Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

ROCKS OFF - The Rolling Stones Message Board

Free optional entertainment since (at least) 14 July 1998
Meanwhile… somewhere in the US the Rolling Stones were starting tour rehearsals.. 🎸🎸 © The Rolling Stones

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The origin of Jumpin' Jack Flash (Read 2,434 times)
GoingDown
Rocks Off Regular

Rocks Off Rules You Bastards

The origin of Jumpin' Jack Flash
Oct 9th, 2016 at 2:42am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
Hello, I'm a new one here and I'm french (or belgian) and I speak in "decadent" english.
Some years before, I have written on IORR and other sites. I told about a great version of the concert at Roundhouse in 71 and I have showed that the riff of Under my thumb come from the introduction of "It's the same old song" of the Four Tops, that the melody of Paint it black come from "My world is empty without you" of the Supremes and the "paint it paint it" was inspired by the "baby baby" of Diana Ross on "Where did our love go". I had other ideas. The inspiration of Ron Wood for It's only rock'n'roll (but I like it) is the guitars on Blues Power (Clapton at Rainbow theatre with Wood, Townshend in january 73), the riff of Pinball Wizard comes from London social degree of Billy Nicholls, future producer of the Who. Maybe the riff of Satisfaction come from an acceleration of the horns of Nowhere to run the hit of Martha and the Vandellas. Everytime, the sources come juste a little time before the creation of the Stones (or the Who). Surprise, surprise was sung by Lulu and the Luvers and The Sweet imitates the title with Ballroom Blitz, but in realité the Stones took the riff and structure of Let's stomp, an english merseybeat of 63 by Lee Curtis and the All Stars with a drummer named Pete Best. For Angels in my heart, Mick Jagger took a piece of melody of Would'nt you a song of the very first album of Legend with Mickey Jupp (two albums was intitled "Legend" before Moonshine the third one).
You know that The Last time take a melody  of Maybe the last time (Staple Singers) and I'm alright was a song of Bo Diddley as Charlie Watts said himself on stage at the time (live album Beach Party).
And now, I don't believe in the legend that Bill Wyman creates the riff or the embryo of Jumpin' Jack Flash. Keith is not agree, he writes that the title come from a speech between him and Jagger. Keith saw his gardfener Jack Dyer and said : "Jumpin' Jack", Mick added : "Flash" and they smiled of their rythmic creation.
You will see that Keith hides a part of the truth but he knows better than Wyman the origin of the song.
In reality, Jackie Day is a little bit similar to the name Jackie Dyer. Days goes with "Flash". Jackie was transformed in "Jack". Why a Jumpin' Jackie Day ? Because Keith and Mick was seduced by her song Before it's too late. Mick and Keith transformed "Jackie Day" in "Jumpin' Jack Flash" and "it's too late" in "it's a gas gas gas". Keith transformed the riff of Before it's too late in a riff rock. The riff seems a little bit similar to the music of Otis Redding according to me. But nevermind. It's the same riff with a transformation from soul to rock.
And eventually, Mick and Keith was interested by a particular detail in the structure of the song. After the 2/3 of the song appears a play with saxo and how to say in english a particular sound saturates the song with only one sound. Keith and Mick loved that. They are developped the same thing on Jumpin' Jack Flash with a "organ" who sounded like an harmonica and a big sound saturates the end of the song. They do the same with Street fighting man, you have and indian horn ("hautbois" in french) at the same moment in the structure of the song.

You can find "Before it's too late" on the compilation 4 CD of the catalog of Guy Stevens.
I'm not allowed to publish a link in my first message, but I wanted to say at once all this. I have written in french too in another french site.
I will published the links another time.

IP Logged

GoingDown
Rocks Off Regular

Re: The origin of Jumpin' Jack Flash
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 3:06am

(baby baby soft, paint it paint it more rock)

(faster, Keith Richards tolds that the riff of Satisfaction was for horns and we have horns in the leitmotiv of Nowhere to run)

(end of the first sentence the words of rock'n'roll, later the guitars)

Bonus :

In a different way, the guitar of Taylor at the end of Can't your hear me knocking play a wonderful eitmotiv, I have found a similar one but later in 1973. The band is very good : Sopwith Camel, two albums, for each one a great song Hello Hello in 1966 and Fazon in 1973. In sleazy street, the guitar seems to be inspired by the Stones.

(maybe and old leitmotiv, I don't know)

Another idea, Ten Years after imitated the rhythm and structure of Sympathy for the devil in 50000 miles beneath my brain

And my last comaprison for this time, about the wonderful Gimme shelter

If I could only be sure as he sings... 1972 against 1969, an old leitmotiv in soul or an inspiration by The Rolling Stones ?

IP Logged

GoingDown
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2016 at 3:15am
A song a little bit similar to Paint it black, but... in 67

The two songs of the Supremes are the origin of Paint it black, but this other song shows how the melody of Paint it black is in a precise period of history of music. Other old titles would be similar to Paint it black for the sad and blue melody. The oriental style hide this fact.

IP Logged

christijanus
Rocks Off Regular

Scrap that shit off my
shoes

The Netherlands
Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 4:58am
Beter goed gejat, dan slecht bedacht

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 1:00pm
I believe legend has it Mick and Keith were together early one morning after some rain. A gardener named Jack was skipping on the sidewalk to miss puddles and that rhythmic sound was the inspiration of the riff. Jack was the the Jumpin Gardener.

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 2:22pm
gimmekeef wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 1:00pm:
I believe legend has it Mick and Keith were together early one morning after some rain. A gardener named Jack was skipping on the sidewalk to miss puddles and that rhythmic sound was the inspiration of the riff. Jack was the the Jumpin Gardener.

Heard that too.......and ya know that's the honest truth  Don't suck my cock

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

nankerphelge
Rocks Off Regular

Maybe being bad is more
fun than being good...

Sweet Virginia
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2016 at 3:25pm
Dude's got some imagination and a lot of time on his hands.

IP Logged

GoingDown
Rocks Off Regular

Reply #7 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 6:09am
Bill Wyman or reporters said : "Mick and Keith were not here. Bill was with Brian and Charlie, and Bill creates a riff. Mick and Keith arrive when Bill, Charlie and Brian played together. And with the riff of Bill Wyman, Keith and Mick would create the title Jumpin' Jack Flash. Bill wasn't credited".
Keith said : "The story of Bill Wyman is not true. I was in my house with Mick. I see my gardener Jack Dyer and I say "Jumpin' Jack". Mick adds: "Jumpin' Jack Flash".

In fact, the pronunciation of "Dyer" is a little bit similar to "Day". In reality, Keith loved the soul song "Before it's too late" of "Jackie Day" Keith said : "Jumpin' Jackie", "Jumpin' Jackie Day". Maybe Mick said "Before it's too late, yeah it's a gas".
Eventually, Keith decides to transforme the riff of Before it's too late in a rock one. They transform their joke "Jumpin' Jackie Day" in "Jumpin' Jack Flash". "Before it's too late" becomes "it's a gas". The riffs are easy to compare and third proof Keith was interested by the effect of saxophone at the end of the song, he imitates the effect on two new songs : Street fighting man and of course Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Of course, we have a real rock transformation between the soul title and the rock legend.

Another idea. In 1966, the title "Think" of the Rolling Stones is very different of the "Think" of James Brown, but the two songs have similarities. The two songs accentuates the word "think". I think the Rolling stones wanteds to do something a little bit similar to James Brown but in another direction.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #8 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 7:42pm
Welcome to the community, GoingDown.  I had never heard that Jackie Day song.  That's it!  The "That's jumpin' Jack" story about the gardener was about the lyric, not the music. 

P.S. You write English excellently.
« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2016 at 7:43pm by Zack »  

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Zack
Rocks Off Regular

Chiba Face Rules You Bastards!

Dakar
Reply #9 - Nov 2nd, 2016 at 7:46pm
nankerphelge wrote on Oct 21st, 2016 at 3:25pm:
Dude's got some imagination and a lot of time on his hands.

This type of shit is what this board NEEDS, nankmeister.

Only a crowd can make you feel so alone.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)