Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Blue & Lonesome - Released Dec. 2, 2016 - Your Verdict (Read 56,837 times)
WaiteringOnAFiend
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

Re: Blue & Lonesome - Released Dec. 2, 2016 - Your Verdict
Reply #25 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 3:08am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Much to ponder.
Is it Jogger reborn, or escaping, or calling the shots, or mourning events of a couple of years ago, or 'papering over the cracks', filling in for KR with harmonica, re-iiving Edith Grove in groove rather than in a exhibiti-mock-up, paying dues? Isn't it odd to think they could invent a new musical style and thrust based on blues and then revert to it? Is the idea that it wouldn't matter that they wouldn't sell as many copies as a new fully Stoonz album would perhaps to expected to sell? Is this all about they being able to sit down and play/sing in future more? How much time did they spend on perfecting some of the distorty outros? Did they dub it up enough?  Isn't it funny that RW says that "we're a blues band"? How will the album and tracks unfold during repeated plays over the wintry winter? Is Bill a fan? When Don Was said that Jogger "wasn't feeling it" when recording original material last year, has he got over this? Will they go into a Euro tour promoting Blue & Lo' or will they unfold new & original delights?

Lovely Happy-ish days!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #26 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 6:50am
It'll make a great stocking stuffer.

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #27 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 8:43am
My vinyl copy is due to arrive on Friday. I can't wait!

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #28 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 2:27pm
Sounds great, thank you so much.

Stu approves.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #29 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 3:39pm
first off- exileonmainstreet@****.com sent me a link to album on my email. Bless you and may The Good Lord shine a light on you.
second- can I trust the link.

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #30 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:26pm
Some Guy wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 3:39pm:
first off- exileonmainstreet@****.com sent me a link to album on my email. Bless you and may The Good Lord shine a light on you.

you made a grown man cry
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:28pm by Gazza »  

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #31 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:38pm
Gazza wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:26pm:

you made a grown man cry

they sound great! Wow
!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #32 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 7:40pm
gonna be some serious white mans overbite with this one.

IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #33 - Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:28pm
Who's credited as producer(s) on B&L, anyway?

The vocalist on "I Gotta Go" is a man who obviously remembers everything he ever learned young.  But where are the guitarists?  This is one of a few problems with the mix on the fast numbers, which is too hard-charging "raw" for the general good of the public.  Maybe next time just sling two mics over a rafter, or go back to Toshiba Studios. 

Are they better than they've been lately on record?  Yes.  But lately was 2005.  They sounded antiseptic and anodyne then, but the production on "Just Your Fool," "Commit a Crime," "I Gotta Go" and "Ride 'em on Down" is not an improvement, and speaks ill of Mark Knopfler's room.  They got it right on all the other ones, though - so the majority wins the decision.

The Guardian: 'And they do record on tape, Richards says. “This is not digital crap.” '  The trouble is, it's mixed so hot for the sake of "authenticity" that the fast numbers sound like what they were trying to avoid.    

Lossless rip now available on D****oid - so my earlier complaints are now updated.

P.S. - Mick, the B-stage is the place for a set of three of these songs, not the main stage where "Ride 'em on Down" was a wasted balls-up.  ("Here birdie!  Nice birdie!  Oh, well - on to the next...")
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2016 at 8:07am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #34 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:37pm
I'm fixin' to listen to it again.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

Do the horrendous to that
if you can

San Mateo
Reply #35 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:43pm
Some Guy wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 4:38pm:

you made a grown man cry

they sound great! Wow
!

I didn't get an Email.  Spooky post

I'll shoot it to you straight and look you in the eye
So gimme just a minute and I'll tell you why

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #36 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:44pm
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:43pm:

you made a grown man cry

they sound great! Wow
!

you'll get nothing and like it.

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #37 - Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:45pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:44pm:
sweetcharmedlife wrote on Dec 1st, 2016 at 2:43pm:

you made a grown man cry

they sound great! Wow
!

you'll get nothing and like it.

I already did when Trump was elected.

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #38 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 6:05am
Really proud of this one. I will find a Best Buy during my travels today and buy it.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #39 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 10:25am
sounds pretty sweet so far on pc speakers...going to burn and light up the big stereo speakers for more in depth listening later

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Steel Wheels
Rocks Off Regular

Much love and support
to my dear friend Mary!

2,000 Light Years From Home
Reply #40 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 1:41pm
What's everyone listening to the new tunes on? Boombox? PC? Phone? Dedicated audio system?

I LIVE FOR THE ROLLING STONES!
Devoted Stones fan since time began. SMILE. THE ROLLING STONES ARE HERE.

IP Logged

Ian Billen
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules

USA
Reply #41 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 2:15pm
andrews27 wrote on Nov 30th, 2016 at 9:28pm:
Who's credited as producer(s) on B&L, anyway?

The vocalist on "I Gotta Go" is a man who obviously remembers everything he ever learned young.  But where are the guitarists?  This is one of a few problems with the mix on the fast numbers, which is too hard-charging "raw" for the general good of the public.  Maybe next time just sling two mics over a rafter, or go back to Toshiba Studios. 

Are they better than they've been lately on record?  Yes.  But lately was 2005.  They sounded antiseptic and anodyne then, but the production on "Just Your Fool," "Commit a Crime," "I Gotta Go" and "Ride 'em on Down" is not an improvement, and speaks ill of Mark Knopfler's room.  They got it right on all the other ones, though - so the majority wins the decision.

The Guardian: 'And they do record on tape, Richards says. “This is not digital crap.” '  The trouble is, it's mixed so hot for the sake of "authenticity" that the fast numbers sound like what they were trying to avoid.    

Lossless rip now available on D****oid - so my earlier complaints are now updated.

P.S. - Mick, the B-stage is the place for a set of three of these songs, not the main stage where "Ride 'em on Down" was a wasted balls-up.  ("Here birdie!  Nice birdie!  Oh, well - on to the next...")

Mark Knopflers studio / British Grove Studio's (and rooms) are of the best in the entire world. It was built from the ground up .. even with filtered power coming in from the street to present the very best in new, more cutting edge equipment and just as as well obtaining and still using the old gear. He purposefully has fully restored vintage consoles and new and old gear all in the same control room .. Some of the vintage gear is the only fully restored in England (I watched a show on the making of the studio).

The reason it sounds sort of loud and distorted without as much texture or depth on certain tracks is two fold.

The trade off is they wanted something sounded over driven and saturated such as the old blues albums often had. Second .. having it textured and with all the dynamics is great ... but for a blues album .. IT would get a little slow .. a little long .. a tad drawn out.

Having it loud and upfront on four tracks and on certain numbers keeps it from getting too drawn out (for the sake of any younger folks .. who may buy it?). Sure..there won't be many .. but it is what they are going for here.

Having it loud and distorted keeps it from getting too drawn out and slow .. It keeps it exciting where needed and also added that old school sound. This is why they chose that on certain tracks.

Remember.. it is still a product.. and I must say .. they did a fine job in satisfying the purists ... (as well as hoping to obtain a few curious newbies).

The song selection ... sound .. and vibe and everything about the album is a winner IMO .. (as well .. Jagger truly shines .. he not only shines .. he leads it).

- Ian

Thought you were dinner  ...but you were the shark ..

IP Logged

sweetcharmedlife
Agent Provocateur

if you can

San Mateo
Reply #42 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 2:33pm
Some Guy wrote on Dec 2nd, 2016 at 6:05am:
Really proud of this one. I will find a Best Buy during my travels today and buy it.

Me too!  You rock! Fuck you Gazza, Will ya?

IP Logged

Gazza
Unholy Trinity Admin

Rat Bastid      "We piss
anywhere, man.."

Belfast, UK
Reply #43 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 6:56am
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

... ... ...
WWW https://www.facebook.com/gary.galbraith  
IP Logged

andrews27
Rocks Off Regular

Wake up Bowie or we all
through!!

Pittsburgh, PA, USA
Reply #44 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:28am
The trade off is they wanted something sounded over driven and saturated such as the old blues albums often had. Second .. having it textured and with all the dynamics is great ... but for a blues album .. IT would get a little slow .. a little long .. a tad drawn out.

Yes, but:

First, though recorded on tape in a great room, the mix and digital conversion make it sound exactly like what young people have been listening to since the 1990s - strained-sounding, brickwalled, over-loud noise.  The sound is passable on the slow songs, because there's more studio air between the instruments.  But the fast songs are more headache-y than anything Butch Vig ever invented for post-Punk torture purposes.  The sound they got on Some Girls would have sufficed.

Second, I agree that one wouldn't want a blues cover album to sound too precious (and I'm grateful that the dubbed sound of a phono stylus running out its groove isn't heard).  However, you can find tons of great blues albums - made on the cheap in the 1950s and 1960s by engineers and producers with no care for the artists or product - that sound less fatiguing and more inviting.

And, as I pointed out in my first point, the fact that the sound is fatiguing makes the 12 songs - one over five minutes long, and too much covered in Rock - seem "drawn out," even at under 43 minutes' total time.

Last, the vocals-and-harmonica-on-top mix is overdone and deleterious on "I Gotta Go" - allegedly featuring Eric Clapton, but who knows, because the guitars are so subdued in the mix that Jagger might as well be backed by only bass and percussion.  Compare this to any Muddy Waters or early Stones blues - the competing versions of "I Just Want to Make Love to You" will do - and you can see that aiming for the dynamics of a cheapie blues record is to aim lower than Muddy, and to make the guitars vanish as they never did on a Chess album, or on any Stones record.  Don Was is nuts for letting them put this mix out.  Were the engineers smarter at Regent Sound Studios, 1964?

Speaking of white boys, and white producers, the first two J. Geils Band records were recorded better, without any noticable overthinking, and they still came off like records in the blues tradition.  In the case of this "one-take" Blue and Lonesome, all the overthinking went into attempting analog authenticity within the digital aesthetic.

Is Blue and Lonesome a good record?  Yes.

Is it painful to listen to?  Yes.

Jagger to the LA Times: “That’s the essence of some of those Chess songs,” he added. “You can make counter-arguments — that Hubert Sumlin jumps out of some of those Howlin’ Wolf records. But on a lot of them you can’t discern who’s playing what or what kind of instrument it is until you really listen.

“My thinking on the mixing of it was to re-create some of those things,” he said. “You’re hearing the sound of a band; sometimes you can’t figure out if it’s Keith or Ron who’s playing the solo, or who’s playing the rhythm part. It’s not a wide stereo — it’s a very narrow stereo, and with the amount of distortion it sounds like this one ball of fire.”

Maybe a bit too much of a good thing.  See illustration below:

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -- Revelation 22:19

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2016 at 9:13am by andrews27 »  

That guy that punched Mick at Altamont...and all the Hell's Angels...all that bad acid let them hear A Bigger Bang!!

IP Logged

Eduardo BM Paiva
Rocks Off Regular

Brasil
Reply #45 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:25pm
andrews27 wrote on Dec 3rd, 2016 at 7:28am:

Yes, but:

First, though recorded on tape in a great room, the mix and digital conversion make it sound exactly like what young people have been listening to since the 1990s - strained-sounding, brickwalled, over-loud noise.  The sound is passable on the slow songs, because there's more studio air between the instruments.  But the fast songs are more headache-y than anything Butch Vig ever invented for post-Punk torture purposes.  The sound they got on Some Girls would have sufficed.

Second, I agree that one wouldn't want a blues cover album to sound too precious (and I'm grateful that the dubbed sound of a phono stylus running out its groove isn't heard).  However, you can find tons of great blues albums - made on the cheap in the 1950s and 1960s by engineers and producers with no care for the artists or product - that sound less fatiguing and more inviting.

And, as I pointed out in my first point, the fact that the sound is fatiguing makes the 12 songs - one over five minutes long, and too much covered in Rock - seem "drawn out," even at under 43 minutes' total time.

Last, the vocals-and-harmonica-on-top mix is overdone and deleterious on "I Gotta Go" - allegedly featuring Eric Clapton, but who knows, because the guitars are so subdued in the mix that Jagger might as well be backed by only bass and percussion.  Compare this to any Muddy Waters or early Stones blues - the competing versions of "I Just Want to Make Love to You" will do - and you can see that aiming for the dynamics of a cheapie blues record is to aim lower than Muddy, and to make the guitars vanish as they never did on a Chess album, or on any Stones record.  Don Was is nuts for letting them put this mix out.  Were the engineers smarter at Regent Sound Studios, 1964?

Speaking of white boys, and white producers, the first two J. Geils Band records were recorded better, without any noticable overthinking, and they still came off like records in the blues tradition.  In the case of this "one-take" Blue and Lonesome, all the overthinking went into attempting analog authenticity within the digital aesthetic.

Is Blue and Lonesome a good record?  Yes.

Is it painful to listen to?  Yes.

Jagger to the LA Times: “That’s the essence of some of those Chess songs,” he added. “You can make counter-arguments — that Hubert Sumlin jumps out of some of those Howlin’ Wolf records. But on a lot of them you can’t discern who’s playing what or what kind of instrument it is until you really listen.

“My thinking on the mixing of it was to re-create some of those things,” he said. “You’re hearing the sound of a band; sometimes you can’t figure out if it’s Keith or Ron who’s playing the solo, or who’s playing the rhythm part. It’s not a wide stereo — it’s a very narrow stereo, and with the amount of distortion it sounds like this one ball of fire.”

Maybe a bit too much of a good thing.  See illustration below:

"And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." -- Revelation 22:19

Totally agree. The song selection is good, Mick Jagger is fucking awesone on every track, but the album as a whole is not a pleasant listening experience.

It sounds too loud, too distorted and lacks dynamics. Also, IMO Mick's vocals have too much reverb on it. Never really liked reverb in excess.

This could've been much better with the right production.

Anyway, I'm glad we got a new album, even though it's a cover record.

IP Logged

Soldatti
Rocks Off Regular

Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reply #46 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:35pm
Hundreds of fans on queue yesterday in London to get the album:

IP Logged

Unholy Trinity
Unholy Trinity Admin

ROCKS OFF RULES

Belfast/Santander/Mexico City
Reply #47 - Dec 3rd, 2016 at 5:48pm
Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

The Administrators' account
IP Logged

BILL PERKS
Rocks Off Regular

NJ
Reply #48 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 9:24pm
ITS FUCKIN PHENOMENAL.

IP Logged

Trey Krimsin
Rocks Off Regular

Slots Rule You Bastards!!!!!!

Thomasville, North Carolina
Reply #49 - Dec 2nd, 2016 at 9:39pm
So far, I've played it straight through once and listened to select songs a couple of times. I think it's a solid record. It's worth a few more listens, for sure.

It's just that demon life, it got me in its sway - MJ/KR

My first published comic work can be found here! And this is only the beginning...:
http://www.grayhavencomics.com/comics/the-gathering-faithtime-travel/

[img]
WWW https://www.facebook.com/rodney.traynham Trey+Krimsin  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 8
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)