating from the Prague Film Faculty of the Academy of Dramatic Arts in 1957, he wrote sketches for the mixed media Laterna Magika, which was celebrated at the 1958 World’s Fair in Brussels. After departing the group in 1961, he was hired by the Czech state film studio, where he came to attention with two medium-length films, 1961’s “The Talent Competition” and “If There Were No Music.” His feature debut in 1963, “Black Peter,” won the top prize at the Locarno Film Festival and led to such internationally acclaimed efforts as “Loves of a Blonde” and “The Fireman’s Ball.”

Forman was jury president at the Cannes Film Festival in 1985 and the Venice Film Festival in 2000.

In Czechoslovakia Forman was married twice, first to actress Jana Brejchova (his lead actress in “Loves of a Blonde”) and then to Vera Kresadlova, who was the mother of his twin sons Peter and Matej. In 1998 he had another set of twins, Andrew and James, by his third wife, Martina Zborilova.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/milos-forman-dead-dies-director-one-flew-over
-the-cuckoos-nest-1202753397/

IP Logged

Starbuck
Rocks Off Regular

Postito, Ergo Sum.

Minneapolis, MN
Reply #160 - Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:33pm
Not rock, but R Lee Ermey has passed away.

"Why would any sane person want to leave Rocks Off? If you have an issue outside of Rocks Off, handle it. When you return it will be as if you never have left. Once you are here-it's expected you stay. Why waste long cultivated posting skills somewhere else? The outside world will not understand." -Nellie

“You assclowns are destroying this nation.” –Riffy

"You can lead a horse to the facts, but you can't make the horse understand the facts if he's a dumbfuck horse stuck on stupid." - Riffy

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #161 - Apr 16th, 2018 at 5:47am
Starbuck wrote on Apr 15th, 2018 at 10:33pm:
Not rock, but R Lee Ermey has passed away.

Vietnam veteran and a great guy:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2018/04/16/602756607/r-lee-ermey-full-me...

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #162 - Apr 24th, 2018 at 5:04pm

RIP Bob Dorough 1923 - 2018

'Schoolhouse Rock' composer and musician Bob Dorough dies at 94

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2018/04/24/schoolhouse-rock-composer-and-...

A song by him "Comin' Home, Baby" appears in the "new" CD+3-DVDs set "Kings of Rhythm, Vol. 4: Race With the Devil" by Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings released last year

He was "touring" last year!!!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #163 - Apr 26th, 2018 at 5:11pm
Charles Neville, smiling saxophonist of the Neville Brothers, dies at 79

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2018/04/charles_neville_smiling_saxoph.html
« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2018 at 5:12pm by Edith Grove »  

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #164 - May 15th, 2018 at 5:04pm

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #165 - May 15th, 2018 at 5:22pm
ABsolutely rock related mojo...

I read one of his book "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" I still have it a cpuple of years ago I started a second read, I have it in Spanish Spanish (I mean spanisg from spain) I want it in English, directly from Tom to Voodoo

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #166 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 4:02pm

IP Logged

gorda
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

I'm heart broken . . .
Reply #167 - Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:46pm
I don't know if any of y'all remember that besides being in love with Sir Mick Jagger, I used to have a crush on Anthony Bourdain from the Travel Channel.  I stopped following his career when he moved to CNN.  Still, I was a fan.  I even bought a used copy of his book Kitchen Confidential. I'm crushed because he ended his life this morning!  So, so sad!  He was only 61!  May he rest in peace!
🌹
« Last Edit: Jun 8th, 2018 at 7:54pm by Voodoo Chile in Wonderland »  

IP Logged

Egon
Rocks Off Regular

LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLLING
STONES

A Dutchy in Marseille, France
Reply #168 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 2:12am
Bastards & Bitches!

Let the Good times Rolling Stones! - Proud member of Rocks off since 2001 ...

IP Logged

robpop
Rocks Off Regular

My name is called disturbance!

City of Champions
Reply #169 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 4:23am
Mental illness sucks, but it can be treated.  Reach out with compassion not with hostility.

...&&&&...

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #170 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 11:31am
Danny Kirwan, the former Fleetwood Mac guitarist who played on five of the British band's albums, died Friday at the age of 68.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/former-fleetwood-mac-guitarist-danny-kir...

Mick Fleetwood, who recruited the then-18-year-old Kirwan to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, confirmed Kirwan's death with a tribute on the band's Facebook. No cause of death was announced.

"Today was greeted by the sad news of the passing of Danny Kirwan in London, England. Danny was a huge force in our early years. His love for the Blues led him to being asked to join Fleetwood Mac in 1968, where he made his musical home for many years," Fleetwood wrote.

"Danny's true legacy, in my mind, will forever live on in the music he wrote and played so beautifully as a part of the foundation of Fleetwood Mac, that has now endured for over fifty years. Thank you, Danny Kirwan. You will forever be missed!"

Kirwan joined Fleetwood Mac following the release of 1968's Mr. Wonderful – his first appearance with the band was their Number One single "Albatross" – and would record five albums with the band while serving as guitarist and singer: 1969's Then Play On (the band's last Peter Green album) and Blues Jam at Chess, 1970's Kiln House (the first Mac album to feature Christine McVie), 1971's Future Games and 1972's Bare Trees.

Due to his alcoholism, Kirwan was fired from Fleetwood Mac during the tour in support of Bare Trees in 1972. Over the second half of the Seventies, Kirwan released four solo albums. However, Kirwan's next few decades were reportedly marred by bouts of mental health issues and homelessness.

"I've been through a bit of a rough patch but I'm not too bad," Kirwan told the Independent in a rare interview in 1993, after Mick Fleetwood asked the Missing Person Bureau to seek out his former guitarist. "I get by and I suppose I am homeless, but then I've never really had a home since our early days on tour. I couldn't handle it all mentally and I had to get out. I can't settle."

For his contributions to Fleetwood Mac, Kirwan was among the eight members of the band – along with Stevie Nicks, Lindsey Buckingham, Mick Fleetwood, Peter Green, John McVie, Christine McVie and Jeremy Spencer – that were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1998; Kirwan did not attend the induction ceremony.

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #171 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 6:55pm
RIP Danny!

Here the solos by Danny

Well... this is not with Danny but "ooooooh yeaaaaaah"

Danny

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #172 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:43pm

IP Logged

mojoman
Rocks Off Regular

HMERLS

joyzee
Reply #173 - Jun 9th, 2018 at 7:55pm
those five lps what a run. thank you mr kirwan

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity Admin

The Stones are back you
bastards!!!!

Wonderland
Reply #174 - Jun 10th, 2018 at 2:01pm
Can't believe he was homeless at the end while his bandmates are millionaires

Rock rules but pop pays

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 32
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)