Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Blue & Lonesome - Released Dec. 2, 2016 - Your Verdict (Read 56,836 times)
Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Re: Blue & Lonesome - Released Dec. 2, 2016 - Your Verdict
Reply #75 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:23pm
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Ah, but that was a ROCK version of a blues song (and a classic version too)

But THIS remains the only ever blues single to top the UK charts - in fact, probably ANY singles chart anywhere in the world....

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #76 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:49pm
Blue and Lonesome is out of this world. I'm listening to it daily, multiple times.

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #77 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:56pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 9th, 2016 at 7:49pm:
Blue and Lonesome is out of this world. I'm listening to it daily, multiple times.

yes, it is fun.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #78 - Dec 9th, 2016 at 9:51pm
Commit A Crime is on a endless loop in my head.

The record is epic.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #79 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 1:03am
You would think anyone with the success of the album on the charts would take advantage of it, push it, and play some gigs that no one would expect. Throw in a few shows at the Albert Hall with 1-2 special guests, another trip back to the Paradiso, something at Buddy Guy's, have Jerry Portnoy or Charlie Musslewhite join them, the possibilities are endless . . . the chances are zero.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #80 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:02am
Just be happy there's a new album. And it's not like Mick doesn't have a newborn or anything.

IP Logged

The Wick
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #81 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:01am
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:02am:
Just be happy there's a new album. And it's not like Mick doesn't have a newborn or anything.

That's my point. They really should take advantage of the momentum but they have a recent track record of not doing so. If you don't give new songs live run outs, the momentum ceases and the momentum dies.

Good point on the baby though.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #82 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 10:11am
Japanese SHM CD available today on D****oid in lossless Flac.  Hopefully a sonic improvement.  That's not impossible, given the state of western CD mastering.  On the basis of other SHM discs, recommended to buyers.

UPDATE: Japanese SHM CD is not brickwalled.
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 2:36pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #83 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:39pm
Andrews, what kind of audio system do you have?

The vinyl and CD sound great on my mainly analog rig.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #84 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 8:47pm
Steel Wheels wrote on Dec 10th, 2016 at 6:39pm:
Andrews, what kind of audio system do you have?

The vinyl and CD sound great on my mainly analog rig.

Since you ask, I own the top of the line Adcom analog pre-amp, power amp, and tuner from c. 1997 (555 series), which have held up very well and have good, colorless sound, unless I choose to use the tone controls, like on bootlegs.  I have the top Music Hall CD player from about five years ago.  I use a VPI Scout turntable with an Audio-Technica LC-155 moving magnet cartridge, vintage 1989 but still a 20 to 20khz contender, with all the money I invested in buying up new-old-stock styli.  (I will never go to moving coil in cartridges.)  All patched together with Audioquest Diamondback cable, plus Audioquest speaker cable that I don't feel like checking the name of tonight.  My speakers are DeVore Fidelity 0/93 Orangutans, my most recent and most expensive investment.

I am not completely up to date, and I don't want to be.  But compared to most, I am the hoochie-coochie man, so don't you mess with me.  I got seven hundred dollahs!

When I say that Blue & Lonesome sounds like shit on the brickwalled US CD, and sounds less constrained and more listenable on the non-brickwalled Japanese SHM CD, made of superior polycarbonate, and mastered by engineers who have proved on past re-releases (Bowie, post-ABKCO Stones, Elton John, especially Stevie Wonder compared to those trash Motown CDs) to produce a superior transfer than western models, you bes' nevah doubt!

I'm here ta school y'alls - buy it on SHM CD.  Buy everything you can on SHM CD.  Download some and hear the difference.  Go to D****oid and grab that SHM Blue & Lonesome for comparison.  I hope I live long enough to hear the ABKCO Stones catalog upgraded to SHM CD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_High_Material_CD
« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:19pm by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

Reply #85 - Dec 10th, 2016 at 9:26pm
Not a bad audio system.

CD Japan has been on my radar for some time now for the SHM CD versions of things but I haven't pulled the trigger for one reason or another. Crosseyed Heart is available as well as Blue and Lonesome on that format, so I may have to do it.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #86 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:00am
Seriously - go get the Blue & Lonesome SHM that's on D****oid, burn it to CD-R, and A-B it with the US CD.  When I load both rips into Winamp on my computer, I can see on the display meter that the SHM is not brickwalled, while the US is brickwalled and loud to the max, which is bad medicine for this record.

I can't afford everything.  All my SHM's are rips posted on the internet - and I'm thankful to get stuff of superior quality however I can.  Though I have Emotional Rescue on the original 1980s vinyl, I ran across the Virgin CD remaster at a public library, and checked it out to play in my car.  It played well at home, so I burned a copy to CD-R and enjoyed it a few times, congratulating Virgin on getting one Stones CD right.  Then a couple of months later I saw the SHM disc on the net and grabbed it.  It was obvious even on the computer speakers that this was the superior version, and on the "big stereo" rig I could hear distortion on the brickwalled Virgin CD that hadn't bothered me until I heard the SHM.  (Like I said, this was one of the better Virgin CDs, so slack was cut at the time.)

It isn't just that the SHM CDs are made of better material.  In Japan, they've built up an audiophile culture since the 1970s that goes from top to bottom of the buying chain, and Japanese engineers aren't preoccupied with only delivering volume.  They remix and master to CD more faithfully to the sound of the original vinyl recording.  I think it's because the Japanese actually care about their work, care about fidelity to the originals, and maybe despise the sound of western CD mastering.  I don't blame them. 

If you own it all (or almost all) on vinyl, it's great to have digital remasters that sound like the analog originals and don't suck.  SHMs are more bankable than expensive Mobile Fidelity remasters on "gold" CDs, because Mo-Fi's trademark is to up the bass and treble while suppressing the midrange, which is just a more tasteful American infidelity. 

I have no idea why western record companies disrespect their customers so - it's now gone beyond the need to cater to younger listeners discovering the back catalog, and into a darker sort of cynicism.  To boot, they created that whole culture of noise by pushing brickwalled CDs and lossy .mp3 sound on the masses, selling AM radio-quality sound to a new generation, through tiny, portable radio-quality earphones.  And if you want an upgrade, you can buy a pair of Beats (the Mo-Fi of headphones) and go deaf listening to bad mastering.

I've downloaded a lot, and all the bad CDs I paid for is the reason for it.  I think that's the rationale for a lot of people: why pay for shit product when you can get it - or something better - for free?  Wait, somebody's at the door....

P.S. - Crosseyed Heart is actually mastered acceptably on US CD, though I could always be surprised by an SHM upgrade.  If Blue & Lonesome sounded as good, we'd have been blessed.  The poster on this thread who said we should just wait a year for the remaster really nailed the culture.

P.P.S. - Google up the Analog Planet website.  It'll give you a history of the misdeeds of digital mastering, mostly on vinyl but with many references to CD mastering and remastering.
« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:44am by andrews27 »  

IP Logged

sebi
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Reply #87 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:55am
andrews27 wrote on Dec 11th, 2016 at 11:00am:
Seriously - go get the Blue & Lonesome SHM that's on D****oid, burn it to CD-R, and A-B it with the US CD.  When I load both rips into Winamp on my computer, I can see on the display meter that the SHM is not brickwalled, while the US is brickwalled and loud to the max, which is bad medicine for this record.

I can't afford everything.  All my SHM's are rips posted on the internet - and I'm thankful to get stuff of superior quality however I can.  Though I have Emotional Rescue on the original 1980s vinyl, I ran across the Virgin CD remaster at a public library, and checked it out to play in my car.  It played well at home, so I burned a copy to CD-R and enjoyed it a few times, congratulating Virgin on getting one Stones CD right.  Then a couple of months later I saw the SHM disc on the net and grabbed it.  It was obvious even on the computer speakers that this was the superior version, and on the "big stereo" rig I could hear distortion on the brickwalled Virgin CD that hadn't bothered me until I heard the SHM.  (Like I said, this was one of the better Virgin CDs, so slack was cut at the time.)

It isn't just that the SHM CDs are made of better material.  In Japan, they've built up an audiophile culture since the 1970s that goes from top to bottom of the buying chain, and Japanese engineers aren't preoccupied with only delivering volume.  They remix and master to CD more faithfully to the sound of the original vinyl recording.  I think it's because the Japanese actually care about their work, care about fidelity to the originals, and maybe despise the sound of western CD mastering.  I don't blame them. 

If you own it all (or almost all) on vinyl, it's great to have digital remasters that sound like the analog originals and don't suck.  SHMs are more bankable than expensive Mobile Fidelity remasters on "gold" CDs, because Mo-Fi's trademark is to up the bass and treble while suppressing the midrange, which is just a more tasteful American infidelity. 

I have no idea why western record companies disrespect their customers so - it's now gone beyond the need to cater to younger listeners discovering the back catalog, and into a darker sort of cynicism.  To boot, they created that whole culture of noise by pushing brickwalled CDs and lossy .mp3 sound on the masses, selling AM radio-quality sound to a new generation, through tiny, portable radio-quality earphones.  And if you want an upgrade, you can buy a pair of Beats (the Mo-Fi of headphones) and go deaf listening to bad mastering.

I've downloaded a lot, and all the bad CDs I paid for is the reason for it.  I think that's the rationale for a lot of people: why pay for shit product when you can get it - or something better - for free?  Wait, somebody's at the door....

P.S. - Crosseyed Heart is actually mastered acceptably on US CD, though I could always be surprised by an SHM upgrade.  If Blue & Lonesome sounded as good, we'd have been blessed.  The poster on this thread who said we should just wait a year for the remaster really nailed the culture.

P.P.S. - Google up the Analog Planet website.  It'll give you a history of the misdeeds of digital mastering, mostly on vinyl but with many references to CD mastering and remastering.

Has anyone heard the high resolution download from hd tracks or Qobuz & compared it to the normal cd?

IP Logged

Paranoid Android
Rocks Off Regular

The Rocks Off Ladies Rule
You Bastards!!

Chapel Hill, NC
Reply #88 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 1:53pm
Tom wrote on Nov 29th, 2016 at 3:27pm:
About the original question I read somewhere that intentionally they used old equipment to record and give the album the sound of the 50s

I didnt read that...but I am not sure that is true...from everything I read, all this came up rather suddenly...

They all just got into a groove and finished it in 3 days....Clapton just happened to be there...there may have been some older equipment from Knoflers stuff ( it was his studio, right?) but I do not think they went the route of getting old mics and amps, and guitar and strings, etc...It sounds like an impromptu jam session (that lasted 3 days, LOL)

Over all, I like the album...to be honest...I am not the biggest blues fan ( which surprises me, since I managed and tended bar in a DC blues club for over 10 years, but I was in it for the chics)...I love when the band plays 1 or 2 blues songs in a show or on an album, but to listen to an entire album ( by anyone) is hard for me.

As I listen to all the songs ( 2 or 3 at a time) I enjoy them...some more than others...
I think this is a really great piece of musicianship on everyone's part. I wish the album cover was better though...would loved to have seen the band dressed up like old blues musicians or assume some sort of old timey characters, like on BB

If they retired from recording tomorrow, it would be a great swan song....almost a full circle. So glad Bigger Bang was not the last album released...

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #89 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:01pm
Billboard:

"The Rolling Stones rock at No. 4 with its new blues covers album, Blue & Lonesome, which debuts with 123,000 units (120,000 in traditional album sales). The set -- which is the band’s first album of all-new recordings since 2005’s A Bigger Bang -- marks the group’s record-extending 37th top 10 effort. (No act has earned more top 10 albums in the history of the chart.) It’s the band’s first new top 10 since A Bigger Bang debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 129,000 copies sold in its first week. (It was also the last album of new tunes written by the group.)"

http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/7617662/the-hamilton-mixtap...

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #90 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:03pm
The Rolling Stones Earn Record-Extending 37th Top 10 Album on Billboard 200 Chart

The Rolling Stones notch their record-extending 37th top 10 album on the Billboard 200 chart, as the band’s new set, Blue & Lonesome, debuts at No. 4.

The blues covers effort starts with 123,000 equivalent album units earned in the week ending Dec. 8, according to Nielsen Music. Of that sum, 120,000 were traditional album sales.

The Billboard 200 chart ranks the most popular albums of the week in the U.S. based on multi-metric consumption, which includes traditional album sales, track equivalent albums (TEA) and streaming equivalent albums (SEA). The new Dec. 24-dated chart (where Blue & Lonesome bows at No. 4) will be posted in full to Billboard’s websites on Tuesday, Dec. 13.

Blue & Lonesome -- which is the band’s first album of all-new recordings since 2005’s A Bigger Bang -- marks the group’s 37th top 10 effort. No act has earned more top 10 albums in the history of the chart. In second place on the all-time tally is Barbra Streisand, with 34.

Blue & Lonesome is the band’s first new top 10 since A Bigger Bang debuted and peaked at No. 3 with 129,000 copies sold in its first week. (It was also the last album of new tunes written by the group.)

Blue & Lonesome’s first-week launch of 123,000 is particularly robust for a few reasons. First, it’s a covers set, which sometimes draw less fanfare than albums of wholly new material. Plus, it comes over a decade after A Bigger Bang, so it proves there is still an audience for new music by the Stones. Further, as album sales in the U.S. fell 61 percent between 2005 and 2015, it makes the Stones’ start even more solid -- Blue & Lonesome’s sales bow is just 6,000 copies fewer than the launch of A Bigger Bang over 10 years ago.

Of course, it’s not as if the Stones have been off the radar for the past decade on vacation. The band has reissued a number of albums in expansive deluxe sets (including Exile on Main St., Some Girls and Sticky Fingers), toured the world a few times, and released live albums and greatest hits compilations.

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #91 - Dec 11th, 2016 at 5:12pm
First debuts so far:

UK (106,000)
Germany (+100,000)
Sweden
Netherlands (+50,000)
Belgium (Flanders)
Belgium (Wallonia)
Norway
Australia (18,370)
Argentina

France (52,000)
New Zealand

Japan (22,427)

USA (123,000)
Italy
Ireland

IP Logged

lotsajizz
Rocks Off Regular

Rhode Island
Reply #92 - Dec 12th, 2016 at 7:00pm
I have been out of town till late last night and today I am giving it its first solid listens; it is Fucking Awesome!  At several points Mick's singing had my arm hair standing straight up (sorry, not my Hog Joey!)

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."  Dr. Johnson.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #93 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 6:33am
Road trip today for business!! Gonna play it proud and loud!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #94 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:40pm
I spent some quality time with this cd today. It is what the boys and girls on the plains of Nebraska with bats and balls call doing your best Jagger!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #95 - Dec 13th, 2016 at 4:19pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 13th, 2016 at 3:40pm:
It is what the boys and girls on the plains of Nebraska with bats and balls call doing your best Jagger!

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #96 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 1:43am
Gazza wrote on Dec 5th, 2016 at 4:48pm:
One thing that struck me today.

Including all their studio, live and compilation albums (but excluding the archive live releases like Leeds '82) this is only the third Stones album that was completely recorded in their home country.

The others were their debut album (both the UK and US versions) and 'Satanic Majesties'.

Even the 'Got live if you want it' live album from the '66 UK tour had some studio material recorded in the US.

Their parts were recorded in London but Chuck Levells parts were recorded in New Orleans in April.

Now about the record .. I am grateful to great friends for giving me a sneak peak.

On one final note.. you seem actually most satisfied... even surprisingly satisfied ... quite enthused with the new album ..

>> If you are satisfied.. now so am I! Rock On, Gazz!!

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #97 - Dec 14th, 2016 at 9:34pm
Best Stones record since Dirty Work, in Perks opinion

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #98 - Dec 15th, 2016 at 6:51am
BILL PERKS wrote on Dec 14th, 2016 at 9:34pm:
Best Stones record since Dirty Work, in Perks opinion

LIGHTEN UP PERKS.

IP Logged

Kilroy
Rocks Off Regular

I love this place!

Mickville Virginny USA
Reply #99 - Dec 16th, 2016 at 8:08am
Santa promised me I was getting Blue & Lonesome under the tree!
I can't wait, it's like 1963 all over again.
I Love this place!

The Core Of The Rolling Stones is Charlie Watts Hi-Hat/The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Of Me/And Then We Became Naked/After the Skeet Shoot & Sweet Dreams Mary & #9 11/22/1968 @#500 2/19/2010 @#800 4/09/2011 @#888 10/28/2011 @#1000 2/2/12

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)