Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register

YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
Home Help Search Login Register Broadcast Message to Admin(s)

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 275
Send Topic Print
The nonsense thread - Enter at your own risk! Warning… 100% off topic and full of nonsense inside (Read 890,437 times)
gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!) - Enter at your own risk! Warning… Probable bullcrap inside
Reply #4125 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:09am
Alert Board Moderator about this Post! 
I had a Trump sandwich yesterday. Easy to make at home too:

two slices of white crusty bread

piled high with bologna
and then smothered in Russian dressing

"Runnin Like A Cat In A Thunderstorm"

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Re: Politics thread (ssc!!) - Enter at your own risk! Warning… Probable bullcrap inside
Reply #4126 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:27am
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:09am:

piled high with bologna

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4127 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 11:03am

<  --------------- Another Friday Evening    ..................  Another Night of  ................ Wait for it !!!!!!!   .......   :

That is right .   THAT IS RIGHT !!!!!!   : 

|
|
|
|
|
|
|
V

*********  " DRINKING WITH Xi :     "  President's Day Edition   !!!!!!!  "   ***********

Hello Me Stonesian Brothers and Sisters    

“ SLIT SKIRTS !!!! “    ……..   “ All the Best Cowboys Have Chinese Eyes !  “    ……………. Or so says Emperor Xi    ..... and PETE !!!!!

Hello Me Stoneslings  .  Well , these brutal Midwestern Winters are certainly living up to their reputations THIS year as the bitter
cold and constant snow is unrelenting  --- sort of like all of those Democratic Presidential Contenders announcing their candidacies
weekend  …… after weekend  ……. after weekend  ……….   there was one poor Lil’ Lamb who stood in the middle of a friggin
blizzard and by the time she finished it was as if she literally had just vanished into a white apparition . Speaking of “ White
Apparition “  , that is EXACTLY what Emperor Xi and myself were drinking Friday Evening at The Brazen Head  . Me Stonesian
Brothers and Sisters , this particular beer is an Imperial Golden Ale brewed with Brown Sugar and Honey ; then conditioned
on coffee , cacao and vanilla   ---- Very Warming and Soothing with a slightly odd finish .  I must admit  , this is not exactly
my favorite Winter Time Beer  , but Xi loves that word  “  IMPERIAL  “  !   Smiley   

Soon Emperor Xi and myself got down to business discussing the upcoming 2020 Presidential Race  . Both The Emperor and myself
agreed that once a trade deal is cut between the Great Man   ----- President Donald J. Trump ( “ PRECIOUS ! “ )  and Xi himself the
Stock Market is going to SKYROCKET setting new highs every single month up until the election   --- guaranteeing President Trump a
solid Forty – Nine State Landslide Victory ( The State of California being the lone holdout as they give everything to EVERYBODY !!!!!  )
Emperor Xi concurred by remarking ,  “ The Democratic Party has completely lost Middle America and to paraphrase LBJ : ‘ If I have
lost Middle America I have lost the election . ‘ ( See : Walter Cronkite knocking The Vietnam War , circa February 28th , 1968 ) . “
I assented and mentioned how I can not even watch any of those award programs anymore as everything is no longer mainstream
and lost to the fringes . Look at that Super Bowl Halftime Show    ----  some guy stands on stage , takes off his shirt and shows off
a completely Tattooed Torso   -- Pathetic  ;  What happened to the Classics ?!  :  The Rolling Stones , The Who , Paul McCartney , 
BRUUUCE Springsteen  , Tom Petty , U2 , etc.  …… ?! I do not understand  ….. I just do not understand !!!!   ......  I finally got up the nerve
to ask Emperor Xi if he believes there will be a stable and enforceable Trade Deal between China and The United States ?  Xi responded ,
“  Yes ,    ......  However ,  I am the one who is officially ‘ President – For – Life ‘ and does not have to answer to the voters in 2020 . “

I was about to reply when VIP Hostess Erin stopped by to say ,   “ Hello “   ,  rubbed Xi’s thigh , and the two of them ventured into the
Robert Emmet Room not to be seen again for the rest of the evening  ----  leaving behind a   “   White Apparition  .  “   Smiley 

************************     ………..............……..  “  I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!  “   …………….   **************************

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2019 at 8:36am by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4128 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 1:34pm
Edith Grove wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:27am:
gimmekeef wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 10:09am:

piled high with bologna

Edith...that is freaking funny!

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4129 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:43pm
Some Guy ?

“What rap did that was impressive was to show there are so many tone-deaf people out there,” he says. “All they need is a drum beat and somebody yelling over it and they’re happy. There’s an enormous market for people who can’t tell one note from another.” - Keef

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4130 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 6:38pm
Edith Grove wrote on Feb 19th, 2019 at 4:43pm:
Some Guy ?

Does he have a nickname?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/430525-trump-working-on-labels-for-2020-de
ms-report

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4131 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 6:40pm
FOX News Reports: Trump is Fucking Up.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4132 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 8:57pm

Some Guy wrote on Feb 17th, 2019 at 10:07am:
Joey I had Five Guys Burgers last night. I may need to declare a National Emergency this morning.

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2019 at 2:06pm by Joey »  

...&&&&D.J. Jazzy Joe and the Fresh Prince of Boca Raton !™&& *** " VICTORY !!!! " ***...

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4133 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:04pm

<  ------------- Some Guy  ?!  ... !!!!!   :

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/david-ignatius-how-the-u-s-might-stay-in-syria/art...

" David Ignatius: How the U.S. might stay in Syria, and leave at the same time .  "

" WASHINGTON -- Is there a way for the United States and its allies to remain in northeastern Syria, even after President Donald Trump's pledged withdrawal of U.S. military forces there? Officials are struggling to devise such a "workaround" strategy, but it could carry more risks than keeping the existing advisory force.

The loudest public call for an alternative to withdrawal from Syria is Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C. The senator said Friday in Munich that he wants European nations to provide troops for a "safe zone" as a way of coaxing Trump to maintain a U.S. presence.

"I'm hoping that President Trump will be coming to some of you and asking for your help and you will say yes," Graham said, promising that the United States would offer "in return, the capability that we have that is unique," and that the United States "will still be in the fight in Syria."

How this plan might operate remains unclear, according to current and former U.S. officials. One official said that Britain, France and Germany had already turned down initial U.S. requests for troops in Syria, but that was before Graham's public plea. Current plans call for U.S. military forces to depart Syria by the end of April, but officials say the timeline is fuzzy.

One possibility, according to U.S. and foreign officials, would be to have paramilitary officers from the CIA take over the training and advising of the Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF). Since 2015, those duties have been carried out by U.S. Special Operations forces.

This approach, still in the discussion stage, would allow Trump to claim he is delivering on his pledge to withdraw troops from Syria, without creating a vacuum in the northeast that would be exploited by Turkey, Iran, Russia and the Syrian regime.

This new option, in the language of government lawyers, would mix Title 10 overt military operations and Title 50 covert action. Reduced military activity could continue under Title 10 authority, to provide air cover and logistical support for U.S. and allied troops on the ground, but the SDF's advisers might be CIA officers. The CIA operatives, like existing Special Forces personnel, wouldn't be involved directly in ground combat.

Trump's December withdrawal decision shocked U.S. allies, members of Congress and administration officials -- and led to the resignation of Defense Secretary Jim Mattis. The latest open critic is Gen. Joseph Votel, the head of U.S. Central Command, who told CNN Friday during a trip to Oman that Trump's decision to pull the roughly 2,000 U.S. troops from Syria "would not have been my military advice at that particular time."

Votel said the Islamic State "still has leaders, still has fighters, it still has facilitators, so our continued military pressure is necessary to go after that network." He said SDF fighters "still require our enablement and our assistance with this."

A paramilitary advisory force, operating under Title 50, would have some significant disadvantages, reminiscent of other covert actions in past decades. Current U.S. military forces in Syria can deter adversaries because they carry the U.S. flag, literally and figuratively. A paramilitary force wouldn't have that same deterrent capability, or the ability to deconflict operations with other forces in the area, such as Russia and Turkey.

"Having a visible force on the ground deters all the other actors," argues a former U.S. official. "If we can't talk about that force, or it's wearing a different (CIA) hat, then our ability to deter is limited."

European nations will weigh the vulnerability of their troops as they consider any request to provide forces for a buffer zone. They've been reluctant to provide such overt support in the past. But they share U.S. worries about creating a vacuum in northeast Syria and the danger that Kurdish-led forces might be slaughtered if abandoned by the United States.

Given the U.S. and European policy muddle, SDF commanders must weigh whether to make their own accommodation with Russia and the Syrian regime. The United Arab Emirates is said to favor such an approach, and some longtime SDF supporters say a deal with the regime would be safer for the Kurds than depending on a fickle United States and a gun-shy Europe.

Trump supporters, such as Graham, often propose workarounds that try to preserve sensible policy while accommodating the president's whims. That might be doable in Syria, with allied help and some legal and military juggling. But the best course would be for Trump simply to acknowledge that his earlier decision was unwise and reverse it.  "

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2019 at 3:14pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4134 - Feb 19th, 2019 at 9:26pm

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2019 at 8:38am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4135 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 8:44pm
sirmoonie wrote on Feb 4th, 2019 at 12:42am:
Guys,

I was on a Mission.  A Mormon Mission.  Far flung.  The reaches of the world.  Hither and yonder.

This thread is all wrong.  Every bit, every coin, every tax.  I'll sort you guys out on this stuff.  Let me get something together for you, and change can take place in your dark hearts. 

MEATBALL   ?!!  .........  Who Names a Cat MEATBALL   ?!     .... No WONDER the animal is secretly a PRESIDENT TRUMP SUPPORTER who constantly escapes to attend the TRUMP RALLIES    :

https://news.grabien.com/story-morning-joe-compares-mikas-cat-meatball-tim-ryan

Poor Kitty   -----  Did you happen to see that forlorn look on his face as they pulled him up and out of his hiding place  ?    As if he was thinking ,   "  Holy Sh#t !!!!  ... ......How did they find me ?!   .... I need to develop a better ratline  . Now I have to go back inside and listen to Mika complain about The Great Man  -- President Trump . I sure wish I was at Joey's house sitting with his cat Buster, sipping Martini's and watching Trump Rallies every night . Maybe even get me one of those ' MAGA Hats ' for my kitty scalp .  When do they go Out - of - Town Again ?  Midwest Here I Come . Brrrrrrrrrr  ....... "
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2019 at 3:58pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4136 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 8:59pm

<  ---- Some Guy  ?!    .....   !!!!!   :

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/james-stavridis-how-the-u-s-can-escape-the-graveya...

" James Stavridis: How the U.S. can escape the graveyard of empires .  "

" The problems in Afghanistan often feel intractable, like a knot of countless ropes bound together. Every time a strand is pulled, another part of the knot tightens up.

Currently, the Taliban refuse to have talks with the Afghan government, which they label a puppet regime; the Kabul government insists that any power-sharing agreement allow limited numbers of Western troops to remain; the Pakistanis, who have long sheltered Taliban leaders, are unwilling to fully encourage a peace settlement; the U.S. and its NATO partners are sick of war and want out; the Russians play a complex double game, sometimes encouraging the Taliban and other times working with the government; and India and China covet the rare- earth metals and other minerals under the dry soil — worth perhaps $2 trillion.

But there are also some distinct signs of progress, due largely to Zalmay Khalilzad, who last year took over as the U.S. special representative to the reconciliation process. I know Zal well, and as the saying goes, if he didn’t exist, we’d have to invent him.

He was born in Mazar-e-Sharif in northern Afghanistan, received a Ph.D. from the University of Chicago and has served as a U.S. ambassador three times (to the United Nations, Afghanistan and Iraq).

Khalilzad is a highly creative thinker and diplomat. He has moved the situation to a serious level of dialogue, through a variety of techniques including a shifting cast of characters at the talks, keeping the Taliban and the Afghan government from having to sit directly with each other, moving the location to the Qatar, Pakistan and other “neutral” sites, engaging Russia and Pakistan effectively and keeping strategic communications flowing.

Partly, these gains stem from war fatigue on both sides.

When I was supreme allied commander overseeing 150,000 U.S. and coalition troops in the field, we made good progress pushing the Taliban out of all urban areas, educating the youth (including young girls for the first time since the Taliban rule), helping the dismal economy start to grow and extending life expectancy.

With now about 14,000 U.S. troops (and 7,000 additional from coalition members), we have reduced our military footprint more than 80 percent with a commensurate drop in casualties.

On the Taliban side, a new generation of leaders seems increasingly tired of the conflict as well. They have indicated a willingness to talk about allowing a power-sharing arrangement, permitting women to hold on to some of their hard-won rights and perhaps creating a system of local self-government that would allow some flexibility in their previously rigid adherence to Sharia law.

Perhaps most important, the Pakistanis seem willing to consider an Afghan government not dominated solely by their Taliban clients.

The Taliban have also made recent gains on the ground, and Afghan Security Force casualties have risen to unacceptable levels. President Ashraf Ghani understands that reaching a deal is urgent.

All this is a sea change, giving a better-than-even chance to land this diplomatically with a settlement that allows Taliban participation in fair elections.

Getting there will require all sides to back off some of their hardline positions. A two-pronged approach can help the U.S. engineer that outcome: let the Afghan government know that patience is running out, and keep the military pressure on the Taliban.

The U.S. experience in Vietnam is instructive: While the vast majority of troops left in 1972, the South Vietnamese held on for three more years because the U.S. continued to finance their military. Saigon fell finally in 1975 when Congress slashed the funding.

It would help to keep the pressure on the Taliban by letting it know that the U.S. learned from that experience and that it plans to keep money flowing to the Afghan military and to maintain a relatively small counterterrorism force to face al-Qaida and the Islamic State.

Afghanistan has long been called the “Graveyard of Empires.” That sobriquet usually refers to the British Raj of the 19th century and the failed Soviet experience in the 20th century.

But the first European to conquer that troublesome land and hold power — at least for a time — did it more than two millennia earlier: Alexander the Great. In his marvelous novel about that ultimately failed conquest, “The Afghan Campaign,” Steven Pressfield provides a vivid portrait of the young king, his military victories and eventual political defeat.

Before his march to Asia, the legend goes, Alexander was confronted with an intricately tied, seemingly impossible tangle of rope in the city of Gordius in modern-day Turkey.

It was said that whoever could untie the knot would one day conquer all of Asia.

The impetuous young king tried his hand at unraveling it, was instantly frustrated and then simply took out his sword and cut the bonds. He did go on to conquer Egypt and much of Asia, including Afghanistan.

Let’s hope Zal Khalilzad is just the diplomat to cut today’s Gordian knot. The key will be persuading both sides to accept a compromise that is far from perfect for either but allows Afghanistan to move forward. "

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2019 at 10:13am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4137 - Feb 20th, 2019 at 9:15pm

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:11am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4138 - Feb 21st, 2019 at 9:37pm

<   ----- Highly Approve of this sort of Behavior .  HIGHLY APPROVE !!!!!   ..... Hopefully they just give him a ' Warning Ticket '  Smiley       ....... LEGALIZE IT !!!!!    :

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/new-england-patriots-owner-robert-kraft-charged-w...

" New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft charged with soliciting sex at Florida spa . "

" New England Patriots owner Robert Kraft on Friday was charged with two counts of soliciting prostitution at a Florida spa -- and cops say there's video.

Kraft, 77, is accused of paying for sexual acts at Orchids of Asia Day Spa in Jupiter, located about 90 miles north of Miami. His name was among more than a dozen who were charged.

Police said they have Kraft, and others, on video receiving the sexual acts and that he participated in prostitution in Florida two separate times.

The spa had been shut down after a months-long investigation revealed women were participating in “sexual servitude,” TC Palm reported, citing arrest records. Nine other spas in Orlando, Palm Beach County and Treasure Coast had also been shut down as part of the investigation.

Police said the suspects paid between $59 and $79 for services.

Authorities said they handed the case over to the state’s attorney’s office and they were working on an active warrant for Kraft’s arrest.

"We categorically deny that Mr. Kraft engaged in any illegal activity," a Patriots spokesperson said in a statement. "Because it is a judicial matter, we will not be commenting further."

Kraft, who is reportedly worth $6 billion, founded International Forest Products in 1972 and helped it become one of the top importer/exporter company by the late 90s. He also invested in New England Television Corp. in 1982 and later unloaded his shares for around $25 million, the Boston Globe reported.

Kraft married Myra Nathalie Hiatt in 1963. She later died of ovarian cancer in July 2011.

About a year later, he had reportedly been dating 39-year-old actress Ricki Noel Lander. The woman gave birth to a child in 2017 and reports swirled over whether Kraft was the father. He had denied the accusation, according to People.

Kraft’s Patriots won their sixth Super Bowl championship. He owns a home in nearby Palm Beach. "
« Last Edit: Feb 22nd, 2019 at 1:31pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4139 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 8:56pm

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:18am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4140 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 9:02pm

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:19am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4141 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 9:12pm

<  ----------------  Summit Drinks are on Young Joey This Week !   :

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2019 at 10:33am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4142 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 9:26pm

<   ----------------   Some Guy ?!    .............   !!!!!!!!!!    :   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-summit-with-kim-j...

" Trump’s summit with Kim Jong Un is partly hot air. It could also make the world safer.   "

By David Ignatius

" The showy first summit between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last June was draped in flags and bunting, but the decoration covered what turned out to be a mostly empty box that lacked a shared agreement on denuclearization.

Given this disappointing record, what is realistically possible when the two leaders meet again in two weeks in Vietnam?

“Diplomacy is letting someone else have your way,” as Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson once observed. But that adage applies to Kim as much as Trump. The best outcome may simply be a road map that, by opening pathways and marking obstructions, makes both sides safer during a decade-long process toward the U.S. goal of “final, fully verified denuclearization.”

In the run-up to the Hanoi summit, some pragmatic ideas are being floated by experts in and out of the Trump administration. The premise of these discussions is that denuclearization won’t be a sudden stand-down but a phased process that, if it’s successful, will create its own momentum and ever-increasing security.

The baseline for U.S. officials is a recognition that, as Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats put it in congressional testimony last month, “North Korea is unlikely to give up all of its nuclear weapons and production capabilities, even as it seeks to negotiate partial denuclearization steps to obtain key U.S. and international concessions.”

Trump tried to put the best face on this stark assessment afterward, tweeting: “North Korea relationship is best it has ever been with U.S. No testing, getting remains, hostages returned. Decent chance of Denuclearization.” All true, except for the last bit, which remains fuzzy, at best.

Stephen Biegun, Trump’s special envoy for North Korea, offered a frank account in a Jan. 31 speech at Stanford University. “North Korea has given us little indication that they have yet made the decision to completely dismantle and destroy that [nuclear] capability. We all know that.” The challenge, he said, is to “change the trajectory of their policies by changing the trajectory of our own.”

Biegun has been collecting ideas from experts from Stanford and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. It’s not clear what, if anything, has emerged from these conversations, but papers prepared by the two groups illustrate some of the background issues for the Hanoi meeting.

The Carnegie group, led by George Perkovich, Ariel Levite and Toby Dalton, has focused on the importance of comprehensive, verifiable caps on North Korea’s nuclear arsenal during the long process toward denuclearization. In gathering information for their recommendations, they’ve held meetings with Chinese and other international experts.

The Carnegie team has explored how limits on North Korea’s nuclear and missile program might be verified, given the lack of modern infrastructure in that country and its poor record-keeping. The answer, it argues , is “probabilistic verification,” which may not measure every item in the stockpile but can give a reliable overall assessment of whether Pyongyang is complying.

The Stanford team, headed by Siegfried Hecker, Robert Carlin and Elliot Serbin, stresses specific, observable measures of whether the North Korean threat is receding. It argues that “2018 [marked] a halt and some rollback,” after Kim stopped nuclear and missile testing and closed a nuclear test site. And it provides benchmarks to assess whether future diplomacy is sustaining this progress.

“North Korea will not give up its weapons and its weapons program until its security can be assured,” argue the Stanford experts. “Such assurance cannot be achieved simply by an American promise or an agreement on paper, it will require a substantial period of co-existence and interdependence . . . that may stretch to 10 years.”

The Stanford team argues that, as a sweetener (and also to employ North Korean scientists and boost verification), Pyongyang should be allowed to retain a civilian nuclear program and a peaceful space program.

Trump will undoubtedly crank up the hype machine at the Hanoi summit, so experts should analyze carefully the details of whatever agreement emerges — and on whether that accord continues the reduction of the North Korean military threat that began last year.

The bedrock of this diplomatic opening is so basic that people often overlook it. But read carefully what Biegun said at Stanford:

“President Trump is ready to end this war. It is over. It is done. We are not going to invade North Korea. We are not seeking to topple the North Korean regime. . . . We are ready for a different future. It’s bigger than denuclearization, while it stands on the foundation of denuclearization.”

Trump’s summitry with Kim is partly hot air. But there’s something real and fundamental here, too, which could make the world safer.   "
« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2019 at 2:15pm by Joey »  

IP Logged

Some Guy
Resident Cretin

Atlanta
Reply #4143 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:58am

IP Logged

Edith Grove
Agent Provocateur

Disco STILL sucks!

New Orleans
Reply #4144 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 1:39pm
Some Guy wrote on Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:58am:

Since AOC is "the boss" now, perhaps Kraft should answer to her.

IP Logged

gimmekeef
Rocks Off Regular

Ontario Canada
Reply #4145 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 3:13pm
Joey wrote on Feb 25th, 2019 at 9:26pm:
<   ----------------   Some Guy ?!    .............   !!!!!!!!!!    :   

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/global-opinions/trumps-summit-with-kim-j...

" Trump’s summit with Kim Jong Un is partly hot air. It could also make the world safer.   "

By David Ignatius

" The showy first summit between President Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un last June was draped in flags and bunting, but the decoration covered what turned out to be a mostly empty box that lacked a shared agreement on denuclearization.

Given this disappointing record, what is realistically possible when the two leaders meet again in two weeks in Vietnam?

“Diplomacy is letting someone else have your way,” as Canadian Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson once observed. But that adage applies to Kim as much as Trump. The best outcome may simply be a road map that, by opening pathways and marking obstructions, makes both sides safer during a decade-long process toward the U.S. goal of “final, fully verified denuclearization.”

In the run-up to the Hanoi summit, some pragmatic ideas are being floated by experts in and out of the Trump administration. The premise of these discussions is that denuclearization won’t be a sudden stand-down but a phased process that, if it’s successful, will create its own momentum and ever-increasing security.

The baseline for U.S. officials is a recognition that, as Director of National Intelligence Daniel Coats put it in congressional testimony last month, “North Korea is unlikely to give up all of its nuclear weapons and production capabilities, even as it seeks to negotiate partial denuclearization steps to obtain key U.S. and international concessions.”

Trump tried to put the best face on this stark assessment afterward, tweeting: “North Korea relationship is best it has ever been with U.S. No testing, getting remains, hostages returned. Decent chance of Denuclearization.” All true, except for the last bit, which remains fuzzy, at best.

Stephen Biegun, Trump’s special envoy for North Korea, offered a frank account in a Jan. 31 speech at Stanford University. “North Korea has given us little indication that they have yet made the decision to completely dismantle and destroy that [nuclear] capability. We all know that.” The challenge, he said, is to “change the trajectory of their policies by changing the trajectory of our own.”

Biegun has been collecting ideas from experts from Stanford and the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace. It’s not clear what, if anything, has emerged from these conversations, but papers prepared by the two groups illustrate some of the background issues for the Hanoi meeting.

The Carnegie group, led by George Perkovich, Ariel Levite and Toby Dalton, has focused on the importance of comprehensive, verifiable caps on North Korea’s nuclear arsenal during the long process toward denuclearization. In gathering information for their recommendations, they’ve held meetings with Chinese and other international experts.

The Carnegie team has explored how limits on North Korea’s nuclear and missile program might be verified, given the lack of modern infrastructure in that country and its poor record-keeping. The answer, it argues , is “probabilistic verification,” which may not measure every item in the stockpile but can give a reliable overall assessment of whether Pyongyang is complying.

The Stanford team, headed by Siegfried Hecker, Robert Carlin and Elliot Serbin, stresses specific, observable measures of whether the North Korean threat is receding. It argues that “2018 [marked] a halt and some rollback,” after Kim stopped nuclear and missile testing and closed a nuclear test site. And it provides benchmarks to assess whether future diplomacy is sustaining this progress.

“North Korea will not give up its weapons and its weapons program until its security can be assured,” argue the Stanford experts. “Such assurance cannot be achieved simply by an American promise or an agreement on paper, it will require a substantial period of co-existence and interdependence . . . that may stretch to 10 years.”

The Stanford team argues that, as a sweetener (and also to employ North Korean scientists and boost verification), Pyongyang should be allowed to retain a civilian nuclear program and a peaceful space program.

Trump will undoubtedly crank up the hype machine at the Hanoi summit, so experts should analyze carefully the details of whatever agreement emerges — and on whether that accord continues the reduction of the North Korean military threat that began last year.

The bedrock of this diplomatic opening is so basic that people often overlook it. But read carefully what Biegun said at Stanford:

“President Trump is ready to end this war. It is over. It is done. We are not going to invade North Korea. We are not seeking to topple the North Korean regime. . . . We are ready for a different future. It’s bigger than denuclearization, while it stands on the foundation of denuclearization.”

Trump’s summitry with Kim is partly hot air. But there’s something real and fundamental here, too, which could make the world safer.   "

How can anyone realistically expect anything concrete when these two world clowns meet. Trump will sell his soul (not that there's much left) for a Nobel Prize to soothe his ego and Kim loves the stage that Trump has given him.

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4146 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:04pm

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2019 at 9:38am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4147 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:10pm

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2019 at 9:00am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4148 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:16pm

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:54am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Joey
I Have No Life!

Omaha , NE
Reply #4149 - Feb 26th, 2019 at 9:18pm

<  ----------- Some Guy   ?!  .....  !!!!!!   :

https://www.omaha.com/opinion/jennifer-rubin-democratic-voters-aren-t-where-a-lo...

" Jennifer Rubin: Democratic voters aren't where a lot of candidates are .  "
[/font]

" All the energy is on the left. The party is trending left. The progressives will pick the next Democratic candidate. Wrong, wrong and probably wrong.

We've repeatedly pointed out that, contrary to the conventional wisdom and the rhetoric of many Democratic presidential contenders, the party itself favors moderation. We saw this vividly in 2018 when moderates won primaries and went on to knock out incumbent Republicans, while the forces of Sen. Bernie Sanders, I-Vt., failed to flip a single House seat from red to blue. And yet the myth of a hyper-progressive party lives on, most likely because some of the more articulate media figures and candidates encourage the perception. And with the right-wing media machine delighted to focus on the most progressive Democrats so as to support the "Socialist!" scream, it is easy to come to the conclusion that moderates are in retreat. That doesn't make it true.

The most recent piece of evidence for the primacy of moderates comes from the Pew Research Center:

"Among Democratic and Democratic-leaning registered voters, somewhat more say they want the Democratic Party to move in a more moderate (53 percent) than more liberal (40 percent) direction. These views are about the same as they were following the 2014 midterm elections. In November 2016, after Trump's presidential election victory, a somewhat greater share of Democrats (49 percent) wanted the party to head in a more liberal direction."

Now, the definition of what makes a moderate may change over time. Moderates in today's Democratic Party are defenders of Obamacare and incremental movement toward universal coverage, something that only a few years ago would have been seen as quite progressive.

If you want a party moving to the extremes, take a look at the Republicans. "Nearly six in 10 Republican and Republican-leaning registered voters (58 percent) say they want the GOP to move in a more conservative direction, compared with 38 percent who want it to move in a more moderate direction," Pew tells us.

Contrary to the impression of much of the media coverage, the majority of Democrats don't seem to be following the direction of Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., or Sanders. Democratic voters' objectives seem more nuanced than those plotting a wholesale revision of America. Even more than the economy (64 percent), Democratic voters want reducing health-care costs (77 percent) to be a top priority. Education, Medicare and the environment are picked by more than 70 percent of Democrats as a top priority. It seems there is a market for moderate policy proposals to hold down health care costs, improve education, shore up Medicare and protect the environment.

Pew's numbers correlate with Gallup's findings that, although liberals are a narrow majority of the Democratic Party (51 percent), 47 percent are either conservative or moderate.

Well, you might say, "Primary voters will be more progressive than the party as a whole." The problem is that there's no evidence for that. As we noted, in the Democratic midterms, progressives didn't have the votes to propel Sanders-endorsed candidates into the general election. And in 2016, the more moderate Hillary Clinton crushed Sanders among Democrats (64 vs. 36 percent). It was among independents that Sanders did especially well.

What does this all mean? If there are a plethora of super-progressive candidates in the presidential primary all cannibalizing the same group of voters, there is a market for a moderate candidate -- from both moderate voters and voters who think the party should be more moderate to win. Of the announced major candidates, Sen. Amy Klobuchar, D-Minn., is the one aiming at the latter. If Beto O'Rourke and/or former Vice President Joe Biden enter the race, Klobuchar might lose market share, but for now a strategy aimed at electability and moderation makes a lot of sense. "

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2019 at 9:09am by Joey »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 164 165 166 167 168 ... 275
Send Topic Print
(Moderators: Gazza, Voodoo Chile in Wonderland)